Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today marks the beginning of my second year of indie/self-publishing.

I had decided, in the beginning, to give myself a year to see how it panned out. At the moment it has panned out very well, indeed, though there were times . . .

Totals:
5 books published
3841 books sold
$7000 (approx) earned

90% of the above has occurred during the past 3 months.

Sales:
Jun 2010 - 16 (Published 'Courtesan' 03 Jun $0.99 , 'Pilton's Moon' 24 Jun $0.99)
Jul 2010 -  39 (Published 'Pelgraff' 29 Jul $2.99)
Aug 2010 - 36
Sep 2010 - 31
Oct 2010 - 14 (Raised price of 'Courtesan' to $2.99. Getting pretty worried at this point.)
Nov 2010 - 34
Dec 2010 - 28
Jan 2011 - 42 (Published 'Ghost Fleet' 09 Jan $2.99)
Feb 2011 - 54 (things finally starting to pick up - almost 2 sales per day--double what went before)
Mar 2011 - 657 (Mar 1-4th 12 sales. Mar 5th Nathan Lowell recommended Courtesan in his blog)
Apr 2011 - 1181 (Published 'The Steadfasting' 20 Apr $2.99)
May 2011 - 1593
Jun 2011 - 116 (2 days' sales to end first year)

Hours spent writing, rewriting, revising, editing and proofing --> uncounted, but lots.
Hours spent on Kindleboards --> I'm not even going there--too embarrassing to add those up.
Reviews on Amazon(US & UK): 32 (4 and 5 stars each).

Conclusion: It was worth it -- would have been worth it even if sales continued at 2 or 3 per day. My books, which took long years of writing, are finally in the public eye and people are buying and reading.

My thanks to:

My beta readers, who made important observations which allowed me to make my books better before they were published.

My Proofer, who caught multitudinous errors (re-inserted by gremlins after I'd weeded them all out).

Fellow members on Kindleboards who offered encouragement--even if they don't know they did it.

J.A. Konrath, whose blog convinced me to go this route.

Nathan Lowell, whose recommendation fired up my 'break-out'.

Readers, bless them, who make it all worth while.

And, of course, Amazon, whose site made it easy (relatively -- darned formatting) to publish and sell.

This writing and publishing game isn't easy. It's a lot of hard, hard work. It has provided me with days of gloom, frustration and insecurity as well as the days of euphoria. I still feel insecure after 3 months of good (and increasing) sales. But, I guess that's what I signed up for. Life as a 'word slut' . . . 'word wh***' . . . uh . . . 'professional' can be trying.

Anyway, that's my report for the first year. It doesn't always come easy or quickly and you only lose when you give up. I haven't given up yet.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Thanks for sharing that - interesting reading. I like to see where my 3 month's sales fit into other people's experiences.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Victorine said:
Congratulations, and thanks for being so open with your information. I love your numbers because it shows what the potential is even if things start out slow.

And I'm dying to know what Nathan said to you. ;D

Vicki
Nathan recommended 'Courtesan' on his blog:

'Doug Boulter hangs out on one of the writer's forums that I frequent. I got intrigued by some of his comments and went looking for his books. Courtesan appealed to me because it's also set in a trade-based universe (no space battles or bug eyed monsters) and his plot is very largely character driven with two of his major plots revolving around the characters (a romance plot and a sibling rivalry plot).

If you're looking for something to read while I continue to wrestle with my next one, check it out.'

He said that he figured it would probably result in at least 10 or 12 sales over the next few days. He underestimated slightly. Sales that day jumped to 28 and didn't drop below the teens since then.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
modwitch said:
What, those of us who picked on your old Courtesan cover don't get any credit? ;) :D :D :D
I'm still upset about that. I probably would have had twice the sales had I kept the old cover.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
D.A. Boulter said:
Nathan recommended 'Courtesan' on his blog:

'Doug Boulter hangs out on one of the writer's forums that I frequent. I got intrigued by some of his comments and went looking for his books. Courtesan appealed to me because it's also set in a trade-based universe (no space battles or bug eyed monsters) and his plot is very largely character driven with two of his major plots revolving around the characters (a romance plot and a sibling rivalry plot).

If you're looking for something to read while I continue to wrestle with my next one, check it out.'

He said that he figured it would probably result in at least 10 or 12 sales over the next few days. He underestimated slightly. Sales that day jumped to 28 and didn't drop below the teens since then.
Fantastic! That's wonderful! (I thought recommendation was what he recommended to you, but I see now what you meant.)

And all it took was one person who liked your book and mentioned it on a popular blog. Take heart, folks, this is true for everyone. Even if you're selling one a day, all it takes is one sale to someone vocal about what they like. :D

Vicki

G

·
Congratulations! And I was just about to write up a thread like this, because I've been playing author for one year too!  :)

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Thanks for sharing that and congratulations!  It's stories like this that got me thinking any of this was possible in the first place.

And let's hear it Jason!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I'm so pleased that the recommendation carried some weight and that the audience has continued to grow.

Congrats, DA, and best wishes for continued success.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for writing this up and to what looks like a pretty profitable year. (at least the last 3-4 months)

It's amazing how books just seem to take off at one point.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Inspirational post--that's what i need to hear. congrats on your increasing sales! so there is hope for one-sale-a-day authors like me!  

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
modwitch said:
It is in your power to change it back.

<bets, anyone?>
Unfortunately, due to a computer crash, I lost the old cover.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Nathan Lowell said:
I'm so pleased that the recommendation carried some weight and that the audience has continued to grow.

Congrats, DA, and best wishes for continued success.
Hi Nathan.

I picked up Full Share (Solar Clipper Trader Tales). Haven't gotten around to it yet, but I see it's #1 in Space Opera. 'Bout time you got it out.

alan nayes said:
Inspirational post--that's what i need to hear. congrats on your increasing sales! so there is hope for one-sale-a-day authors like me!
Up to the end of December or middle of January, (i.e. 7-8 months) I averaged one sale per day.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thanks for sharing, D.A.!  Gives me some encouragement.  Believe me, I can use it.

Wishing you great success.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
D.A. Boulter said:

Anyway, that's my report for the first year. It doesn't always come easy or quickly and you only lose when you give up. I haven't given up yet.
It's so wonderful to see you're getting the readers you deserve. You were the first person to give my poor book a review, and I've been grateful ever since.

Plus you write good books!

·
Registered
156 Posts
alan nayes said:
I am not even hitting one a day, but as I only have one children's story out there I am not overly worried..... much....
But still, a thread like this really gives me hope that it wont always be that way.
Now, back to the grind, I have another story almost finished.....

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks for sharing your report  ;) It's encouraging, to say the least. Hope your surge in sales continues!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Thanks D.A! Yours is one of the topmost informative and inspiring posts I've seen on Kboards since I joined a few months back! I not only bookmarked it, but saved the web page to disk.

I hope I'm able to match your contribution to the forum at some point myself (pretty sure I won't be able to surpass it).

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Congratulations! Yes, I'd agree your venture panned out just fine.  ;)

Also appreciate you sharing your numbers--very interesting seeing what boosted sales.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts