Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 180 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the review that I received for Apolo Drakuvich.

"This book would have received zero stars had the Amazon review system permitted it. This is simply the worst book I've ever tried to read. I am one of those people who dislikes walking out on a book. It took me about three chapters of torture to stop reading it. It is full of violence for its own sake. It is full of anger for its own sake. Neither the violence nor the anger serve to propel the plot forward as there is no obvious plot. They instead serve to describe a two dimensional character with one dimension being violence and the other anger. If it is not clear yet, I do not recommend this book. I do recommend that you don't even bother to open it." - Eva in Alaska

Wow!  :eek:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Um, nice. Given the nature of the book, what did they expect? It has to do with a violent offender looking back over his life with regret. Merely reading the blurb gives me ample reason to think this is a violent novel - maybe they were misled somewhere else along the way? *shrug*

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That would be Ulysses by James Joyce, with a tie for Absalom, Absalom by Faulkner on drugs.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well, that reminds me of a writer friend who called the other night needing encouragement.

The person she had dedicated her book to, a friend, called her and spent a good hour telling her how she would've done it to make it better. This is a book that's getting 5 star reviews and that I loved.

Nice. I told her to rededicate it to someone else and forget it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
There are also some people out there who don't like chocolate.  Enough said.  ;)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Rusty Bigfoot said:
Well, that reminds me of a writer friend who called the other night needing encouragement.

The person she had dedicated her book to, a friend, called her and spent a good hour telling her how she would've done it to make it better. This is a book that's getting 5 star reviews and that I loved.

Wow. Definitely rededicate it!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
That review is so far out in left field, it's either someone who's out to get you with a one-star slam, or else there's something basically wrong with the person who wrote it---mentally and emotionally not ready for prime time.  Sadly, there seem to be a lot of folks like that: completely at sea.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Several months ago, I received a 1-star review from someone who lives in my hometown.  So, I put a trade paperback version of it in the mail for her, signed it "To be used as kindling.  All best--Christopher."  

I don't take them seriously.  I listen to the 3-4 star reviews.  Those actually can be helpful.

·
Registered
400 Posts
To add to my post above about telling my friend how to do it better, it wasn't constructive criticism, it was stuff like change it all to first person and basically redo the plot and change the main characters, etc.

It's so easy to let this kind of stuff get you down. Constructive criticism is something else - if someone asks for my opinion, I'm usually loathe to give it unless I can find a way to praise them and then truly help them, and I usually don't feel expert enough to help anyone. Why do so many non-writers think they're so darn good at telling writers how to write? Why don't they go write a book themselves? I think it's a form of jealousy sometimes to criticize.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
BrianKittrell said:
Hmmm... I think, just maybe, the book wasn't for her.
Same with the 3 star review. What the hell's up with that? The reviewer likes old fashioned romances so the thing gets a 3. I'm looking around for some king of misleading line that would lead anyone to believe it's romance. There are times when I start reading something and see a 1 star review on it and think "Yeah, I can see how someone would call this the worst book they ever read" but not in this case. That said, you might want to mention violence in the blurb, it would probably draw a lot of people in.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Rusty Bigfoot said:

I sure hope your friend does rededicate her book--and I hope the friend sees that she's no longer mentioned. lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys!  I think it's fishy that it's Eva's first and only review.  But who knows, maybe my book pissed her off so much she had to make this review.  It was a bit of a shock to see a review that was a bit harsh.  I probably offended her with the bad language.  Maybe she didn't read the blurb???  Maybe she doesn't know how to read?  ??? 

I think I'll be okay, lol.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
MaryMcDonald said:
I sure hope your friend does rededicate her book--and I hope the friend sees that she's no longer mentioned. lol
I'm going to offer a contrary view. I have a friend who read The Devil's Deep in February and offered some "helpful" suggestions. She's not a writer and the comments weren't particularly illuminating and it irritated me a little. Last week, she mentioned in passing that she'd just bought Trial by Fury. I said she should probably read The Righteous first, and it turned out that not only had she already read The Righteous, but also Mighty and Strong, The Wicked, and State of Siege and had purchased The Red Rooster and had been reading it while getting ready for her colonoscopy. I was stunned. Based on her comments, I thought she hadn't overly cared for Devil's Deep, but more than that, I don't think I know a single other person (in real life, that is) who has read as much of my fiction, except for my long-suffering beta reader.

So why had she offered suggestions about how to fix The Devil's Deep when she'd obviously like it enough to search out all my other stuff? I'm not sure, but I realized she offers helpful suggestions about how to improve other aspects of my life as well. We do some theater together and she's always suggesting that I change this or that. It doesn't particularly bother me, because I'm not as emotionally invested as I am with my writing and I'm merely a dedicated amateur when it comes to the theater, with no aspirations to be anything more.

It could be that the friend in question has this same tendency. Maybe she thought since the book was dedicated to her she should try to earn her keep by offering ways to improve the book. This misses the point entirely, of course, but it might indicate a benign explanation for the behavior.

·
Registered
513 Posts
*internet hugs!*

Looking at your other reviews, it looks like your audience LOVES your book, which is all that matters!  :D

I feel your pain, though. I recently got my first couple of one stars for my alter ego's books, and it stings, no matter what.

Your writer pals believe in you!  ;) 

·
Registered
982 Posts
J. Carson Black said:
That review is so far out in left field, it's either someone who's out to get you with a one-star slam, or else there's something basically wrong with the person who wrote it---mentally and emotionally not ready for prime time. Sadly, there seem to be a lot of folks like that: completely at sea.
How do you know? Did you read it? How do you know she's either vengeful, or mentally and emotionally "wrong?" Have you met her? Maybe the reviewer is spot on?

Nice.

Thundergeoff said:
Thanks guys! I think it's fishy that it's Eva's first and only review. But who knows, maybe my book p*ssed her off so much she had to make this review. It was a bit of a shock to see a review that was a bit harsh. I probably offended her with the bad language. Maybe she didn't read the blurb??? Maybe she doesn't know how to read? ???

I think I'll be okay, lol.
Fishy? Every reviewer has a first review, plus you have no idea if she is in the habit of reviewing elsewhere.

And "maybe she doesn't know how to read"? Really? If she hated your book, it's because she possibly can't read? It couldn't possibly be because you didn't deliver the story?

Wow.

Yet another thread about how stupid and incompetent readers are. How dare they buy, read and review your masterpieces?

I'm going to laugh next time I see another thread titled "Why can't I get any reviews?"

·
Registered
400 Posts
Michael, she did this twice now. The first book my friend ever wrote was a long historical novel and it was just tremendous, in fact, it's being considered by a major studio right now. This same "friend" criticized it so much my friend almost didn't publish it.

I think she decided to go ahead and try again, as she is very fond of this friend. The criticism wasn't at all constructive, from what she told me. At one point in the conversation, her friend even stopped and apologized, then continued on. She knew quite well what she was doing. At this point, to say the friendship is strained is an understatement, and she is going to un-dedicate it. She even went to the trouble of buying a copy and mailing it to the friend who is not computer savvy (an older lady). The irony of it all is that her friend encouraged her while she was writing it, that's why she dedicated it to her.

Oh well, twice burned and all that.

And my apologies to the OP, not trying to hijack here. Just making a point that people can be really off on their reviews for reasons way beyond the book itself.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts