Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Yay, I clicked this thread and saw my name!

There are some amazing people in this forum. I'm not surprised when I see familiar books getting recommended to me on Amazon.

I know I can get really critical sometimes, and it hasn't been great for my reading habits. About a year ago, I started reading in a different way--actively looking for what worked rather than looking for the flaws. I also downloaded some opening samples of both indies and trad-pubs of similar popularity and then, without looking at the price, tried to see if I could tell a difference. I couldn't.

Viva la indies!

·
Registered
163 Posts
My 15yo reads mostly Indies (ever since I gave her a Kindle 2+ years ago)...
She reads like a crazy person - so the price of Indie books works to our advantage.
If I buy a book for over $9.99 she actually gives me a hard time now  :D

She loves to tell others about the cool books that she's found on Amazon!

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Ever since I came here, I've switched to only reading Indies.  I find so many good books on people's signatures that I don't have time to read anything else.  LOL

Steve Vernon (Sudden Death Overtime was a fun read)
SM Reine and Kathleen Valentine...completely separate genres..both excellent writers
Dara England...loved her gothic style murder mystery..another great writer
Christopher David Petersen, Jude Hardin, Andrew Biss, so many more....so much fun!!
Trying to set aside a good block of time for Monique's wonderful time series...so many wonderful self-pubbers...so little time.  :)  I know I'm forgetting a ton of people.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hugh Howey (Wool)
Jim Ellis (Gifted)
Sharon Cummin (Sex and a Piece of Cake)
I am looking forward to reading Bedrich Pasek VIII

·
Registered
980 Posts
I've read a couple of decent books since joining by KB authors, although the third made me blush a little and I had to put it down (no names, no pack-drills).  :)

My favourite indie author is D.J Molles but I don't think he is a member. His 'Remaining' series is top notch.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Great idea for a thread! I'm also reading mainly indie authors now and loving it. They're fresher reads and not so cookie cutter in style. I feel like a lot of trad pubbed books are like singers who've had too many singing lessons - their voice gets smoothed away. Here are some of the indie's I enjoyed:

Amanda Cowley - Soul Protector

Hugh Howey - Wool and First Shift

Amanda Hocking - Trylle Trilogy

Sarah Dalton - Blemished Series

Winslow Eliot - A Perfect Gem

Suzy Turner - Raven saga

But I have loads more on my tbr pile.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I tend to keep a good mix of both Trad and Indie on my Kindle.

My favorite Indie Writers:

On-KB
Elle Casey
Denise Grover Swank
Debora Geary

Off-KB
Jess Owen
Naomi Lane
Adrienne Wilder

·
Registered
495 Posts
I haven't seen anyone mention them yet, so I'll add:

Susan Ee - Angelfall (started out indie but picked up by Amazon)
Katie French - The Breeders
Chrystalla Thoma - Elei's Chronicles

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hugh Howey--before he became Huge Howey  ;)
Dalya Moon
Deb Geary
Kate Danley
Courtney Milan
T.S. Welti
Sean Bloomfield
Joe Nobody

More, I'm sure, but having a hard time off the top of my head...

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've read and enjoyed:

Dalya Moon
Caitie Quinn
Hugh Howey
SM Reine
Ruth Nestvold
T.S. Welti
David Adams
Cassia Leo
Susan Ee
Brian Spangler
Moses Siregar III
Krista D. Ball
Zoe Cannon
Jack Rourk

And have a bunch more in my TBR pile (EC Sheedy, J.R. Tomlin, Theresa Weir, Colin Taber, Laura Rae Amos, Beverley Kendall, Clare KR Miller, Anya Allen to name a few....)

I love indies  ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
I recently read Laura Rae Amos's "Exactly Where They'd Fall" and declared it the best book I would probably read in all of 2013, even though it was only February.  Exceptional!

I am currently reading Richard Coady's "The Maya Papyrus" -- a doozy-long novel but easily the best Egyptian historical novel I've ever read, and I've read 'em all and written a couple which are highly regarded by fans of the subgenre, so I feel like my opinion counts extra when I say it's the best out there.  I don't think Ric hangs out on Kboards but I might have to lure him over here.  Since his book blew my mind by the end of the first chapter, I've been in contact with him trying to help him promote it, because it deserves wider recognition.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Lisa Scott - Flirts series
Mike Hicks - both the In Her Name Series and the Harvest series
Jeff Hepple - American historical fiction series
Lexi Revellian - Remix and Replica
L.J. Sellers - Det. Jackson series
Deb Geary - Novel Nibbles

And of course, the Wool omnibus.

I know there's more, but that's all I can think of right now. Many more on my tbr that I hope some day to get to.

·
Registered
226 Posts
"Well that's disappointing," Alan noted on Third Person Thursday or whatever it's called. "Apparently the gang here isn't into 20th century historical fiction. Oh well.."

That's okay, I get it - most of the reviews on Amazon and my fanmail are from people even older than me, some of whom say they actually remember World War II...I know my reading audience  :D

1 - 20 of 56 Posts