Author Topic: KDP Pre-Orders: What we know so far  (Read 11082 times)  

Offline Tasha Black

• Romance with bite!
    • View Profile
    • Tasha Black
KDP Pre-Orders: What we know so far
« on: September 17, 2014, 05:32:07 pm »
After doing a few pre-orders, I have discovered a thing or about the new system. I thought it would be nice if we started a thread to collect some common wisdom.  :)

So, here is what I have learned so far, either from trying first hand, or from KDP responses to my questions:

1. You may set up a pre-order as much as 90 days before the release date.

2. As long as you submit more than 10 days ahead, you are allowed to upload a draft. You can change everything about the draft, as many times as you want, up until 10 days before the release date, at which point you are required to upload a final version. If you change anything after that, you are banned from pre-orders for 1 year. A few days before release, KDP locks the title, so you can't change anything, even if you wanted to. As soon as it goes live, you are free to make as many changes as you want, but the people who pre-ordered will have the file as it was submitted.

3. You can move the date of the release earlier as many times as you want, (but not less than 4 days from submission). You cannot move it later without facing the 1 year ban.

4. The pre-orders affect your rank as they trickle in, not all at once on release day. (Although that is when you get paid for them.)

5. Your book can chart before it is released, but your time as a "new release" doesn't start ticking until after the actual release date.

6. If the book is enrolled in Select, the 90 days starts on the release date.

7. KDP pulls estimated page numbers from the draft, so if you upload something incomplete, your book details may not match up with the finished product. (Some people in the replies are saying that this is no longer true!)

Hope this helps! Does anyone else have anything to add that they have picked up from the pre-order process?

Here are a few more things -

After you upload the final version, you are locked out of making any changes to the book before launch, including description, price, keywords, etc.

The book will go live just after midnight (or close enough) in the early morning hours of your launch date.

You will be able to make changes to your book almost as soon as it goes live.

The pre-order sales will show up on your KDP "Units Ordered" graph as a sales spike on the day before your launch date.  Mine appeared the night before.

The Also-bought feature is activated during the pre-sale period in the same way it's activated during a normal launch - It will show up as Also-Viewed until a certain period of time and a certain number of sales have been achieved.

There's no "Look Inside" during the pre-sale period.  Some people have mentioned adding their book excerpt to their author info on Author Central.  Those with a shorter excerpt can just include it in the book description.

Without the "Look Inside" graphic, your book's thumbnail looks bigger in the Also-bought lists.  Just interesting, not important  :)

That's all I can think of!

Thanks, EllisaBarr!

1. No reviews may be posted until the publication date and beyond.

2.  Your book will show up in the "Coming Soon" for your category. (which is nice) 

3.  If your book is a Short Read, it won't be able to rank in that category until publication date and beyond, as no page numbers will show until then.

Thanks, Judy!

It also looks like the Createspace paperback will link up with the ebook version before the release date of the ebook. It can even be sold before the ebook release. Reviews will show up on the Kindle version if someone reviews the paperback before the ebook launch. (EllisaBarr again!)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 11:06:08 am by Tasha Black »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Jerri Kay Lincoln

• Arizona mountains
    • The happier you are, the happier you are . . .
      • View Profile
      • JerriLincoln
    Re: KDP Pre-Orders: What we know so far
    « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:10:51 pm »
    Thank you for this!  You answered many questions that I had.

JK Lincoln

Offline EllisaBarr

• View Profile
      • Ellisa Barr
    « Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 09:41:33 pm »
    Here are a few more things -

After you upload the final version, you are locked out of making any changes to the book before launch, including description, price, keywords, etc.

ETA: Other people say they weren't locked out like I was, so there's some inconsistency in this right now.

The book will go live just after midnight (or close enough) in the early morning hours of your launch date.

You will be able to make changes to your book almost as soon as it goes live.

The pre-order sales will show up on your KDP "Units Ordered" graph as a sales spike on the day before your launch date.  Mine appeared the night before.

The Also-bought feature is activated during the pre-sale period in the same way it's activated during a normal launch - It will show up as Also-Viewed until a certain period of time and a certain number of sales have been achieved.

There's no "Look Inside" during the pre-sale period.  Some people have mentioned adding their book excerpt to their author info on Author Central.  Those with a shorter excerpt can just include it in the book description.

Without the "Look Inside" graphic, your book's thumbnail looks bigger in the Also-bought lists.  Just interesting, not important  :)

That's all I can think of!

*Edited to add:

You can launch your paperback through Createspace before your ebook pre-order goes live.  After the normal waiting period, the 2 versions will become associated with each other on the same listing page, with the paperback book for sale, and the digital book still on pre-order.  I've seen reviews on pre-orders, and it's because the paperback is available for sale and people are reviewing the paperback.  Nice little work around!
    « Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 10:13:17 am by EllisaBarr »

No One Is Powerless

Offline Dom

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 10:47:16 pm »
    What about CreateSpace?

Can we put print books up during the pre-order period and get them linked and everything in advance?

Offline MajesticMonkey

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 07:59:29 am »

3. You can move the date of the release up as many times as you want, but you cannot move it back without facing the 1 year ban.

Thanks for your post.

Let me make sure I understand this correctly, I assume "back" is further out in to the future? So if you planned an October 19 release, make it a October 28 release. Also you are saying you can move the release day date from October 19 to October 10? As long as it's 10 days out from it's release day.

Offline 75845

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 08:45:08 am »
    What about CreateSpace?

Can we put print books up during the pre-order period and get them linked and everything in advance?

CreateSpace restricts you to publication dates in the past or accepting the date that it goes live as the publication date.

Offline Mystery Maven

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 08:52:35 am »
    Thank you for this thread! It saved me a lot of searching and sifting.

Mercia, can you link the live paperback to the kindle pre-order page though? And do your days as a new release start when the paperback goes live? Or does the kindle book get a separate new release period?

Offline TexasGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 08:55:45 am »
    I believe Amazon has dropped the page estimates from preorders as people were uploading 12-page files early, then 300 page files later, and this was causing a lot of drama.

Offline Tasha Black

• Romance with bite!
      • View Profile
      • Tasha Black
    « Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 08:56:52 am »
    Thanks for your post.

Let me make sure I understand this correctly, I assume "back" is further out in to the future? So if you planned an October 19 release, make it a October 28 release. Also you are saying you can move the release day date from October 19 to October 10? As long as it's 10 days out from it's release day.

Yes. Sorry that wasn't very clear!   :D

If you put in a launch date of 10/19, you cannot move it to ANY date after that without getting banned. (For some, it might be worth taking the one year ban to avoid having an inferior product go out.)

You can move it to ANY date before 10/19, regardless of how far that date it from today. You could move it from 10/19 until tomorrow if you want. The only restriction is that if your release date is less than 10 days away, you MUST upload a final version at that time.

I changed the date on my last pre-order a few days before it was scheduled, to better line up with a promo I wanted to run.

Hope that is more clear!

Offline Tasha Black

• Romance with bite!
      • View Profile
      • Tasha Black
    « Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 09:22:23 am »
    I believe Amazon has dropped the page estimates from preorders as people were uploading 12-page files early, then 300 page files later, and this was causing a lot of drama.
    That would be nice. On my first pre-order, I uploaded the first few chapters as a draft, and it said my book was like 20 pages long!

The one I have coming up in October still has a length in the description, but maybe the change is only for new pre-orders going forward.

Thanks!

Offline meh

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 09:27:28 am »
    Other things I didn't see mentioned: 

1. No reviews may be posted until the publication date and beyond.

2.  Your book will show up in the "Coming Soon" for your category. (which is nice) 

3.  If your book is a Short Read, it won't be able to rank in that category until publication date and beyond, as no page numbers will show until then.

Offline Tasha Black

• Romance with bite!
      • View Profile
      • Tasha Black
    « Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 09:32:58 am »

My last one did rank in short reads before release, but this holds true with what TexasGirl said about no longer including page numbers.
    « Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:36:58 am by Tasha Black »

Offline Randall Boleyn

• VA
    • Randall Boleyn
      • View Profile
      • RandallBoleyn.com
    « Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 10:09:53 am »
    What about CreateSpace?

I called CreateSpace two weeks ago specifically about this question. The agent at CS repeated over and over to my myriad of questions about the KDP verses CS publishing date, that "CreateSpace is a totally different product and has no relationship with KDP. Once a title is published on CreateSpace, within 5 days, Createspace would place the POD paperback listing and information on any Amazon sales page listing that same title."
    So, I cannot confirm how this will work, but I have a pre-order listing of Wave Links set to publish on OCT 21. I intend to send out ARCs for reviews next week and publish the Createspace edition on Oct 5. I am in hopes the the paperback listing is added on my KDP pre-order sales page and reviews can be posted. I hope it doesn't cost me a year in the KDP Pre-order dog house. I highly encourage anyone to call CreateSpace ( their customer service is excellent and very assessable) and pose this question and post your interpretation on this dilemma.

Offline EllisaBarr

• View Profile
      • Ellisa Barr
    « Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 10:14:54 am »
    My paperback with Createspace went live before my ebook version.  The books were even linked on Amazon, so people could (and did) buy the paperback before my Amazon pre-order launch date.  I wish I'd looked more closely, but I suspect I could have gotten reviews before my launch if people reviewed the paperback.

No One Is Powerless

Offline D-C

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Author website
    « Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 10:20:19 am »
    My last one did rank in short reads before release, but this holds true with what TexasGirl said about no longer including page numbers.

