Author Topic: Round 2 of book cover designs, feedback needed for the two finalists!  (Read 763 times)  

Offline ilamont

• Mass.
    • View Profile
Many thanks to everyone who gave feedback on earlier rounds of my Lean Media book design process (including the subtitle and the first round of design comps). I really enjoyed reading through your comments, which helped me see the proposed designs in a new light and take away some ideas for the next round.

Like any design-oriented Lean Media project, the feedback is not intended to be a winner-takes-all vote, but rather to inform the creative team (myself and TLC Book Design). Before I shared the designs, I was leaning toward #2, #4, or #6 and was on the fence about #3 (see the first round designs here) but after seeing comments on KBoards, Twitter, and Facebook I decided to push #3 and #6 forward. (FWIW, the most popular designs were #2, #3, #6, and #9 with #1 close behind).

So here is round 2, with four designs based on each of the two finalists. What do you think? Which one strikes your fancy? Any comments are appreciated.

You can also see larger versions, along with more commentary on how feedback influenced the next round, on this blog post: Lean Media book covers: How we used feedback to choose 2 finalists 

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Sarah Shaw

• Prague
      • View Profile
    I vote 2.

Offline liamashe

• Central Florida
      • View Profile
      • My Home Page
    #2. The white on blue title makes the words pop, and the slight shadowing gives it a nice depth. Also (as a life-long marketing and media exec), I really like the three stage flow. The cover suggests you are going to teach me a process, something useful that I can apply right away. Simply, it implies "Easy as one, two, three."

As for the other options, #1 is a close second. #3 and #4 are a little too bland. Nothing catches my eye. The final four are visual static. I see the title on each, but the extensive line art/iconography just becomes visual noise. They tell me nothing and give me no better reason to pick up the book.

Liam Ashe | Home | Facebook | Instagram

Offline ilamont

• Mass.
      • View Profile
    #2. The white on blue title makes the words pop, and the slight shadowing gives it a nice depth. Also (as a life-long marketing and media exec), I really like the three stage flow. The cover suggests you are going to teach me a process, something useful that I can apply right away. Simply, it implies "Easy as one, two, three."

This is very helpful. A few follow-up questions:

1. When comparing #2 to the other 3 variations of this design, is it the color scheme that's the main differentiator for you?
    2. Does having the gears vs. the circles (#3 or #4) or the connected colors (#1) matter to you? Or just having the 3-stage concept is enough, regardless of what the icons look like?

Also, if you could share the latest round with any peers and colleagues who work in media, I would be very grateful. They can leave comments on the blog post or on Twitter if they don't have Kboards accounts.

Thanks!   

Offline cvwriter

• View Profile
      • Courtney Vail
    #2 is definitely the best. The light on dark contrast helps it to really stand out, the subtitle is legible, and the artwork is great and eye-catching also. It looks professional and clean. The bottom ones are just not as compelling.
    Get it FREE >> Get it FREE >>       

Offline Sefirosukuraodo

• View Profile
      • Ron Porter | Cover Design
    I vote #2, but am giving #3 an honorable mention :P (but definitely go with #2)
    Ron Porter | Book Cover Designs       email: [email protected]
    $0 up front when you commission a design; you pay when the cover is finished!  |  Pre-Made Covers - $10

Online A Fading Street

• Professional Editing FREE 1st chapter sample edit
      • View Profile
      • A Fading Street Publishing Services
    8 for me. Colour zings and would look great full size.
    A Fading Street Publishing Services.
    Ghostwriting all genres from $250 per 10000 words
    Proofreading $0.0025 per word, Copy Editing $0.006 per word.
    SPECIAL PACKAGE RATE for early/block bookings
    My Kboards Thread for Testimonials https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,241950.0.html
    Yellow Pages Entry

Offline Melody Simmons

• View Profile
      • Bookcoverscre8tive
    Either #1 or #2...can't make up my mind.

Offline Patrick Tylee

• Vail, Arizona
      • View Profile
      • Patrick Tylee
    Two

Very professional look.
    Gears tell me that inside the cover, I'll read about how all aspects of marketing plan should mesh together and how.
    Simple. Clear message.
    I would pick that up off the shelf.

Offline renahobie

• I think about book covers. All the time.
      • View Profile
      • Cover Quill
    Another vote for #2.

Offline mbnels

• Arizona
    • Find inner peas
      • View Profile
      • Michael B Nelson Author
    I vote for number 1. I like the color combination and out of all of them, it looks the most professional.

Offline liamashe

• Central Florida
      • View Profile
      • My Home Page
    This is very helpful. A few follow-up questions:

1. When comparing #2 to the other 3 variations of this design, is it the color scheme that's the main differentiator for you?
    2. Does having the gears vs. the circles (#3 or #4) or the connected colors (#1) matter to you? Or just having the 3-stage concept is enough, regardless of what the icons look like?

Also, if you could share the latest round with any peers and colleagues who work in media, I would be very grateful.

1. The color is very strong on #2... the cover, the gears, etc. It all works well together and, for whatever reason, immediately drew my eye to it.

2. The gears or circles work best. The connected colors of #1 are nice, but it's a little Venn diagram-ish while the other two really suggest a step by step process. I'd go with gears as well as it subtly implies progress or work getting done.

I passed it around at a brand session we had after lunch and the consensus was #1 or #2 for general layout and colors with the circles/gears from #2, #3 and #4. The other four were thought to look too lifestyle-ish and less business-ish (we love "-ish"es). Overall, the group seemed to visually gravitate towards the dark blue color with the pop of white and complimentary colors.

And now I'm really looking forward to this book. You've got me hooked!

Liam Ashe | Home | Facebook | Instagram

KBoards.com

• Advertisement