Author Topic: Is fiverr legit?  (Read 1514 times)  

Offline Edward Lake

• Auburn, NY
    • View Profile
Is fiverr legit?
« on: December 04, 2018, 05:13:07 pm »
I've been out of the publishing game for 5 years. I didn't use fiverr back in 2013, but I've seen many on Kboards mention fiverr as a great resource for book promotion. Forgive me if my question seems ridiculous. I just want to make sure I'm spending my limited promotional budget in the right places. If anyone would like to share their experiences with fiverr I'd appreciate it!

Edward Lake

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline kevin armstrong

• View Profile
    Re: Is fiverr legit?
    « Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 06:17:58 pm »
    I regularly use Bknights via Fiverr. No problems.

Offline Jerri Kay Lincoln

• Arizona mountains
    • The happier you are, the happier you are . . .
      • View Profile
      • JerriLincoln
    « Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 07:02:28 pm »
    BKnights is awesome.

JK Lincoln

Offline Edward Lake

• Auburn, NY
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 07:17:13 pm »
    BKnights is awesome.
    I tried finding BKnights on Fiverr. No luck. Anyone have a link?

Sent from my 5049W using Tapatalk

Edward Lake

Online K'Sennia Visitor

• Deep inside the AGU
    • I've got an idea!
      • View Profile
      • The Indie Authors Accountability Group: Open to All Genres!
    « Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 09:04:42 pm »
    I tried finding BKnights on Fiverr. No luck. Anyone have a link?

https://www.fiverr.com/bknights
    The Disabled Frog - Not Your Average Self Help Book
    https://www.amazon.com/Disabled-Frog-Stories-Productivity-Motivational-ebook/dp/B07LC4534L
    The Christmas Funeral - Not Your Mother's Christmas Story!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LCH28BN

Offline Edward Lake

• Auburn, NY
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 09:26:50 pm »

Edward Lake

Offline time was

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 02:36:03 pm »
    I recently used arrancat at fiverr to submit my free book to promotion sites. I was thrilled with the results and can't waiit to have a reason to use her again. I found her from an earlier post here on KBoards, so I don't think my results were out of the norm. https://www.fiverr.com/arrancat So yes, I think there are helpful services on fiverr. Are there also some duds there? Probably, but so far I'm well pleased with this gal and Bknights. Hope that helps.

Anna Drake | website | blog | Facebook

Online Cecelia

• Australia
      • View Profile
      • Interesting thoughts from an author: official Cecelia Hopkins-Drewer blog
    « Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 03:22:02 pm »
    Both BKknights and Arrancat focus on reduced and free books. I've been seriously considering resisting the pressure to sell my works for almost nothing. They are only priced at 99c because they will be eligible for certain sites that way, and I wonder whether it is really worth devaluing myself.

Offline Marseille, France or Bust

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 06:00:04 pm »
    I believe BKknights was much more successful for book sales a few years ago when everyone and their mother wasn't using. If you're lucky and your book is at the top of their email/website, you will get a hadfull of sales. But if you are buried, 20-30-40-50 deep, you'll be lucky to get 1 sale.  But something is better than nothing.
    « Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 06:01:49 pm by Marseille, France or Bust »

Offline ID Johnson

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 07:29:34 pm »
    Both BKknights and Arrancat focus on reduced and free books. I've been seriously considering resisting the pressure to sell my works for almost nothing. They are only priced at 99c because they will be eligible for certain sites that way, and I wonder whether it is really worth devaluing myself.
    Are you saying your books are always priced at 99 cents? If so, I just wanted to make sure you know you can change the price during the promo and then move it back to a higher price when the promo is over. If your books are full-length novels, 99 cents probably is devaluing them, unless you're talking about a first in series that is meant to get readers hooked, and then you charge more for the rest of the series or something like that. Sorry if I'm completely misunderstanding you....

Offline Edward Lake

• Auburn, NY
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 12:28:37 pm »
    Thank you for all the feedback everyone! As I said I've been out of the game for years.

Edward Lake

Online Cecelia

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 06:56:59 pm »
    Thank you ID Johnson.

I do understand how to change the prices and attempt to generate interest by varying which one I offer cheaply.

However, there are many sites that offer free or discounted rates for listing/publicizing books that are 99c or free. Some will accept $2.99 and below (usually at a slightly raised rate). The general pressure is on authors to offer their work for very little returns.

I honestly believe authors should never give their work away - but on doing the maths - I can afford five free days on a KU cycle, but I cannot spend $1000 on an advertising campaign. One costs me nothing and gives me nothing, the other costs way too much. 

(Click on Goodreads and see what minimum budget they suggest you set.)

Offline ID Johnson

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 08:41:47 pm »
    Thank you ID Johnson.

I do understand how to change the prices and attempt to generate interest by varying which one I offer cheaply.

However, there are many sites that offer free or discounted rates for listing/publicizing books that are 99c or free. Some will accept $2.99 and below (usually at a slightly raised rate). The general pressure is on authors to offer their work for very little returns.

I honestly believe authors should never give their work away - but on doing the maths - I can afford five free days on a KU cycle, but I cannot spend $1000 on an advertising campaign. One costs me nothing and gives me nothing, the other costs way too much. 

(Click on Goodreads and see what minimum budget they suggest you set.)
    I have two of my books permafree because they are first in series and they lead to sales of the rest of the series, but I definitely see your point. I think a lot of people who subscribe to promo newsletters are looking for a bargain, so I've never tried any over 99 cents on a promo.
    I have used BKnights, though, to get back to the original post, and I concur that it's a great service. Otherwise Fiverr can be hit or miss, and while reading reviews can be helpful, I think most people are overly generous on Fiverr with their star rating.

Online Cecelia

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 02:15:11 pm »
    Apologies for getting slightly off topic. I am curious about Fiverr too. However, I think it would be important to keep in mind that you only get what you pay for. If you pay $5 US for social media shares to the sellers' page or followers, that is what you get. The shares may/or may not lead to sales. However, the bottom tier Fiverr gigs appear affordable compared to some websites.

I have tried one that included a permanent listing on their blog. I think the permanent listings was worth it - however - your item on their blog might not take a lot of hits. It's just a numbers game.

Some gigs appear inactive, if there are no recent deliveries I would beware. Although if they fail to deliver you can cancel after the time period is up. The only catch is that if the service sounded great - it is disappointing. Also, you get credit which must be spent on Fiverr, so all you can do is choose another gig.

I would beware gigs that offer graphics though. It might just be me - but I figure you have no proof of their rights to the images in the first place. I am sure there is some poor genuine artist or hobby cartoonist I am wronging in saying that... and I also question whether $5 US is a fair rate that can really purchase original art. I guess, if it is a hobbiest who loves scribbling - but I figure if I commissioned art for my book, my conscience wouldn't let me use it for $5.
    « Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 02:18:09 pm by Cecelia »

Offline Bookread

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 05:43:02 pm »
    I've only used one fiverr gig for book promotion and while it was legit, it seemed to under-perform a bit. It's worth trying, but only to an extent where you wouldn't be disappointed if it didn't work at all.
    * * *  Join Our Writers Club!  * * *

https://www.patreon.com/AWritersPath

-Free ongoing book advertising
    -Free portional editing
    -Free portional book coaching
    -Free portional blurb coaching
    -Free portional query critiques
    -Free portional manuscript critique
    -Access a list of 160+ book review bloggers
    -Up to 50% discounts on over 60 writing-related services

Offline Edward Lake

• Auburn, NY
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 07:11:27 am »
    I've only used one fiverr gig for book promotion and while it was legit, it seemed to under-perform a bit. It's worth trying, but only to an extent where you wouldn't be disappointed if it didn't work at all.
    Did you discount your book during the promotion?

Edward Lake

Offline Eskimo

• Anchorage, Alaska
    • Eskimo
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 03:29:37 pm »
    I use BKnights for promoting free books, and they do a good job. Not as good on $0.99 promotions.

I've also used a few cover artists there with mixed results. If you know exactly what you want, they can normally deliver it, but some are better than others. The time to be wary is when you ask for a revision (I usually go through 4-5 minor revisions per cover) and the seller immediately wants to increase the price. Suffice to say, there can be difficult people everywhere, and fiverr is no exception.

Offline GFXJames

• I'm an illustrator, graphic designer, comic artist
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 04:33:21 pm »
    I would beware gigs that offer graphics though. It might just be me - but I figure you have no proof of their rights to the images in the first place. I am sure there is some poor genuine artist or hobby cartoonist I am wronging in saying that... and I also question whether $5 US is a fair rate that can really purchase original art. I guess, if it is a hobbiest who loves scribbling - but I figure if I commissioned art for my book, my conscience wouldn't let me use it for $5.

Fair fear to have. But...as someone who does actually that (commissions, not 5 $ stuff), just not on fiverr, I can tell you there are very easy ways to be sure the image is made by a particular artist. IE, people I have worked with often see my first sketch (or a bunch of them, often used to reach their preference(but that'd  go in the price)) , sometimes I send several  shots during the process of coloring/painting...It'd be extremely unlikely (and difficult) that in cases like that the artist would be using someone else's work.

Even more, I don't know how it is dealt on Fiverr, but... Well, in everything done like this , graphics for a client, you end doing modifications. There are times when you might need to establish a sort of modifications lists packs, or something. But in my experience, unless you are well known, you'd better do the "reasonable" number of modifications for free. If a client gets crazy with modifications, specially for changes of heart, then is when some sort of extra payment is negotiated. (This is eliminated with payment per hour. But I don't see a reliable way to establish that system without the client not thinking is being fooled, specially when does not know that some things take more time than others, etc.)  I'm digressing. What I mean is that both with the modifications the client asks for, which often are imposible without having the original layered file (rarely distributed on inet in any case)  that the artist makes on request, and, the showing of stages while in production... I'd be quite with the peace of mind  that it's the artist's work, not anyone else's. And, also,  is not uncommon to ask for a signed contract so that the client is 100% sure is covered. Most artists will have already several contract templates ready to go, so that you can modify, or propose modifications/additions, if you don't prefer to propose your contract (there are many free templates on the web). All is talked and negotiated. It can be done in a pair of mails, back and force, signed the PDFs, and save them somewhere safe + print them.

I was very angry initially with Fiverr... A supermarket of services at 5 $, devaluating art... Then I realized the trick :  It's + whatever $ if you want a higher res graphic, + $ for the PSD/TIFF with all layers, + x $ is want full exclusivity over the file (that the file wont be used anywhere else) + x $ for full usage rights or permanent license....  In a way, is a veeery old marketing trick, cousin of offering a price a 99c instead of saying 1 $.... It fools you at the start, but when you want the full thing, you start realizing is the same pricing or more, just got your attention with the carrot. Rarely is 5$ for sth actually useful, commercial grade. Of course, is not great for artists, as IMO, the tendency is to lower the value, if only for the demeaning concept of art for 5 $, as a slogan. It gets people into a certain mindset. Is not a great start/vibe to teach people the artists' hours have a value.. I'm guilty myself, I often use quotes too low... But in the end, the market is big and varied enough, in types of users (and pockets), different moments of a career in a field (less/better known and connected artist) and different fields so that everything becomes sort of balanced (the you get what you paid for not always works, though).

Today I think each one must figure out the own take at it, and other factors. I'd charge A LOT more for doing the HMTL and CSS of a site than making some graphics. Because I like a lot more doing the latter. Yet so, is true that it probably hasn't been good for artists, seeing it globally, the appearance of sites like Fiverr or 99designs. And I wouldn't vote for them to sink or be closed, as that would mean a ton of people there making some bucks to loose even that.... Also, the top ones on each of those places do a lot of money. But the majority....IMO are better out of those places. But that's a very personal and arguable opinion. And mostly in art categories. Fiverr is probably ideal for other kind of tasks.

With all that said, economy is quite complicated. If the demand was so BIG that all of us would have tons of gigs left and right (then all prices would increase, but I want to make a point here, lol :D ), that'd mean each freelancer could trust on having 5 gigs in a single morning. I can tell you I wouldn't mind making even lower pricing (never 5 $).  IMO is just not the case. There's a HUGE demand for example in programming (specially Java, C#). And almost the opposite in everything graphic, and even less, in sound/music services. Anyway, it all has its place, probably every "living being" is needed in the ecosystem, Fiverr included.
    « Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 04:39:39 pm by GFXJames »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement