Author Topic: Looking for Western Authors Similar to Donald L. Robertson  (Read 656 times)  

Offline BSquared18

• View Profile
Hi,

I enjoy novels about the Old West. One of my favorite authors is Donald L. Robertson (Logan series, Justice series, etc.). But I'm about to run out of works of his to read (boohoo). Can anyone recommend an author or authors whose style and skill are on a par with that of Mr. Robertson? I especially enjoy the in-depth development of the main characters, the knowledgeable descriptions of the surroundings, etc., the excellent writing style, the imaginative plots, the sparsity of typos (there are a few, but too few to mention), among other things. There is violence, as one expects in books of this genre, but not vividly-detailed sex or a lot of vulgar language.

I've read a lot of Kindle Westerns, but none come to mind that rise to the level of Mr. Robertson.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Bill
Cats 'n' Us: Collection of cartoons and verses about cats; Dakota Quest: Action-adventure novel about the Deadwood gold rush.

We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are. Anas Nin

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Maura

• View Profile
    Re: Looking for Western Authors Similar to Donald L. Robertson
    « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 03:59:11 pm »
    Hmm. I'll have to try one of his. I had it in my head he was the one who wrote Westerns where every female jumps the protag and then there's a bad sex scene.

I like classic Westerns and am always hunting for something well written, along the lines of Elmer Kelton. Rare as hens' teeth.

Offline BSquared18

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 04:24:55 pm »
    Hadn't heard of Elmer Kelton. I looked him up. He has had mostly very good reviews, but his works are a bit pricey. I guess I've become a bit spoiled by Kindle books that are either free or cost a couple bucks. I agree that authors should receive a reasonable compensation for all their work, so I have mixed feelings on this subject. Maybe I'll try one of his (less expensive?) novels, and see if I think they are worth the extra dollars.

Concerning Robertson, many of his stories have a romantic element, but the descriptions are very tame by today's standards. More like you might expect in a typical novel of the 19th Century. Often the male hero can't imagine that any woman would give him a second look.

If one searches on the word "sex" in Kindle reviews of Robertson's work, they will find many quotes like. "As usual, with Donald L Robertson; a classic, character driven western with no explicit sex scenes or foul language."

--Bill
    Cats 'n' Us: Collection of cartoons and verses about cats; Dakota Quest: Action-adventure novel about the Deadwood gold rush.

Offline WC John

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 04:18:39 am »
    You may have already sorted it, but St Agnes' Stand by Thomas Eidson may suit your needs.

Offline BSquared18

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 07:04:58 am »
    Re: "St Agnes' Stand by Thomas Eidson"

Unfortunately, when I went to this author/title at the Kindle Bookstore, I found the message, "This title is not currently available for purchase." I don't see any other Westerns listed for this author.

Thanks anyhoo,
    Bill

Offline Maura

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 01:24:35 pm »
    If BSquared is still looking - I just realized there are a bunch of Luke Short novels available for Kindle, a few even through KU, and the ones that must be purchased aren't very expensive. They aren't series, but they're IMO better written than a lot of today's Westerns. I also read a couple by Ernest Haycox, but fewer of his are available, and I'd have to say I liked Short better.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement