Author Topic: LibraryThing Giveaway Tips  (Read 4618 times)  

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
LibraryThing Giveaway Tips
« on: March 20, 2016, 10:12:24 am »
I've had great luck with LibraryThing.com giveaways. I run one every two weeks, and I've gotten a lot of great Amazon reviews from the winners, especially for Yesterday's Thief. You can give away ebooks, so there is no cost.

I have not been happy with GoodReads giveaways. I figured the cost to be over $20 for every review I ended up with.

Tip 1: Consider the Duplicates

I'd been wondering why in the recent winners announcement emails I was only getting 50% or fewer opens. Then I discovered that there are people who enter every contest, even if they've already won that same book in the past.

Tip 2: Getting the Emails of the Winners

It would be great if LT would just email you a list of the emails of the winners, but it's more complicated than that. You go to a special winners page that lists all your giveaways and winners. It's a mess, with meaningless codes instead of dates for the different contests.

But the winners are listed chronologically, so go to the last page, copy the info from the winners of the latest contest, and paste it into a text file. Page back and repeat if necessary. Then, in the text file, delete everything except the email lines. Then copy and import into mailchimp.

If you've found an easier way, please let me know.

Here's the email I send:

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 10:22:19 am by TromboneAl »

Al Macy | Web Site

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline KeraEmory

• View Profile
    Re: LibraryThing Giveaway Tips
    « Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 10:17:48 am »
    Don't suppose you'd be willing to do a little step by step instruction? I get hopelessly confused on that site and I seem to recall that the last time I tried to investigate, I came away with the impression that you could only give away print copies.

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 10:27:26 am »
    Don't suppose you'd be willing to do a little step by step instruction? I get hopelessly confused on that site and I seem to recall that the last time I tried to investigate, I came away with the impression that you could only give away print copies.

Yes. I have a cheat sheet, since I can never remember how to do it. Here it is:

Go to LibraryThing.com and log in.

Choose "More" from the menu at the top.

Select Get Free Books

Select current titles on offer (Under member giveaways)

Select Post a Giveaway in the menu (a few lines down from the top).

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline KeraEmory

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 10:31:36 am »
    Yes. I have a cheat sheet, since I can never remember how to do it. Here it is:

Go to LibraryThing.com and log in.

Choose "More" from the menu at the top.

Select Get Free Books

Select current titles on offer (Under member giveaways)

Select Post a Giveaway in the menu (a few lines down from the top).

Thanks!

I think I've worked out some of it, and I see why I thought it was print-books only, one of the rules mentions you must cover the cost of shipping. I wasn't an official author yet, so I 'applied' for that.

How do you deliver your ebooks? File attachments?

Thanks again.

Online Accord64

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 11:43:29 am »
    Tip 1: Consider the Duplicates

I'd been wondering why in the recent winners announcement emails I was only getting 50% or fewer opens. Then I discovered that there are people who enter every contest, even if they've already won that same book in the past.

Yeah, I've notice the same thing. Nothing you can do about it, just a fact of life with LT giveaways. I send everyone a winners notice regardless.

I distribute my eBook through a Smashwords coupon. That way I can track how many actually claim the book. My average varies, but it's usually around a 50% claim rate.

While I've had some good success with getting reviews from LT giveaways, this year has been different (so far). More people are entering, but fewer claiming their eBook on SW, and fewer still leaving reviews. 

Offline Indecisive

• View Profile
      • www.ameliasmith.net
    « Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 12:01:03 pm »
    I've emailed files directly to winners in the past, but next time I think I'm going to use BookFunnel.

The site is a little annoying to navigate, but I've gotten some reviews from my past giveaways there, often re-posted to Goodreads and sometimes to Amazon, too.

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 12:42:35 pm »
    How do you deliver your ebooks? File attachments?

I give them the link to a page that holds their hand in case they have trouble getting it to their Kindle:

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline Marseille, France or Bust

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 01:20:12 pm »
    I just concluded 2 giveaways with LT. I only gave away 5 books of each title, despite it being an ebook. I've noticed that the fewer the copies, the more entries I receive. I guess it seems more valuable than someone giving away 100 books. If you have another theory, chime in.

I sent them all a CONGRATS email with a Kindle version attached, along with instructions for uploading in a pdf. (Also said if they would appreciate another version other than Kindle, just let me know and I'll send straight away). I also asked them to be so kind as to leave a review (I used a bit of humor to encourage) with review links to make it easy.

I was a winner recently of a free book from LT and the author's email was off-putting. They just sent the file and said to leave reviews all over the place without even sending links. It rubbed me the wrong way, for sure. I emailed them back and said they should have included the direct links. They sent the Amazon link only - so I only posted on LT and Amazon. If they're too lazy to give the reviewer what they need, then I won't bend over backwards to help.

Offline GhostGirlWriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 01:25:10 pm »
    These are great tips. Thanks!

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 03:51:20 pm »
    I've had a lot of luck with Library Thing - I usually get a couple reviews. I was hesitant to use it, since a few people have posted on the boards saying it didn't work or they got semi-harsh reviews. But it's completely free and takes only ten minutes and honestly, all the comments have been really nice (nothing scathing). The amount of time investment is minimal (and the capital investment is zero) so anyone on the fence should check it out.

I just send the winners an email with the attachments, putting all the addresses in the BCC field.

Nick

Offline Nancy_G

• Chicagoland
    • A Chicago girl with a mighty pen
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 07:05:45 pm »
    I've also had luck with a few reviews from Library Thing. My tip is to make it 100 copies so you're closer to the top; the lower the number, the lower your book position, not good. You want it at the top. This tip was given to me by another author who told me about LT. I also did one for a printed version, but mostly ebook. It's quick and easy. I've added myself as an author and add books I've read. It's a little quieter than Goodreads, but harder to add friends, unlike GR.
    Nancy

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 07:46:16 am »
    My tip is to make it 100 copies so you're closer to the top; the lower the number, the lower your book position, not good.

Good point. I hadn't realized that. I just updated mine to make it 100 copies. Note that you can update it at any time.

The default sort order seems to be # Copies then End Date. That's a reason to use one-week giveaways, but it's twice as much work to send out the emails than with two-week promos.

Some HTML tags work. They say that H1 works, but it doesn't seem to.

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline CW Scott

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 09:05:27 am »
    I've had great luck with LT. Good to know about readers entering every contest. I was entering the winners email address into gmail and it recognized it because I had emailed them previously. I thought maybe they weren't getting my emails, or simply not checking them frequently.

I send links to custom dropbox folders. They can click on the corresponding file type they want. I get worried about emailing the files directly and the reader complaining I sent a large file, or it gets blocked for whatever reason. It also keeps me from asking them which format. Not that I don't mind interaction, but I don't want them to have to email me back if they don't want.

Haven't done a lot with goodreads. I am starting to believe they are quite harsh with reviews overall, and I can only use print versions which is pricey. LT has been netting me 1 or 2 reviews per giveaway. I run it for 1 week or 2, and take a week off in between. I've found the readers on LT to be very responsive and will usually let me know if they liked the book.

CW Scott | Amazon Author Page

Online Accord64

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 09:22:34 am »
    Haven't done a lot with goodreads. I am starting to believe they are quite harsh with reviews overall, and I can only use print versions which is pricey. LT has been netting me 1 or 2 reviews per giveaway. I run it for 1 week or 2, and take a week off in between. I've found the readers on LT to be very responsive and will usually let me know if they liked the book.

You can also request that they post their reviews over on Goodreads (and Amazon, etc.). Many are GR members and are willing to post their reviews on sites other than LT. Just provide links in your notification email and let them decide if they want to do so.
    « Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:24:14 am by Accord64 »

Offline KeraEmory

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 11:44:54 am »
    So am I correct in assuming I won't be able to see a list of the requesters until the giveaway ends?

Offline ThePete

• Florida swamp rat lost in Germany
    • "[Expletive Deleted]"
      • View Profile
      • Freelance Copyeditor and Independent Author
    « Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 03:26:04 pm »
    I've had great luck with LT. Good to know about readers entering every contest. I was entering the winners email address into gmail and it recognized it because I had emailed them previously. I thought maybe they weren't getting my emails, or simply not checking them frequently.

I send links to custom dropbox folders. They can click on the corresponding file type they want. I get worried about emailing the files directly and the reader complaining I sent a large file, or it gets blocked for whatever reason. It also keeps me from asking them which format. Not that I don't mind interaction, but I don't want them to have to email me back if they don't want.

Exactly right. You get the best response rate by removing as many obstacles as possible between the contact and the download. I'd also use this approach for everyone you contact anywhere. You'll see the response rate shoot up drastically.

Oh, and with Goodreads, you get the same exposure giving away one copy as a hundred.
    « Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 03:29:55 pm by ThePete »
    Freelance Copy Editor and Author Since 2013
    Website | Kboard's Thread

Offline Nancy_G

• Chicagoland
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: March 25, 2016, 03:26:49 pm »
    So am I correct in assuming I won't be able to see a list of the requesters until the giveaway ends?

Yes, that is correct. The strange thing is you also get their home address along with their e-mail. I can see for the print version.
    Nancy

Offline KeraEmory

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: March 25, 2016, 04:33:33 pm »
    Yes, that is correct. The strange thing is you also get their home address along with their e-mail. I can see for the print version.

Yikes!

Thanks for the info.

Offline FFJ

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: March 25, 2016, 05:00:14 pm »
    Thanks TromboneAl and everyone else for our tips.

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 07:10:34 am »
    I was curious about the readers who enter every week. I sent them an email asking:

>I've noticed that you've entered the giveaways for my books three or more times. I'm curious as to why you do this? Do you enter every giveaway every time?

The responses I got were:

1. I usually don't enter every time. Either it's because I have forgotten that I have a copy of the book in my TBR pile or I never received a copy.

2. Yes, I do.  The author usually tells me when I forget and do that and I withdraw my entry to give others a fair chance.  I'm on multiple review sites and sometimes it's hard to keep them straight.  If you can give me the name of your work that I already have, I'll withdraw my entry.
    Sorry for the confusion.

3. They seem like interesting reads.

Al Macy | Web Site

Online Accord64

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: April 26, 2016, 11:49:46 am »
    I was curious about the readers who enter every week. I sent them an email asking:

>I've noticed that you've entered the giveaways for my books three or more times. I'm curious as to why you do this? Do you enter every giveaway every time?

The responses I got were:

1. I usually don't enter every time. Either it's because I have forgotten that I have a copy of the book in my TBR pile or I never received a copy.

2. Yes, I do.  The author usually tells me when I forget and do that and I withdraw my entry to give others a fair chance.  I'm on multiple review sites and sometimes it's hard to keep them straight.  If you can give me the name of your work that I already have, I'll withdraw my entry.
    Sorry for the confusion.

3. They seem like interesting reads.

Very interesting. I experience duplicate winners on LT giveaways all the time and have wondered why these people keep entering. You're courageous to ask.  8)

I'm not too concerned about duplicates. I've always thought the more entries a giveaway has, the more entries it attracts. Although someday I fear a giveaway will end with nothing but duplicate winners.  ;) 

Offline dorihoxa

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: June 11, 2016, 02:24:13 pm »
    Bringing this one back with a question because I'm super new to LT: When you enter a book for giveaway, can you see it on the list?
    I listed mine yesterday and it was supposed to start today, but I got no email confirmation, and I can't find my book anywhere on the giveaway list. Does anybody know why?

Thanks, guys.

Offline Nancy_G

• Chicagoland
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: June 11, 2016, 02:48:10 pm »
    Bringing this one back with a question because I'm super new to LT: When you enter a book for giveaway, can you see it on the list?
    I listed mine yesterday and it was supposed to start today, but I got no email confirmation, and I can't find my book anywhere on the giveaway list. Does anybody know why?

Thanks, guys.

I see it Once Upon a One Night Stand? Audiobook? Did you want it to be audiobook or ebook? Also, I'd put your name in the publisher part instead of the self published.
    « Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 03:06:18 pm by Nancy Glynn »
    Nancy

Online Accord64

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: June 11, 2016, 02:52:04 pm »

Thanks, guys.

It should appear at the same time of day that you entered it. So if you entered the giveaway at 5:00 yesterday (to start the next day) it will appear at 5:00 today. That's my past experience, at least. I tend to start my giveaways on the same day that I enter them.

If you feel that you've gone past the start time, then I'd recheck the giveaway details (under "your giveaways") to make sure something wasn't set up incorrectly.

Offline Nancy_G

• Chicagoland
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: June 11, 2016, 03:03:35 pm »
    It should appear at the same time of day that you entered it. So if you entered the giveaway at 5:00 yesterday (to start the next day) it will appear at 5:00 today. That's my past experience, at least. I tend to start my giveaways on the same day that I enter them.

If you feel that you've gone past the start time, then I'd recheck the giveaway details (under "your giveaways") to make sure something wasn't set up incorrectly.

I've told her upthread I see it (above your post), so hopefully she'll see this and find it but it is in audiobook, which I wonder about.
    Nancy

KBoards.com

• Advertisement