Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My series is 7 books long right now and, in theory, will wrap up with the next two books, bringing the total up to 9.

Book 1 has more than twice as many reviews as any other books in the series.

Most of the reads are coming from KU at this point. Is it worth putting it permanently free or at $0.99?

I've been considering setting it to $0.99 and while I wrap up the series, then withdrawing the book from KU and making it free, also simultaneously releasing it on multiple other platforms in serial format at the release of the second to last &/or last book.

Good idea? Bad idea? Other ideas I should be considering?

Should I be pushing free and more platforms now to funnel more readers before the last two books?

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Note: Platforms isn't necessarily exclusive to ebook retailers, but includes websites that post serialized fiction for free.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm just providing a gut reaction since I don't have a series of that length.

Putting it at 0.99 sounds good since you're getting a 50% read-through on the series at least, assuming that your readership values $0.99 books to give the purchase a big bump. I'm not a proponent of free books, so the 0.99 sounds good assuming you're not cannibalizing your own profits (i.e. why not price it at 2.99?)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Or you can keep it at standard price. Your in KU and that helps with read-through.

I sell my first book at $3.99. This is for both my series starters. It costs me advertising $ to push sales, but it works for me fairly well and I'm not all that sure dropping the first book down to $0.99 or free would make a difference in sales. Plus, I can promote it in the future much more successfully in the future.

{edited for clarity
I see you're thinking of getting out of KU. But advertising the 1st book like I do is still a 3rd option for you.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm in a similar but almost opposite boat.

Eleven book series (working on the 12th, currently - the story just keeps going, and people just keep buying them!), and my 1st in series is permafree.

It takes a little advertising and semi-frequent promotions to keep it ticking over. But sell-through on a long series is good. Someone likes the freebie, chances are they go on to buy the rest, putting me in a net profit, even with the advertising costs for the first book.

I'm making very near the money of my day-job from the books, and I'm hoping with a little push I'll be able to break that barrier this year.

However, one idea I've been toying with is pulling the first book from permafree, to put in KU, which the rest of the series already are. That way, I'll be able to start making box sets, without leaving the first book out.

My thinking is, I'm gonna keep applying for Bookbubs with the permafree until maybe end of summer. If they don't accept me (fingers crossed they will, my one last year was a real boost), then I'll go the KU route, and start offering the first box set of three books up for promo, hoping that a 3 book box set will be a more tempting proposition for them.

Alternatively, what I could also do is pull the whole series OUT of KU, putting it all wide. However, KU reads are a good third of my income atm, and I balk at the idea of leaving that money on the table. I know there's potential wide will do better, but it's the whole idea of forsaking money now to potentially earn money later.

Geez... none of us knew there'd be so many decisions when we first took up the pen, did we?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts