Author Topic: So now we know what the 50% royalty option is....  (Read 1905 times)  

Offline AltMe

• WriterSanctum
  • Off the VS rocker.
    • View Profile
So now we know what the 50% royalty option is....
« on: February 27, 2018, 05:17:51 pm »
Just found this in a facebook group:

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/GSAHB36P88UNH845

Great on Kindle Beta - For Non-fiction books where the author wants to price between 4.99 and 19.99. It allows a 50% royalty option over 9.99, and doesn't have any download fee.

They seem to be responding to quality issues, as the royalty is subject to the images in the book being High res, and thus the book being large sized in mb.
Gone to WriterSanctum.

I do not consent to the new TOS, and do not give my consent by posting and maintaining my membership here.

*** Warning: If you are reading this post more than 6 months after it was posted, the information in it is out of date, and useless to you. The eBook market changes rapidly, and advice more than 6 months old is out of date. Use at your own risk! ***

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline ilamont

• Mass.
      • View Profile
    Re: So now we know what the 50% royalty option is....
    « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 05:25:42 pm »
    Eliminating the download fee is huge (and, as I've written before, bogus - most people now download over Wi-Fi, costing Amazon nothing). On some image-heavy books the fee turned the 70% royalty into mid-sixties.

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 06:08:17 pm »
    Merchandising opportunities would be nice, but having to enable Xray and make all those entries would be a pain.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Offline AltMe

• WriterSanctum
    • Off the VS rocker.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 07:25:32 pm »
    What is Xray?
    Gone to WriterSanctum.

I do not consent to the new TOS, and do not give my consent by posting and maintaining my membership here.

*** Warning: If you are reading this post more than 6 months after it was posted, the information in it is out of date, and useless to you. The eBook market changes rapidly, and advice more than 6 months old is out of date. Use at your own risk! ***

Offline TellNotShow

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 07:26:46 pm »
    Eliminating the download fee is huge (and, as I've written before, bogus - most people now download over Wi-Fi, costing Amazon nothing). On some image-heavy books the fee turned the 70% royalty into mid-sixties.

Yes, BOGUS is one good word for it. There are others..

As for the royalty rate, Amazon has never once, ever, paid anyone in KDP 70% -- and 67% is very common for single books. (I know some of mine are 65%.) But even nicely formatted box sets with an image of each book cover inside can end up around 60%. I once tried to publish a middle grade book with a single artwork for each chapter -- from memory it was going to come in at around 52% royalty on Amazon. I ended up limiting the number of pictures in the Amazon version of the ebook, so their customers ended up with less book for the same money other retailers charged for the whole thing. Surely some non-fiction books must be earning well below 50%. Once again, Amazon wants us to allow the best customer experience only if they get a higher share of the profits.

You know, I end up with about 83% from my higher priced box sets on Google Play. When I price them at $15.99, GP discount to $9.99, and pay me $8.31 for each sale. For the same book, priced $9.99 on Amazon, not discounted at all, Amazon pay me $6.24, or 62%. Just saying.

Descent Into Madness: 99%

How To Win KBoards Friends and Not Puss People Off: 0.1%

Writing Desk Space Won Back From Dangerous Cat: 0.2%
    All things in moderation

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 07:28:41 pm »
    According to Amazon "X-Ray is a Kindle eBook feature that allows readers to learn more about a topic, event, place, or any other term by pressing and holding on the word or phrase that interests them...X-Ray enables you, the author, to add your own descriptions or commentary that will show up when the reader engages the X-Ray feature. With X-Ray for Authors, you can add new X-Ray entries, edit existing ones, or enable X-Ray for a new book. For example, you could use X-Ray content to provide more information about an industry term, event or place in your book."

I think you can enable it for any of your books. But I want to say when I looked at doing it that it seemed like a lot of effort. They try to identify terms for you, from what I recall, and then you have to go through it and edit the entries they created as well as adding any of your own. Think of it kind of like advanced footnotes.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement