1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
I had a problem with number 2.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I believe #7 is only true for paper.  If Amazon discounts your ebook, your royalty (70% or 35% based on the price you set) is based on the sale price.  We see this in the detailed Monthly Report.

·
Registered
346 Posts
There's so much wrong in this article.  #1 for starters.  Ask anyone who has run a pay per click ad.
Some of this is OLD wisdom that may have been true at one point but isn't any longer.  For example the 50 review thing.
We've known Nielsen and Bookscan were wrong for a long time.  This isn't really news.  As for Amazon being more author friendly and pub friendly makes me believe that this writer has never tried to get support from KDP via email. 
#5 makes me laugh.  All I have to do is get my readers to buy someone else's book and I can control my Also Boughts.  Piece of cake. 
And I don't need Zon to tell me that most ebooks should be 9.99 or under.  The cost of a paperback does that. 

·
Registered
262 Posts
Olivia Jaymes said:
And I don't need Zon to tell me that most ebooks should be 9.99 or under. The cost of a paperback does that.
Seriously. I won't buy an ebook for more than five or six bucks, unless it's not available in print. There's just no need to. Production costs are minimal, so there's almost no overhead. If paperbacks sold at ebook prices, the printing industry would go under, because they wouldn't be able to cover their own costs.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
And if you're a print-on-demand author, your book can never be low on stock; Amazon has endless access to endless supply.
Not always true for the Amazon stores outside of the US. Several of my books have been out of stock on Amazon Japan (which pissed off some of my readers over here) and here was CreateSpace's response: "Unlike Amazon.com and Amazon.uk, the availability of your books on Amazon.jp is at the discretion of the retailers who purchase your books through the Expanded Distribution Channel. Unlike with Amazon.com and Amazon.uk, we cannot guarantee your books will appear on Amazon.jp. We do not have control over how your book is appearing on the retailer sites that purchase your books. If your book appears on this site, it is subject to change at any time without notifying you."

We do not believe an e-book is worth more than $9.99 because Amazon has trained us to believe it's not worth more than $9.99. Nothing to be done about it; I just feel compelled to bring this up again.
Oh total BS. It's simple common sense--print carries a far higher production cost, hence the higher cover price.

If you see that your book is selling for lower than its list price, that doesn't mean you're going to get paid less.
Not if you're self-published. Your royalty is based on what Amazon sells your book at.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MeganBryce said:
I was so horrified yesterday when I saw that any publisher could believe #'s 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 that I went and looked at her "publishing house". It costs $25 woops, it's $50 to submit a manuscript (um, warning!) and then if they accept you, the author has to pay $4900. Ye gods. Somedays I think I should just become a "publisher".
I had my suspicions that this was not only misinformation but DISinformation, lies that are spread as truth in order to mislead or damage others. Huffpost, being a New York artifact, usually swallows the tradpub point of view, hook line and sinker.

And, as vanity PubScammers have been acquired by the Big 5 lately, those very tradpubs have a vested interest in muddying the waters in hopes of driving business in their own direction. If they can falsely make the indie world seem too confusing and too difficult to navigate, then more potential indies will tend to despair and turn to the illusion of comfort they are selling.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Perry Constantine said:
Not always true for the Amazon stores outside of the US. Several of my books have been out of stock on Amazon Japan (which p*ssed off some of my readers over here) and here was CreateSpace's response: "Unlike Amazon.com and Amazon.uk, the availability of your books on Amazon.jp is at the discretion of the retailers who purchase your books through the Expanded Distribution Channel. Unlike with Amazon.com and Amazon.uk, we cannot guarantee your books will appear on Amazon.jp. We do not have control over how your book is appearing on the retailer sites that purchase your books. If your book appears on this site, it is subject to change at any time without notifying you."
Just so everyone is aware, this also can apply to Createspace's Expanded Distribution on other websites like Barnes & Noble. All of my paperbacks disappeared off their site for some time only to appear again. I can't say how long they were gone, but they were definitely gone for a few months.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
#10... LOL!

I do think #6 about the $9.99 price ceiling is a valid point. Why do royalties revert to the lower rate after $9.99? What happens if you successfully sell your books for $6.99 and you want to do a box set of your 5 book series? It's not going to happen unless you take a big cut somewhere.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Total clickbait, IMO.

A

·
0 Posts
As I commented on the article, people who sell how-to books on publishing should be required to take a test first to prove they understand publishing.  ???

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
OUCH!  ::)

Boy was that writer schooled in the comments section and yes, for a moment I thought I missed a day of English class on Logarithms and Net Economics.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
HuffPo is not worth my time much anymore. Yeah, #1 took me aback as well. And I know from experience that if Amazon price matches your book when it's normally over $2.99, you get the 70% royalty on $0.99, but it's going to be $0.69, not $2.05 or whatever a $2.99 book usually gets in royalties.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Just another scammer trolling for the ignorant. They'll catch enough to pay them well, while the author wonders why they can't make any money off of "Kindle" books, when everybody says you can get rich.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts