Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I haven't really slept since this happened. SCANDALOUS hit the top 100 16 days ago. Prior to this happening, the book was given a new cover, I reworked the blurb, and it was put on sale for 99 cents. Reg price is $4.99. It had 33 reviews going in (then I lost 6 b/c the paper copies got split off during an update--bad timing).

Anyway, during the 16 days, A LOT has happened. I thought I'd share.

This is the book:

Genre: Contemporary Romance

It's been the top 100 for 16 days. I've sold ~20,000 units during that time. The only other book that has sold more was my debut YA PNR, but Scandalous is catching up.

One of the things that surprises me is the number of units sold compared to the number of reviews received. 20K sales resulted in less than 100 reviews. I have a clause at the end of the book that encourages them to write one. I've gotten more reviews than on of my friends in the top 100, but only slightly. What I've noticed is that the reviewers tend to be the ones who totally loved it or hated it. There arent very many ppl who are ho-hum about it posting ho-hum.

My book is weird in that the heroine is a minster, or was. I was venting when I wrote it. Anyway, its like 50 Shades of Footloose. :D d*mn, that shoulda been my description.

What else, oh, during this time I also found out stuff about bestseller lists. The book hit the USA TODAY bestsellers list last week, selling ~6.5K copies, and fell off this week despite selling more. I asked them if ebooks, paper, or hard cover are weighted differently. They said no. I checked the ebook Indies around me, across all platforms, and they stayed on the list and I didn't. I have no idea what happened. So, it's possible to get on, then sell way more books, and then fall off, which blows my mind, but OK. I also met another USA Today author. Her book spiked around the same time as mine and she hit the NY Times this week, which was awesome. Her rank that week was 23 at its highest and she sold about 20K units that week. There is a two week delay on books that hit the NYT list. So, it's possible to hit the NYT list after you fall out of the top 100 b/c of the delay. USA Today collects sales for Mon-Sun of the previous week.

Indie Reader and a bunch of others featured the book and compared it to other trad pub books, which was fun.

A foreign publisher wants to buy the rights for a Hungarian translation. I'm not sure what I'm doing about that yet. I'm worried I'll screw it up, so I'm just letting it sit for now.

I've gotten more fan mail, facebook comments, and tweets from new fans than reviews. They are stoked! I <3 happy people!

Every other romance book or novella I've written has felt the effects of the book at the top. Most are serials and in the top 600. Not as many readers crossed over to read my YA PNR, which makes up most of my novels at this point.

This book was written last April. It hung out in the 60K-100K range for a long time. This was the 1st book I wrote that was not YA PNR (omg, I <3 YA PNR!). Dude, romance sells way better than YA PNR. So I learned bread and butter books are romance and Holly's fun time books are YA PNRD.

I'm finishing up the sequel, which will be released on Valentine's Day.

I was wondering about numbers of the ppl hanging out up there in top 100 land, so I thought I'd share. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Added: Day 17, hit the New York Times Bestseller list!!! Wahoo!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I am green with envy.

Er, I mean, congratulations! :D It's great you're doing so well! I haven't gotten close to the 100s since the end of 2011, when it didn't mean nearly so many copies sold.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
First of all congrats!!! Those are some awesome numbers.

It's really interesting too because I absolutely LOVED your old cover for this book, thought it was just gorgeous with the colors.

But, this cover does seem to reflect the feel of the story better.

And it reminds me of the look of other covers that have done extremely well, thinking of On Dublin Street and Easy by Tamara Webber. Readers of those books would be drawn to this cover.

Hope you have a nice long stay up there!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Great overview, and WOW, huge congrats. So good to see people on this forum do so well

Matthew

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PamelaKelley said:
First of all congrats!!! Those are some awesome numbers.

It's really interesting too because I absolutely LOVED your old cover for this book, thought it was just gorgeous with the colors.

But, this cover does seem to reflect the feel of the story better.

And it reminds me of the look of other covers that have done extremely well, thinking of On Dublin Street and Easy by Tamara Webber. Readers of those books would be drawn to this cover.

Hope you have a nice long stay up there!
This was the old cover:

I LOVED this cover, but it didn't work. I waited almost a year to change it. The cover image is actually IN the book, so that sucked. Maybe I should include it inside the book somewhere? I need to learn how to add an image to the text.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MegHarris said:
I am green with envy.

Er, I mean, congratulations! :D It's great you're doing so well! I haven't gotten close to the 100s since the end of 2011, when it didn't mean nearly so many copies sold.
Thanks! Stuff has changes so much. I started in 2011 and the numbers are way different now than back then. Thought I'd share.

·
Registered
509 Posts
OMG! I had no idea it was that book!
Congrats on the success!
What do you think it was that pushed it there? Do I remember you saying something about Book Bub?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
brinacourtney said:
OMG! I had no idea it was that book!
Congrats on the success!
What do you think it was that pushed it there? Do I remember you saying something about Book Bub?
It jumped to 4.5K on its own. The day before the cover change/ price drop, it was at 100K. I told my fans that it was on sale (60K ppl), and ran BB at the same time. It kicked it up to the top 100. Bloggers who loved it, where happy to tell everyone they found it last year and loved it. And that was enough to make it stick. Prior to this, no one would list the book b/c ppl said it was 'erotic' in the reviews. It's not erotica. Anyway, I wish I knew more places to list it while its 99 cents, but I ran out of ppl who will take it. It's all controversial. Oh snap!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Congrats, Holly. It's so awesome for you and inspiring for the rest of us.
I do have a few questions for you:
1. What prompted the cover change? Was it just a lack of sales that mde you want to shake things up or something else?
2. Did I imagine it, or did the author name change too? Do you think that contribited to your current success?
3. What are your plans for the future with this book? Are you planning on leaving it at 99 cents or bumping the price back up?
Thanks so much for sharing all this great info.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts