Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Overdue. I'm not familiar with Ms. Whittaker's work. I see she is in the current Broadchurch, which has been stacking up on my PVR. I'll move it up on my TBW list.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think it is a great idea, I may be mistaken but hasn't the doctor talked about how he would like to be a women with ginger hair at one point? I think this will be an exciting chapter in the series.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
In an early episode, previous regenerations flashed past, supposedly from before stealing the tardis. One was a woman. OK,  some hold those to be false memories/criss-contamination, but still.

However, I really don't think the should have announced it. They shouldn't have announced the others either. We should just find out when it happens.

·
Super Moderator
67,248 Posts
archaeoroutes said:
In an early episode, previous regenerations flashed past, supposedly from before stealing the tardis. One was a woman. OK, some hold those to be false memories/criss-contamination, but still.

However, I really don't think the should have announced it. They shouldn't have announced the others either. We should just find out when it happens.
I kind of agree that it would have been fun to just have found out when the Christmas episode aired . . . but I gather it's been hard enough to keep secret for the last couple of months so keeping it secret for another 6 might have been well nigh impossible!

I applaud the choice . . . . if the Master can be Missy, why not a woman Doctor. Lots of hints in the latest season, too, that it was likely.

·
Super Moderator
67,248 Posts
Agreed.

Both could come back, even though they've been pretty well made out to be gone. River is, arguably, still in storage in the Library. And even though Missy killed the Master and vice versa, I'm sure they can get around that double murder/suicide or whatever it was. ???

A male companion is a definitely possibility, I think, or a couple like Rory and Amy -- though Amy was the 'main' companion and Rory a sort of tag-along at first. Or a group -- seems to me the 4th and 5th doctors sometimes had multiple companions of various genders and not all from Earth.

I think it will be interesting to watch . . . as always, there's no real point in judging until you see it for real. My favorite modern doctor was the 10th and it took me a while to enjoy the 11th and I still always liked his companions better. Except Clara -- I didn't much like her. I had no problem with her leaving the show, but really liked Bill -- and especially how she and the Doctor worked together -- and was sorry to see that she is apparently gone. OTOH she could come back along the way if it was good for the plot.

I really liked the first season of Broadchurch. The next was maybe not quite as good, but I still enjoyed it. I'm recording season 3 but have been busy so haven't sat down to watch any. At this point I'll probably just let it finish and then do a bit of a binge. :) When it was pointed out to me what role Whittaker has in that show, I did think -- yeah, she should be good as the Doctor; I guess we'll see!

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I really liked the first season of Broadchurch. The next was maybe not quite as good, but I still enjoyed it. I'm recording season 3 but have been busy so haven't sat down to watch any.
I bailed on the third series of Broadchurch three-quarters of the way through the first episode. It was not to my taste, although I watched all of the first and second series.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
No problem bringing back that Missy or Master - just meet them earlier in their timelines. After all, that's how they managed to meet each other. Or, of course, meet another earlier regeneration.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Chris Chibnall has also become the leading executive producer on the show as well replacing Steven Moffat.
He's worked on Torchwood and Broadchurch, so he  knows Jodie Whittaker.
Mat Stevens who was executive producer for An adventure in Time and Space, the story about the creation of the show is  apparently also working along side Chibnall.
So not only has  the Doctor changed but so has the  lead writers and producers.
Hopefully they'll both bring something fresh and new to the eleventh series.
Though I have to say the last season was pretty good, helped by  the other wonderful characters who accompanied the Doctor.
What ever else, I'm sure the  show will have a very different feel, perfect for it's  latest  regeneration.

·
Super Moderator
67,248 Posts
Regenerating* this old thread as the new series of Doctor Who starts this Sunday. I gather it will be aired at exactly the same time all around the world. For US viewers that's 1:45 on BBCA. Jodie Whitaker is doing the US junket this week -- she's on several US talk shows. My tivo is all set!

*see what I did there ;)

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I'm binge watching Dr Who on BBCA...

The new Doctor is an actress I watched in a limited series and liked a lot, so I'm happy.

Betsy

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
Can't wait to watch the new shows.  They are showing it at the same time as a PBS Masterpiece show - The Durells is on so I will have to record one of them.  Let's keep the dialogue going - share how you like it.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I thought I was going to have a problem with Whittaker's Yorkshire accent based upon chat-show appearances, but it turns out not to be the case. I enjoyed the episode.

I still think the showrunner is missing out by not having any previous characters at least put in an appearance. River Song and Nardole, for instance.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Physically and in some mannerisms, she kind of reminded me of Tennant,  even my husband commented on it.  (DT is the only Doctor he's at all familiar with.)

I like her, thought the episode was a bit slow developing.  But I'll keep watching.  She's my favorite new Doctor since Tennant, so far.

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,248 Posts
I thought she was excellent . . . . On first impression, I like her better than either 11 or 12. Definitely a bit of a call back to 10 to some extent. Also like the new companions, on first impression. Am looking forward to seeing the group gel, though, really, they worked pretty well from the start.
Was sorry about Grace :( but not surprised given there had already been pretty extensive promotion of the new companions and she wasn't one of them.

I watched the 1:45 show but there are supposed to be extra scenes or some such during the 8 p.m. showing so I'm recording it as well. :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts