Author Topic: *Roster Closed at this Time.* Light Hand Proofreading  (Read 2823 times)  

Offline Sheri LHP

• View Profile
    • Light Hand Proofreading
*Roster Closed at this Time.* Light Hand Proofreading
« on: August 27, 2019, 06:29:25 pm »
As of 08/30/20 we are not accepting new clients. We are leaving this post in place in case that changes. Sorry for the annoying bump.

Light Hand Proofreading

I found indie published novels on Amazon a couple of years ago.  I noticed that quite a few books had typos and simple errors, which were often mentioned in reader reviews.  I have always been that annoying person who notices typos everywhere (even in the Bible--sorry Grandma).  I approached my favorite indie author with notes I wrote down while reading her latest book, and offered to give her notes for the next one if she provided the final draft before publishing.  I did it simply to see her books get their best chance to reach as many people as possible.  I added two more of my favorite authors over the next year.  At some point my husband mentioned that maybe I should make a second job of it, and here I am.

People are referred to as having "light hands" in at least two contexts.  Equestrians who can direct a horse without hauling its head around by the reins ride with light hands.  And artists who apply makeup without obscuring the natural features of a model do so with a light hand.  Both of those seemed appropriate, so here we are.

Please visit my Facebook Page (below) for more information.

All genres and manuscript lengths welcome.

Sincerely,

Sheri

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/lighthandproofreading/

« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 11:38:11 am by Sheri LHP »
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." C.S. Lewis

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline kswalker

• San Jose, CA
      • View Profile
      • Worlds of Magic and Adventure
    Re: Light Hand Proofreading Introductory Offer
    « Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 11:33:38 am »
    Previously edited by the author or by another professional?

Kristen S. Walker | Writing blog | Newsletter

Offline NikitaSlater

• View Profile
      • Nikita Slater
    « Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 01:50:28 pm »
    I have used Sheri's services several times and can definitively and enthusiastically endorse her. Sheri looks over my document after my editor finishes with it and catches any last typos that were missed. I didn't realize how badly I needed an extra proofread until I started getting Sheri to look my stuff over. Now I send her old books too so they're even more polished. I'm the bestselling author of over 25 books, most full length and a few novellas. I've definitely come to realize the benefit of an extra set of eyes.

If you want your books to have that extra polish, to confidently know that you are publishing the best possible product, then I highly recommend Sheri.

Nikita Slater

Offline Bijou Hunter

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 05:20:23 pm »
    Ive used Sheri multiple times to find mistakes missed by everyone else. She has a good eye and provides a quick turnaround. Along with my newer projects, Ive requested she check over my older books.

I highly recommend Sheri at Light Hand Proofreading to provide your projects a final look before publishing.
    Romance Author

Offline Sheri LHP

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 12:26:09 am »
    Previously edited by the author or by another professional?

By the author is fine.  If I get a couple of chapters in and I am finding multiple errors per paragraph I will contact the author about converting to an edit.

Thank you for your question!
    You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." C.S. Lewis

Offline Sheri LHP

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 09:22:46 pm »
    Amazon is continuing to label previously published work as having Quality Issues if even one reader submits a complaint.  If you are an author who has had a slew of books labeled with "Quality Issues" all at once (I have heard this from more than one author), I will extend the introductory proofreading offer to all previously published books we schedule initially.

Sheri

Offline kswalker

• San Jose, CA
      • View Profile
      • Worlds of Magic and Adventure
    « Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 12:07:33 pm »
    I tried out her very reasonable introductory rate on a novella that I'd edited myself. Sheri found errors in my writing that I'd missed (and weren't picked up by automated editing programs like ProWritingAid). She also made helpful suggestions to improve the readability and flow of my story. On top of this, her turnaround was very quick--only seven days! I will definitely use her service again.

Kristen S. Walker | Writing blog | Newsletter

Offline Sheri LHP

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 09:21:03 pm »
    My day job is an academic position, which leaves my proofing schedule wide open over Christmas.  That seems like a long way away right now, but is it??

Make plans today to get on my calendar over the holiday!!

Offline Sheri LHP

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 10:20:49 am »
    NOVELLAS and BLURBS 

The subject of novellas came up in another post, with mention that they are often short-term passion or anthology projects.  I know a lot of proofreaders are booked well in advance, and can't fit last-minute or unexpected projects in their schedules. 

I am happy to do the odd job here and there when your regular proofreader can't fit you in: unexpected projects, last-minute proofreads, blurbs, and sneak-peek chapters.  No job is too small.

Speaking of blurbs, the blurb is your second chance to make a first impression.  For a few bucks (with the expedited service) you can take full advantage of that impression.  Blurbs are often written at the last hour; I can turn a few hundred words around overnight or quicker.

See my Facebook page for prices.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 07:15:13 pm by Sheri LHP »

Offline Sheri LHP

• View Profile
    Light Hand Proofreading Introductory Offer - Christmas Break!
    « Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 07:16:06 pm »
    Scheduling now for Christmas Break! 

LHP will be looking for any excuse to avoid the in-laws.   ;D  My day job closes completely over Christmas Break, so I will be game for round-the-clock reading.  Keep Light Hand Proofreading in mind for 3-day turn around service over the holidays! 

See my Facebook page for prices:

Your publishing emergency is my publishing emergency.

Offline Sheri LHP

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 03:56:54 pm »
    Light Hand Proofreading will be available through the holidays for proofreading emergencies (it's funny until you have one) or unplanned bursts of productivity.  And scheduled proofreads, of course.

The blurb is the second chance to make a first impression, yet often seems to be left until the last minute and uploaded without being checked by a second person.  Quick turn-around on blurbs (counted in hours, not days) is part of the proofreading package! 

Wishing you a Merry and Productive Christmas and Holiday Season!

Sheri

Offline Sheri LHP

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 03:46:01 pm »
    LHP's prices will increase January 1st, 2020.

Authors who book before the 1st will be grandfathered in at current prices. (The work can be done after New Year's Day.)

Current price:

Regular 7-day Turnaround Proofreading: $.0015/word, or $150 for a 100k book

After January 1, 2020

Regular proofreading: $.002

ALL GENRES WELCOME
    « Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 07:16:11 pm by Sheri LHP »

Offline Becca Mills

• Global Moderator
    • California
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 04:43:14 pm »
    Greetings, Sheri! You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Cafe.

Now that you have an official thread, you'll want to add your listing to our Yellow Pages, found here: https://www.kboards.com/yp/. The listing is free to KB members and is completely self-service; you can add and edit your listing from the page. More information on our Yellow Pages listing can be found here.

In your thread here, we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar: you may have this one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time. New threads about the service will be removed. Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again when you want to post.

You may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days. If someone responds (as I'm doing with this post), you may reply to them, but otherwise you must wait seven days. Any pattern of posting designed to artificially bump your thread to the top of the forum is prohibited. Please note that very short or (one- or two-word) posts with no meaningful information are discouraged and may be deleted at the moderators' discretion.

Lastly, your posts and images will need to meet our "forum decorum" guidelines, which is the case for every member.

You may find that members ask searching questions -- about how your service works, for example, or what they will get for their money, or whether your service adheres to Amazon's terms of service. Such "vetting" is a common here and can be rigorous.

Note that members are allowed to provide civil and honest feedback about your service in this thread. This feedback may include criticisms as well as kudos. You may respond to criticism in a civil manner, but name-calling, badgering, accusations of lying, and other breaches of forum decorum can lead to loss of vendor posting privileges.

Any and all disputes between you and your clients should be handled off-site.

Thanks,
    Becca
    KBoards Moderator

(Note that this welcome does not constitute an endorsement or vetting of a service by KBoards. Members should do due diligence when considering using a service.)

Welcome! :)
    Read about using the Writers' Cafe here. Our larger "forum decorum" is here. The site's overall terms of use are here. Please be aware of this material.
    Troubleshooting: If you're having difficulties with advertising on KBoards, the contact email is [email protected] You can also use our PM system to contact the site's owners via the vsAdmin account. The Link-Maker and Author Signature Tool long longer function. There's a manual version of the former here and a workaround for the latter here.

Offline Sheri LHP

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 11:48:35 am »
    Happy New Year!!

Light Hand Proofreading had an amazing 2019, thanks in no small part to kboards authors! I have enjoyed having writers from different genres approach me; it's a nice break from romance. My family appreciates when the passages I read out loud to sort out comma placement do not include a lot of panting and moaning (all household members are over 18).  ;D

As a proofreader I also include notes about factual discrepancies that come up in books. Like that a RAV4 is a Toyota and not a Honda. Proofreaders are people first, and bring all of our experiences and knowledge to the table. For instance, I finished up the coursework toward my MA in Criminal Justice and will graduate in May. I am currently enjoying proofing a detective mystery book and would love to see more of these.

See my Facebook page for the new pricing schedule. Proofreading includes a quick turnaround on your blurb. I hate to see typos in a blurb!

Here is to a safe and productive 2020 for all of you writers, editors, proofreaders, cover designers, publishing assistants, bloggers, narrators, and READERS!

Offline Sheri LHP

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 01:16:30 pm »
    I hope you all are having a great 2020 so far!

Light Hand Proofreading still has room for a couple of books in February.

I have proofed a few books lately for authors who are getting ready to have them recorded for Audible. I love to "backproof" (proofing books that have already been published). I go in worried that I won't find any (or many) errors, and the author will feel like it was a waste of money. But every single time I find at least a handful of errors - usually quite a few.

I have also backproofed older books, from when the author started out and couldn't afford an editor. Having an older book edited and updated gives you an excuse to promote it again (maybe with a bonus chapter). Be sure to upload it to the original book's profile so you don't lose all your reviews!
    « Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 07:16:43 pm by Sheri LHP »

Offline Sheri LHP

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: February 05, 2020, 11:41:50 am »
    Snow Day! The University (my day job) has suspended operations today, so I am home proofreading and drinking coffee in my jammies. Self-employment rocks! Today's book is a Christian speculative fiction that I am really enjoying. I love proofreading because I get to read and enjoy books I wouldn't normally seek out. In the past few months I have proofed from clean ranch romance to graphic horror to YA dystopian steampunk to murder mystery. So far, I haven't run into a genre I won't read, so throw them at me! :)

Sheri
    « Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 11:46:55 am by Sheri LHP »

Offline D.E.M.

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 07:58:03 am »
    Snow Day! The University (my day job) has suspended operations today, so I am home proofreading and drinking coffee in my jammies. Self-employment rocks! Today's book is a Christian speculative fiction that I am really enjoying. I love proofreading because I get to read and enjoy books I wouldn't normally seek out. In the past few months I have proofed from clean ranch romance to graphic horror to YA dystopian steampunk to murder mystery. So far, I haven't run into a genre I won't read, so throw them at me! :)

Sheri

I would like to vouch for Sheri's services personally.

She took on a very long (568 pages; 5.25 x 8 paperback, close to 160K words) and turned it over to me in a few days (sorry, memory failing so I don't remember how many). And Christmas fell in that time period.

Her work was thorough and accurate. She will discuss with you beforehand how light the proofreading is.

Sheri was pleasure to work with! I recommend her highly!

Offline Sheri LHP

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: February 14, 2020, 09:13:06 am »
    Happy Valentine's Day!!

I discovered a new skill this month! I helped two different authors remove material from novelettes they had written for anthologies, but had gone over the allotted word counts. One was supposed to be 14k words and she had 17k. We brought that one down to 14.5 without changing the substance or voice, and without having to remove entire paragraphs of content. The other was 11.5k and we brought it down to 10k. They are both economical writers, so the struggle was real. I thoroughly enjoyed it and they were thrilled to feel like their works hadn't lost their impact.

So, if you find yourself a couple (or ten) thousand words over on a project, drop me a note and we will see if we can pare your work down to the length you need. (I would use wordsmith here if I didn't hate that term.)

Sheri

Offline Sheri LHP

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: February 22, 2020, 01:41:36 pm »
    Time is flying and I'm already thinking about summer scheduling! My main gig is academic, so I am off for June and July. It's the perfect time to tackle big projects for authors.

Send me your earlier books: the ones you released before you could afford to hire a proofreader, but you have received feedback that they could use some attention. Many readers binge, so when an author is recommended they want to go back to the earliest books to start from the beginning. If those earliest books are rough, they may move on to try someone else.

Quality is always a sound investment.

Offline Sheri LHP

• View Profile
    Re: Light Hand Proofreading
    « Reply #19 on: April 01, 2020, 09:06:29 pm »
    Thank you to all of the authors who create wonderful, terrifying, sexy, suspenseful, funny worlds for us to escape to while we #stayhome.

Stay safe, folks.
    « Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 02:14:25 am by Sheri LHP »

Offline Calmagyr

• Blackpool, England
      • View Profile
      • Facebook
    « Reply #20 on: April 07, 2020, 11:53:43 am »
    I was a first time user of Sheri's services a few months ago and whole-heartedly recommend her.

She was very easy to work with, ensuring I was fully involved in the decision as to exactly what level of proof reading she would provide and explaining what she would be looking for as she worked.

The manuscript was returned within a few days as promised, and I was very happy with the result.

Much appreciated.

Michael Greenfield

Offline JasminQuinn

• View Profile
      • Jasmin Writes Romance
    « Reply #21 on: April 07, 2020, 12:50:00 pm »
    Sheri has been proofing my books since we discovered each other last year. Not only is she proofing my new books, but is also making her way through my backlist. It doesn't matter that I've had my books edited or that I go over the 'final' drafts with a fine tooth comb, Sheri's eagle eyes catch a ton of little things such as typos, grammatical errors, tense issues and flat out wrong words. Not only is she clear on the problem, she clearly explains why it's a problem. As a result, my writing has improved (or at least my punctuation).

Sheri's prices are fair, her turnaround time is spot-on, and her approach is highly professional. She's easy to work with, thoughtful and reliable. What more could anyone want in a proofreader?
    Jasmin Quinn
    Contemporary Romance Author

Offline cheeldokhtaran98

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: April 08, 2020, 06:38:55 pm »
    I hired Sheri for a copyedit, but she did much, much beyond the job she would have done. Her editing was fantastic. In addition to correcting my grammar issues, poor diction, and weak sentencing, she also did the job of a proofreader. Her thoughts added so much to my book, Rise of the Survivors. Professionalism isn't the only quality she owns, but also amiability, accessibility, and affordability. Thank you for all you did for me, Sheri. I strongly recommend her.
    « Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 06:41:30 pm by cheeldokhtaran98 »

Offline Sheri LHP

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: April 08, 2020, 07:59:53 pm »
    My university day job let out early this spring, so I'm ready to add new authors looking for the following:

A one-time project,
       ongoing partnership,
       last-minute service,
       or post-proof of a published book, series, or collection.

All genres are welcome.

My client list includes writers of dark mafia romance, MC romance, YA dystopian, mystery, fantasy, sci-fi, Christian apocalyptic fiction, historical fiction, and horror. Graphic horror.

Check out my Facebook page for prices and descriptions of services. I am happy to do a sample chapter.
    « Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 02:12:56 am by Sheri LHP »

Offline Sheri LHP

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: April 24, 2020, 04:33:49 pm »
    I am usually up until midnight Pacific time, and would be very, very happy to proof your blurb for you before you hit submit on your new release. There is no minimum size for jobs, and after the last few blurbs I have read, I'm tempted to do it as a free service. If I proof your blurb for you, that will not count as your Introductory Offer project.

Please, if not me, have someone proof your blurb. That is all.

Email to [email protected] with the subject line: BLURB SOS.
    « Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 02:12:39 am by Sheri LHP »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement