Author Topic: Editor seeking new clients  (Read 1421 times)  

Offline davidburton

• View Profile
    • EconomyEdits
Editor seeking new clients
« on: March 11, 2017, 12:02:29 pm »
Hello.

This post in a nutshell: I want to work with you.

A fantastic editor. ~ Ryan Lieske
Economy Edits is first class. ~ Geraldine Evans
A wonderful person to work with. ~ MA Leibfritz
Easy to follow and made perfect sense. ~ Nicole DelaCroix

I am the principal editor at EconomyEdits.wordpress.com

I love the authors I work with, but would like to work with more wonderful writers more often, so I am seeking new clients.

Until now, I have found most new clients via personal recommendations. However, some of my clients suggested I register and post here, as there are many talented writers seeking quality editorial assistance at affordable prices.

And this is what I offer.

My work is thorough and professional, yet I charge only $5 per 1000 words, meaning just $250 for your 50k novel.

Because I am moving from part-time to full-time, I currently have editing slots available, and would love to discuss how you can help me fill them.

Please check out my website, read our testimonials, and then... contact me, so we can begin.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kindest regards,

Dave ~ your next and last editor
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 12:58:07 pm by davidburton »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline ilamont

• Mass.
      • View Profile
    Re: Editor seeking new clients
    « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 03:12:27 pm »
    Hi Dave, that's a very competitive rate. Good luck recruiting new clients.

- Ian

Offline Blocked Writer

• re-starting a new adventure...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 05:31:35 pm »
    Are you any relation to the David Burton mentioned in The Grand Obsession?

Offline JohnRickett

• New Jersey
      • View Profile
      • John Rickett
    « Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 06:19:14 pm »

My work is thorough and professional, yet I charge only $5 per 1000 words, meaning just $250 for your 50k novel.

Specifically, what type of editing does that rate cover? Proofreading? Line? Developmental?

John Rickett | website | goodreads | twitter
    Facebook

Offline Becca Mills

• Global Moderator
    • California
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 08:04:10 pm »
    Greetings, Dave! You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Cafe!

Now that you have an official thread, you'll want to add your listing to our Yellow Pages, found here: https://www.kboards.com/yp/. The listing is free to KB members and is completely self-service; you can add and edit your listing from the page. More information on our Yellow Pages listing can be found here.

In your thread here, we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar: you may have this one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time. New threads about the service will be removed. Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again when you want to post. You may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days. If someone responds (as I'm doing with this post), you may reply to them, but otherwise you must wait seven days. Please note that very short or (one- or two-word) posts with no meaningful information are discouraged and may be deleted at the moderators' discretion. Lastly, your posts and images will need to meet our "forum decorum" guidelines, which is the case for every member.

Note that members are allowed to provide civil and honest feedback about your service to this thread. This feedback may include criticisms as well as kudos. You may respond in a civil manner. Members may also ask questions -- about how the service works, for example, or what they will get for their money, or whether your service adheres to Amazon's terms of service.

Disputes between you and clients should be handled off-site.

Thanks,
    Becca
    KBoards Moderator

(Note that this welcome does not constitute an endorsement or vetting of a service by KBoards. Members should do due diligence when considering using a service.)

Welcome! :)
    Read about using the Writers' Cafe here. Our larger "forum decorum" is here. The site's overall terms of use are here. Please be aware of this material.
    Troubleshooting: If you're having difficulties with advertising on KBoards, the contact email is [email protected] You can also use our PM system to contact the site's owners via the vsAdmin account. The Link-Maker and Author Signature Tool long longer function. There's a manual version of the former here and a workaround for the latter here.

Offline MWhateley

• Sheffield - United Kingdom
      • View Profile
      • My WordPress blog
    « Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 08:41:41 am »
    David is my Editor. I have used him on my last two books, and will be using him on future books. His prices are great, and I have been very pleased with his editing. It has improved my work without taking away my style.

Welcome to kboards Dave.

Offline davidburton

• View Profile
      • EconomyEdits
    « Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 07:51:39 am »
    Hi Dave, that's a very competitive rate. Good luck recruiting new clients.

- Ian

Hi Ian,

Many thanks.

I also offer a 10% discount for clients who recommend other clients, so this fee could reduce further. For example, if you recommend a client who pays me for a 50k edit, you would be entitled to a 5k edit. This could be either a stand alone short story, or combined with other discounts earned from other clients you recommend. So, if you recommended ten clients who all paid me to edit a 50k manuscript, you would be entitled to 10 x 5k edits, so a full 50k free edit of your own.

Here's hoping we get to work together someday.

Regards,
    Dave

Offline davidburton

• View Profile
      • EconomyEdits
    « Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 07:53:50 am »
    Are you any relation to the David Burton mentioned in The Grand Obsession?

As far as I am aware, no.  ;D

Offline davidburton

• View Profile
      • EconomyEdits
    « Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 08:00:50 am »
    Specifically, what type of editing does that rate cover? Proofreading? Line? Developmental?

Hi John,

Thank you for the question.

My rate covers the main tasks required, as in line editing and proofreading. I focus on the following, as pasted from my website, where I say:

use the wrong there/their, stationery/stationary, affect/effect
    should have a full-stop in place of a comma
    are missing quotation marks
    are using a passive voice
    use some words too often
    use words like very that can be replaced by stronger ones

Basically, I highlight anything that will pull your reader away from your story, be it grammar, plot, style or voice. Plus, if the client has specific queries or concerns, they can tell me about those, which I also keep in mind while editing.

I can help with developmental and other aspects, but a fee would be negotiated.

I hope this clarifies my position, and I hope to work with you soon.

Regards,
    Dave

Offline davidburton

• View Profile
      • EconomyEdits
    « Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 08:02:20 am »
    Greetings, Dave! You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Cafe!

Now that you have an official thread, you'll want to add your listing to our Yellow Pages, found here: https://www.kboards.com/yp/. The listing is free to KB members and is completely self-service; you can add and edit your listing from the page. More information on our Yellow Pages listing can be found here.

In your thread here, we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar: you may have this one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time. New threads about the service will be removed. Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again when you want to post. You may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days. If someone responds (as I'm doing with this post), you may reply to them, but otherwise you must wait seven days. Please note that very short or (one- or two-word) posts with no meaningful information are discouraged and may be deleted at the moderators' discretion. Lastly, your posts and images will need to meet our "forum decorum" guidelines, which is the case for every member.

Note that members are allowed to provide civil and honest feedback about your service to this thread. This feedback may include criticisms as well as kudos. You may respond in a civil manner. Members may also ask questions -- about how the service works, for example, or what they will get for their money, or whether your service adheres to Amazon's terms of service.

Disputes between you and clients should be handled off-site.

Thanks,
    Becca
    KBoards Moderator

(Note that this welcome does not constitute an endorsement or vetting of a service by KBoards. Members should do due diligence when considering using a service.)

Many thanks, Becca. I hope for a promising future through everyone here.

Offline davidburton

• View Profile
      • EconomyEdits
    « Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 08:03:48 am »
    David is my Editor. I have used him on my last two books, and will be using him on future books. His prices are great, and I have been very pleased with his editing. It has improved my work without taking away my style.

Welcome to kboards Dave.

Hi Michael,

Many thanks for the welcome and the kind words. I love working with you, and am already looking forward to our next adventure together.

Don't forget the discount I mentioned above, as it applies to all clients, not just new ones.

Regards,
    Dave

Offline davidburton

• View Profile
      • EconomyEdits
    « Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 02:54:15 pm »
    Hello Writers,

I have received some interesting enquiries, and look forward to working with some of you in the future.

However, if anyone is seeking editing NOW (or over the next eight weeks), please try me, as I do have some editing slots I would like to fill, and you could be the answer.

My rates are a surprisingly low $5 per 1000 words, but I am thorough, respectful and honest. You can trust me to help you as best I can.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
    Dave

Offline davidburton

• View Profile
      • EconomyEdits
    « Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 01:02:42 pm »
    Looking to help potential clients afford my already-low editing fees, here is an update regarding...

Fees and plans

Rates are negotiable, but I currently offer my thorough and comprehensive notes and suggestions for just 4 (or $5) per 1000 words. This means your 50k novel will be edited and returned to you for just 200/$250.

If you are scheduling more than three months in advance, a non-refundable 40/$50 deposit is required to hold your dates. However, this will be offset against the final fee.

A 50% down payment should be paid before I begin the edit, with the 50% remaining balance paid before the completed work is returned.

Monthly payment plans are available, so long as the above criteria/deadlines are met. I understand it can be difficult to find even these low fees in one payment, so instalments are an option. Contact me for more information.

Anything shorter than 10k should be paid in full upon submission.

All payments can be made by bank transfer, WesternUnion, MoneyGram or PayPal.

Offline davidburton

• View Profile
      • EconomyEdits

Offline davidburton

• View Profile
      • EconomyEdits
    « Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 04:22:22 pm »
    Hello everyone,
    Great news, I'm starting a full-time job on August 30th, so wanted to put the word out that I'm available for any/all writers (and your friends) looking for something edited! From short stories through novellas to novels and screenplays. You can have my full attention before I become focused on the new job.
    If not, I wish everyone well but hope to hear from you soon.
    Regards,
    Dave

KBoards.com

• Advertisement