Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Permafree works very well on Play. In fact, since the implementation of KU, my Play permafrees have more downloads and have a higher sell-thru rate than on Amazon. I also outsell Amazon on Play. 

Besides that, I'm not sure what I do, as I don't pay much attention. I list keywords in my descriptions. I'm not sure if that does anything. From all I can tell, my permafrees do all my selling.

Amazon is going to bleed marketshare to Apple and Google over the next few years, so your sales will increase due to that.

Other than that, I'm not sure what you can do. There isn't a promotional ecosystem you can manipulate like there is on Amazon. To be honest, I'm not sure how people even find books on Play. Probably through search and the basic lists they have? I'm not sure. My best advice is to use permafrees and write in a series. But that would be my advice for Amazon too.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
I'd agree here. Perma-free and also keyword stuffing.

The other thing is that I think the teen market is quite big on GP.

Also, I get a huge amount of sales from India, which doesn't happen through Amazon. I don't know if that is helpful or relevant in any way...

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Evenstar said:

Also, I get a huge amount of sales from India, which doesn't happen through Amazon. I don't know if that is helpful or relevant in any way...
Yeah, that's another great point. I get a lot of sales from some crazy countries. On Amazon, I've never sold a single book in half the markets. Android is very dominant in other countries, and it really shows through sales on Play.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Colleen Cross said:
Looking for advice and tips on how to succeed on Google Play.

Many of us have recently added our books to Google Play (thanks to TK's great post)and have the Google analytics at our fingertips.
Have you had success on Google Play and if so, do you have advice on specific Google Play strategies to convert clicks into sales?

Any info greatly appreciated!
Could somebody direct me to the post that TK made? I was looking at Google Play the other day and gave up. LOL

·
Registered
221 Posts
bobbic said:
Could somebody direct me to the post that TK made? I was looking at Google Play the other day and gave up. LOL
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,167655.0.html

I literally had it open in the next tab! ;D

FWIW, I decided to go wide with my series that came out of Select about halfway through December, and Google play has been the best (non-Amazon) performer so far!

Good luck!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Evenstar said:

My books are mystery/thrillers, so maybe they're not appealing to the Google Play demographic. Might be part of the reason for me, since my genre tends to be 35 +

Do you think your readers are using an ereader or using GP on their phones/tablets?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I gave up on Google Play. The amount of sales there really don't make it worthwhile for the difficulties of using their primitive and very clunky interface. I don't do permafree, so I don't need a place to give my books away.

I have heard that for some people it has worked okay, but I wasn't one of them. Maybe if they ever fix it to work like a real book store I'll try it again, but it's just not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
vanstry said:
I gave up on Google Play. The amount of sales there really don't make it worthwhile for the difficulties of using their primitive and very clunky interface. I don't do permafree, so I don't need a place to give my books away.

I have heard that for some people it has worked okay, but I wasn't one of them. Maybe if they ever fix it to work like a real book store I'll try it again, but it's just not worth the hassle.
Depends really what your time is worth. Is 1 day of screaming frustration as you learn how to make it work worth $200-$400 a month? I would say yes, because that's roughly what I get out of it. What I am really looking for though is a place to run to when/if Amazon becomes less reliable. Google Play is small potatoes for me at the moment, but it grows every month so far. It's 6% of my income, up 6% from 0% this time last year.

Regarding permafree. It's still the best promo in town for me. I've tried switching them off and back to paid, as soon as I do, I also switch off sales down to a trickle. So at Google, first in series free, a really descriptive blurb containing words that you would use to search for books like yours, a price 24% above Amazon (very roughly) is a good start point.

BTW, that works on Barnes, and Kobo too, not so much at Apple for some reason. I can't crack apple. I don't know why not. Sales there are abysmal.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Jane Killick said:
I tried putting my books up on Google Play and couldn't get them to go live. I don't know what went wrong. I though I had followed that thread on here, but my books got stuck. Any idea how to solve this?
Usually it has to do with your payment profile. Nothing will go live until they have a way to pay you. Also, it's not enough to enter your info and click save. You have to select the profile (because you can have multiple identities) and activate it for WORLD (meaning ALL royalties received will be allocated to THAT profile) I think I remember that they send a few cents to my bank as a test as well.

Also, you won't get paid if your tax info isn't done, AND worse, they don't email you and tell you why they aren't sending the money. I didn't realize I was missing 3 months money from them last year, and it was because I hadn't updated my tax info when I went full time and incorporated. They don't send email to tell you.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Jane Killick said:
Thanks, Mark. I sall give it another go.

As far as I remember, I thought I had done all those things, but maybe with fresh eyes it will turn out I didn't.
Never change tabs or pages at Google without clicking save first. Google doesn't seem to remember changes without doing that. I am in the habit of clicking save every page change now haha.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
KatrinaAbbott said:
I'm not doing well on GP but would love to see a bump there. Evenstar - can you please elaborate on keyword stuffing? My books are YA rom-coms, so if you have specifics you can share, I'd really appreciate it!
TIA!
Hi Katrina
Yes, If you have a quick look at the blurb for one of my books there https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Stella_Wilkinson_The_Flirting_Games?id=KRbGAgAAQBAJ&hl=en_GB you will see that at the end of the book description I actually openly put a section titled Keywords: then I have made a list of them. I figure this is not off putting to the reader because it is at the end (rather than scattered through the blurb making it over heavy) and so they probably don't read them. But they will bring up the book and also it is not too odd looking to younger readers because they are used to similar from places like Wattpad that also list relevant keywords.

I would like to add that GP is at least a third of my income, but I'm more than happy not to have the competition on that market if others find it too hard to use ;) But I do Apple through Smashwords (I don't have a mac to load direct) and I just can not seem to make the slightest impact over there, which is really depressing to me as I would dearly love to break out on ibooks. So any tips for boosting Apple would be great.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Colleen Cross said:
My books are mystery/thrillers, so maybe they're not appealing to the Google Play demographic. Might be part of the reason for me, since my genre tends to be 35 +

Do you think your readers are using an ereader or using GP on their phones/tablets?
This could be it. I'll be stepping into a similar genre later this year and I'm more than a little concerned about this, seeing as I'm undecided about even listing my new novels on Amazon. I also won't be using permafree. It could be that the only things indies sell well on here are romance and erotica books.

Have you tried putting the genre in brackets beside the title? That usually gets you onto the first page for the search term and, if you're lucky, the Top 100 genre list. If you can get on there, the book will sell itself and all your other books.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Colleen Cross said:
I write mystery too and my readership mostly consists of women of a certain age, who I can only assume avoid Google in droves, since I can't crack it. I've tried everything, including the keyword stuffing, but have sold a grand total of six or seven books in about a year and a half on Google.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Colleen Cross said:

Most people are using Play on their phones and tablets. It's one of the reasons I think iTunes and Play are going to grow so much over the next few years. Dedicated ereaders are already niche devices, the same way dedicated mp3 players became niche devices before basically disappearing all together.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
vanstry said:

Google Play is just different. It's actually really easy. My new release yesterday was live within five minutes of starting to fill out the upload forms (apparently Play no longer has a review... or maybe it's a special thing, I don't know, but it went live immediately for me). There are some weird "first-timer" things, like having a special area to make your wallet so you can get paid. But you only have to deal with that stuff the first time. After that, it's all so, so simple.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts