Kindle Forum banner

721 - 740 of 1076 Posts

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
NavyGirl Leigh said:
Okay I am seriously confused... sorry to keep adding to all of this but I am in and out all the time. Is the update out, or some where that I can down load it? I have 2.3 (399380047) which one is that exactly?

lastly if and when I am directed to download it myself how do I make it work on my kindle?

Shana Leigh
The update is starting to get released. Last night, I was able to capture it before it was installed (I had the hacks on) The version I have is for a K2i (running version 2.3.4) If you have a K2I, then you'll be able to use this update.

To tell if you have a K2i Go to home>Menu>settings>then type in 411, you'll find your serial number. If it starts with B003, you're good to go and have a k2i

However you need to do 2 smaller updates first to get it to 2.3.4 first

Here's what you'll need:

This goes to 2.3.3
http://rapidshare.com/files/382788816/Update_kindle2_gw_2.3.3.bin

This goes from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4
http://rapidshare.com/files/382794043/Update_kindle2_gw_2.3.4.bin

Here's the one to go from 2.3.4 to 2.5.2:
http://www.mediafire.com/?nqy2qmnmyjm

·
Registered
409 Posts
Delayed Gratification is a refined art, by Gawd!  I'm waiting, I tell you!  Waiting for "nature to take its course"....!      :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
I feel like I've been very patient. But I'm starting to lose it now. I just caught myself actually considering buying a new kindle just so I could get the upgrade now!
Please help Amazon- I'm losing my mind!

Or maybe that's their secret plan to boost sales?  :D

·
5,885 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
I can actually understand why they haven't put up the files yet. At the moment, it looks like there will be at least 12 different files (k2, k2i, dx, and dxi times 2.3, 2.3.3, 2.3.4)
I'm not sure if that's actually so - my DX updated straight from 2.3.3 to 2.5.2 with no 2.3.4 or 2.5 in between - or do we assume that in an auto update it actually does three updates at the same time? And anyway, even if 12 different files are needed, how hard would it be to put those up on the website? I don't believe fear of confusing users is a good enough excuse. It's not rocket science.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Linjeakel said:
I'm not sure if that's actually so - my DX updated straight from 2.3.3 to 2.5.2 with no 2.3.4 or 2.5 in between - or do we assume that in an auto update it actually does three updates at the same time? And anyway, even if 12 different files are needed, how hard would it be to put those up on the website? I don't believe fear of confusing users is a good enough excuse. It's not rocket science.
I'm pretty sure you're correct. It shouldn't matter what version you're currently on. Even it if did they would either push that needed version first or make it part the 2.5.2 download.

I wouldn't think they would rely on the users to make sure they're on the necessary version. IMHO, 90%+ of users would want to mess with trying to figure out which increment they're on, finding the correct update file for their particular Kindle, and doing the manual update.

IMO, unless someone want to manually update to 2.5, they don't need worry about doing anything else.

My 2¢ FWIW. :)

Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
The update files worked perfectly. Finally I can lock my kindle so no more worrying about leaving my smut novels laying out when family is over  :D. Thank you!

How the heck do I make my collection folders go in some other order than as they are created?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sooooo, as I understand it, to date no one with a US model, either K2 or DX, has received the update???

And to think, us oldies paid $100 MORE for our Kindles too!!! I really was hoping we wouldn't get the stepchild treatment.

<waiting patiently and trying not to pout>

It will get here when it does. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Vicki G. said:
Sooooo, as I understand it, to date no one with a US model, either K2 or DX, has received the update???

And to think, us oldies paid $100 MORE for our Kindles too!!! I really was hoping we wouldn't get the stepchild treatment.

<waiting patiently and trying not to pout>

It will get here when it does. :)
My US K2 is still waiting too. :(

·
Registered
882 Posts
Just wanted to pop back in here and say THANK YOU to those that posted the download files here. I had no idea that I had a K2i until instructions for doing 411 on the settings screen were posted here. I downloaded the .bin files last night and updated to 2.5.2 with no problems. Got collections set up, but will probably tweak them some more.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Question - Is it a good idea to download this update if Amazon haven't finished and released the corrected version yet?

I'm patiently (not) waiting for the collections so I can put all my books where they belong, too confusing trying to remember what type of books all those freebies are  :D

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Just want to again remind all you guys who've used the file that Heather -- luvmy4brats -- captured for you. . . . .well, she's walking in the Komen 3 day for the cure. . . .a donation, in thanks (and for her patience in helping everyone here get it loaded), would NOT be amiss. . . .link is in her signature!

·
Registered
67 Posts
YAY!  It worked!  Im trying to play with it as I get ready for work.... yah I know... I should be getting ready and not playing on here between brushing teeth and combing hair!

Last question, has anyone mastered a hack for screen savers and fonts with the new update?

Thanks again for your help and the files!  I LOVE IT so far so good, but I have a lot of work ahead of me, 439 books need to find a home (file)

Have a great day everyone!

Oh and those walking or running in the race for the cure - Thank you!

~Shana Leigh

·
Registered
247 Posts
prickles said:
So now there are downloadable files for all the kindles but the K2?

Ack! :D
See, this is what I get for not reading the entire thread. I didn't realize all the links were for the K2i. :-\ But I still can't seem to go from 2.0.3 to 2.3, so I have a little time.

721 - 740 of 1076 Posts