Mine ranked in short reads before release, and regularly dips back in.

Offline atmaweapon

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 12:59:14 pm »
    So if you upload a paperback version via CreateSpace, it goes live immediately, but links to the pre-order page for the ebook. Is this correct? Also, if you've enrolled your book in the matchbox program, can people who buy the paperback version also pre-order the ebook at the matchbook price? Because if they did, that would make an awesome incentive for fans to buy the print book while the ebook is still in pre-order.

Offline Tasha Black

• Romance with bite!
      • View Profile
      • Tasha Black
    « Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 02:09:04 pm »
    So if you upload a paperback version via CreateSpace, it goes live immediately, but links to the pre-order page for the ebook. Is this correct? Also, if you've enrolled your book in the matchbox program, can people who buy the paperback version also pre-order the ebook at the matchbook price? Because if they did, that would make an awesome incentive for fans to buy the print book while the ebook is still in pre-order.
    Interesting question about Matchbook. I would hope that was the case, but I really don't know. I tend to do the paperbacks as kind of an afterthought. Never actually had one ready before an ebook launched!  :)
    Curious to see if someone has any experience with this.

Offline meh

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 03:35:53 pm »
    Createspace books usually take a few days before they show up on Amazon. I've never had enough print sales for it to be a factor of any kind. I typically schedule to have it up sometime the same week as the eBook, if there is a print version.

Offline EllisaBarr

• View Profile
      • Ellisa Barr
    « Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 06:13:20 pm »

It goes live immediately on Createspace but takes a few days before it goes up on Amazon.  Then a few more days to link to the pre-order page.  I was enrolled in the matchbook program, but I don't know if the two people that ordered the paperback pre-ordered the digital version.  I wish I'd thought to try it myself!

No One Is Powerless

Offline TexasGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: September 21, 2014, 09:23:33 am »
    Just put up two preorders and no page count yet. I'll check them again in a few days, since that can take a while to populate.

Offline Clare K. R. Miller

• Maryland
      • View Profile
      • Clare K. R. Miller
    « Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 10:36:07 am »
    Here's a question: If you list your preorder with a release date and then upload your final version at the ten-day mark, can you still push the release date forward, so you don't have to wait the full ten days between having your book ready and having it for sale?

For example, say I set up a pre-order today that will go live on October 10. On October 1, I upload the final version. Can I then change the release date to October 5?

I'm guessing the answer is no, but it would be nice.

Offline D-C

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Author website
    « Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 11:09:05 am »
    Here's a question: If you list your preorder with a release date and then upload your final version at the ten-day mark, can you still push the release date forward, so you don't have to wait the full ten days between having your book ready and having it for sale?

For example, say I set up a pre-order today that will go live on October 10. On October 1, I upload the final version. Can I then change the release date to October 5?

I'm guessing the answer is no, but it would be nice.
    I agree, why wait ten days for it to go live if the author confirms it's ready?

Offline Just Browsing

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 11:14:43 am »
    If you are an indie with an Amazon rep, you can get them to enable the reviews section on pre-orders (or at least, several people have had this work for them. I don't know that *every* Amazon rep can or will do this). The default though is no reviews till the book goes live.

Offline Amy Corwin

• Clarkton, NC
    • Author of Historical Mysteries and Paranormals
      • View Profile
      • Amy Corwin, Author
    « Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 11:23:01 am »
    Thank you so much for this thread--you answered two of my questions, that is:
    * That the "New Release" clock doesn't start ticking until the actual release date (whew); and
    * That the pre-release sales are "counted" as far as sales numbers on the day the sale is made, not accumulated and added to the release day sales (although that's when the money is credited). Sigh.

I would have preferred the pre-release sales to be accumulated and thrown all at one on the actual release day. That would have been sweet (at least for me) because my pre-release sales have trickled in at a rate of about 1 per day which is yawn-inspiring. ha, ha

Anyway, thanks again for this thread. I'm learning a lot by reading it.

Offline Moist_Tissue

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 11:26:15 am »

They haven't. I uploaded a draft. It estimates it as a "short read" and it is automatically putting that book into the "short reads" subcategories in the genre listings.

From my book:

Print Length: 80 pages

Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror
    Books > Romance > Multicultural
    Books > Romance > Paranormal
    Books > Teen & Young Adult
    Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Romance
    Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Teen & Young Adult
    Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Horror
    Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Holidays
    Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Multicultural & Interracial
    Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Paranormal > Ghosts
    Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult

My keywords and categories are a mess right now.
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:31:05 am by Moist_Tissue »
    The Molly Malones: 100%

Siuil a Run: 100%

To The Valley's Edge: 0%
    Siobhn Babhar

KBoards.com

• Advertisement