Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a weird problem ast night. I couldn't wake up my K1, but did notice the the silver thingy was moving around as if Amazon might be upgrading my K1. Today. I still coudn't wake it up. I shut off my Kindle. Nothing. Then I took out my SD card, which had nothing on it. Put the Kindle back on.Then, I reset. It worked. Then, I noticed that 2 of my Outlander series books were gone, but 1 Outlander series book that I had finished reading was there. I looked in my contents page. Nothing. Wasn't there. So tonight, I re-downloaded the 2 books again from my computer. Does anyone know what could have happened???? I know that I had not deleted them.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I don't think I have had books disappear, but I can't say for sure since I have so many on my K-1.

I have had the silver thing spinning like crazy and doing nothing that I can tell. When I finally shut it off and turned it back on, it took a while to come to life and then it seemed fine again.

I think all the Kindles are just having some kind of glitches happening to them.

Hope this doesn't happen often for you.

Sailor

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
Toby - I didn't see your post when I rushed to the computer and started the "are K1s updating" thread last night - mine also did something wierd, but I didn't lose anything except the "show all" sort in my Content Manager which it always does after a reset and I have to wait for a WN connection and ask it to refresh items to see both kindle and amazon books.  Were the Outlander books on your home page initially?  And were they completely gone from your Content Manager or were on "kindle items" only showing after the reset?  At least we know we were not alone in a strange occurence with our K1s last night.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are excellent questions. I did have those books on my home screen & they would have been on my contents manager of my K1. They all appeared in the same order after the reset - current book at the 1st page. No, none on my SD card. I had transferred all books that were on my SD card back to my Kindle awhile ago, when I read how some indexing of books were having bad effects on some kindles. I have never had the silver ball moving in a circle thingy problem before. I also saw nothing to say that the Kindle was upgrading & my WN was off. I've had to reset my K1 2x's before that, but never had this problem. I also did not add any books or documents or anything for quite a while, since I decided to just add books/ doc's to my K2. Can't imagine why those 2 books dissapeared. I don't even know if any more books dissapeared, since I have many pages. The Outlander books were purchased from Amazon & I was able to download them again from the computer.
    I did read your other thread before coming back to my thread here. I guess my K1 wasn't the only Kindle acting funny. I'm still curious as to why those books dissappeared. If it was indexing, why would the books dissappear from the contents manager?

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
Toby said:
I guess my K1 wasn't the only Kindle acting funny. I'm still curious as to why those books dissappeared. If it was indexing, why would the books dissappear from the contents manager?
Beats me! I have not heard of anyone having this problem before. I'm glad they were still in your Amazon Manage Your Account and you were able to get them back. I can't imagine why anything would disappear from Content Manager unless Amazon was pulling a book entirely for legal reasons (I think that happened with a Harry Potter that made it through to Amazon and was completely pulled from accounts when folks deleted it from their Home Page). Hopefully it was just a one-time wierdness!

·
Registered
126 Posts
marianner said:
Is it possible that you had moved them to the SD card and forgotten about it?
I was thinking the same thing. Id you have removed the SD card with the Kindle on, it might have destroyed any files that are in it.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
So they reappeared after a reset?  And the were Outlander books?  I've noticed that sometimes after a reset, or just a little K1 wonkiness, my home screen seems to be reloading, or refreshing the list.  Maybe it was just trying to refresh the list, and these didn't appear immediately because they were very large?  I guess all's well that ends well, though.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
    Nope, the 2 Outlander series books did not appear AFTER the reset. That is when I noticed that they were gone. I had just been updating the Loc number, by typing it in, in the Voyager book 2 nights before. That book, at least was there before the K1 went funny. The next night, when I tried to put the K1 on, it wouldn't go on & had the silver thingy moving. I had to wait until the next day to fix it, since it was late.
    I did remove the SD Card, before resetting it, so that is a very good question, but wouldn't I still see the books listed in the contents manager, if those books were in fact, on the SD card? If books on an SD card would dissappear from the "contents manager", if you take out the SD card, then maybe that is the answer. I have never removed the SD card before & I also thought that I had removed all of the books from it, but maybe I left some books on it. I wil have to check on that later when I have time. Does anyone know if this is so, by removing an SD card??? Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
I hadn't thought about that possibility.  If you put books on an SD card and then remove the card, they do not show up in the content manager until you put the card back in (with the little SD notation by the side instead of Amazon or Kindle).  I have several "big" books that I don't want taking up Kindle memory (bibles and cookbook come to mind), but do use often enough that I like being able to open them directly from the SD card rather than transferring them back from Amazon storage. They are still on Manage Your Account at Amazon to redownload if something happens to the SD card.  Let us know if that solves the problem!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Just thought I'd add my K1's recent glitch to the discussion.

Yesterday, while changing between books, my K1 froze. It's done this a few times, generally when using the "experimental" internet, and only responds to pushing the "reset." I did the reset, and when I restarted, couldn't find the book I was just reading. I clicked to open a few others, and each time I went back to "home", they seemed to disappear from my homepage, which is set to "most recent first." Out of curiosity, I paged ahead to the LAST page of my "home," and the most recently opened books were DEAD LAST! I did another reset, and this was still present, even after I switched options back-and-forth on my homepage. Finally, after about the 4th reset, all was well, and most recently opened texts were, again, at the top of page 1.

Are others here having freezes occur often? I have this happen probably once/week, requiring a reset. I NEVER remove the SD card unless my K1 is off, I have 50 pages for "home," with all but "samples" moved over to the SD card, so I have 115MB open yet on my K1 internal memory.

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
Note that sorting by 'most recent' may not work if you reset without WN on.  Kindle doesn't know what day or time it is.  It needs WN to 'phone home' and sync itself to the world.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
    Nope, the books were not there in any order, even after a refresh. 2 of 1st 3 Outlander series books were gone. Then, after getting off the computer early last night, I thought that if I had them on the SD card, then why wasn't all 3 books gone? Only 2 were gone.
    Tonight, I put my SD card back in, so I could check to see if any books were on there. There was. I forgot that I had taken all the books off of the SD card, but then put some back, because I didn't have alot of memory left & I wanted to make sure that I got the last K1 update. I found the books on the SD card. 1 book 1st said on Kindle memory, then I saw it change to SD. Hmmmm, I didn't expect that. I was about to say, "I found the answer". They were on my SD card & when you remove the card, they dissappear from the contents manager page. With that said, then why would 1 of my 3 Outlander series book stay on my home page if it was also on my SD Card????? Also, I have to say that I never put on my WN, so don't know if that would have changed anything. Oh, & I also have those books on my K2 as well.
    R0b.....I wonder if some of those books are re-indexing, & that is causing your Kindle to freeze up. Maybe you should call CS. I've read that some people have removed all their books & then re-downloaded few books at a time to see if any were causing probems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts