Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A decade or so ago one of the big promises was no book priced over $9.99.

But $16.99 for a Kindle book? It's not like expensive vellum paper or gold fleck infused ink or leather bindings are involved. Just a bunch of zeros and ones. And those are available by the billions for a few cents, unlike the paper and ink etc.. ???

edited to remove political commentary -- Ann

·
Super Moderator
67,253 Posts
I think of it this way: It's not the materials cost, but the creative costs. Someone researched, wrote, revised, edited, maybe researched some more, formatted, etc. And if it's got images or charts, that's more trouble on the production side even if it's ultimately going to be produced as an eBook. Chances are it's also published in paper and is probably more expensive. Without knowing what book you're talking about, it's hard to say what the reason is.

That said -- there never was a promise that nothing would cost more than $9.99. There was a stated goal that major publisher books would be under $10 initially. Not surprisingly, the next time they negotiated sales rights, that was changed.

Also, remember that value isn't just in materials or even production, but in what it means to the purchaser. What you are not willing to pay $16.99 for might be something that someone else sees as a bargain for whatever reason.

Now, I do agree that many kindle books are over-priced. But, honestly, for many, I can't make that judgement until I've read them. Not being sure of the quality of the writing, story, and production, I have some price levels at which I'm willing to spend depending on what I know of the author, whether it's a genre I like, etc. I have paid $14-$16 for kindle books by authors I particularly like. And I didn't think that was too much for what I got.

I've also read some that I thought were overpriced at $3. And a few I've borrowed for free that weren't even worth my time. No doubt, there are many who would think what I paid for the $14-$16 book was way too much and that the $3 was worth twice as much. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've seen a couple for that price, and if it's something I want, I immediately go to my library and place a hold. It means waiting a while, but I'm not paying those kind of prices so I wait. I do the same thing with books only available in paper. I'm no longer willing to have paper books around to dust, so I get them from the library.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
Once the publishers got involved and Apple started doing ebooks, the pricing structure changed.  But really, like Ann said, it's more "What are you willing to pay for xyz?"  Your answer may be different than mine and that's OK.  Personally I keep extensive wish lists and sort through them multiple times a day by price to catch sales.  I don't know that I'd pay $16.99 for an ebook - maybe if it was an author that I really liked.  But I have a hard time paying $14.99 for a new JD Robb In Death book.  If I happen to have gift card funds or slow shipping credits that's different.  I will spend gift money on the more expensive books.
I think I'm down to one or two authors where I will purchase on release day even if the price is $12.99.  I just read too fast and go through them so quickly that I don't feel I get my money's worth.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I definitely remember some sort of Amazon guarantee, maybe it was all NYT bestsellers, would never be more than $9.99. I have eaten and slept since then though. :)

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
I do remember some sort of banners on Amazon of "bestsellers $9.99 or less" or some thing. I think that was the goal and they did start that for a while.

Then Publishers and Apple said oh hell no they didn't, dined at a fancy place sipping champagne and colluded to not let us and Amazon have nice things. Many of us though did get some book money out of it when the court made a judgment on the collusion. Or whatever the legalese was called then. Didn't bring the 9.99 and below books back though.

So yeah, I do remember that 9.99 from many moons ago. I don't pay 16.99 for a ebook. I don't even pay 9.99 if I can help it. $7.99 is about my limit for a new release. I get really grouchy when they want that for something released 20 years ago though.

Because of all these sometimes strange prices, my default is now to go first to the library, when in the past I might have just pushed the "buy now" in my kindle if prices were still more reasonable for those particular cases.
Many series I read are like 14.99 or more for a new installment. Had they still stayed at the 7.99 and below, they might have made some money of me. Now I just have to get on long wait lists. And they don't get anything past whatever the library had to pay. Don't think that is what they had in mind, but oh well. Its one way to turn away actual paying customers.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get several emails daily of free and sale ebooks. I mostly pick free ones but if there's a good WWII in there I'll buy for a couple of dollars or so. I get enough "regular price" series from the authors I edit.

·
Registered
193 Posts
LDB said:
I get several emails daily of free and sale ebooks. I mostly pick free ones but if there's a good WWII in there I'll buy for a couple of dollars or so. I get enough "regular price" series from the authors I edit.
I get several of those daily-deal emails about ebooks too, as well as author newsletters mentioning deals on their books & maybe some other author-friends of theirs.
I also use (and $upport) ereaderiq where I keep a list of authors or books I want to watch for price drops, saves me having to check them daily.

Most of what I want come in well under $10 anyway & I've gotten a lot for a dollar or two.
I was (still am, but used to it by now) irritated when most of the Audible add-ons went to $7.49 instead of $1.99 a couple or three years ago.

There are also sites that offer books (that you can then send-to-your-Amazon-account) for low or no $, usually genre books; and a couple of sites that offer book-bundles at a good price.

None of these, of course, are going to have the Big Names, Hottest Headline Books, etc. but there's plenty of diverting reading to be had without spending much. It's easy to get carried away. {sigh}

·
Registered
892 Posts
It is all to do with value. As Wallace D Wattles said in his classic The Science of Getting Rich ...

The paper, ink, and other material in this book may not be worth the money you pay for it; but if the ideas suggested by it bring you thousands of dollars, you have not been wronged by those who sold it to you; they have given you a great use value for a small cash value.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts