Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone is forgetting something about on board memory. Its not a total of 2 gigs. You need room for the firmware. Everytime the firmware updates it will take more of your 2 gigs up so you will never have 1500 books on it.

PLUS those who are buying a K2 must remember how IPods are..I bet within 6 months a K2.5 with more on board memory will be on sale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
That may be true.  Unfortunately that is how the tech march works.  Had I gotten a K1 in the fall I wouldn't have felt in the least bit peeved this morning like I did because I was in-line.  I have to face some facts - I pulled the trigger on accessories too soon.  The big one, the M-Edge case, I'm hoping M-Edge will exchange for me.

I'm eagerly awaiting my K2 now though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
2 gigs (1.4 for actual books) is immensely tiny if you put audio books on your Kindle. I know they have a text to speech feature, but some audio books have very good voice acting (Max Brooks World War Z comes to mind, the audiobook has some famous people reading as the characters), and wouldn't you rather have that the a computerized GPS voice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
You are right. According to the Amazon website, only 1.4 GB is available for storage, the rest of the 2 GB in K2 is used up by firmware. And K1 seems to be able to use 16 GB cards with no problem. That is really a big plus for K1 in my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Wisteria Clematis said:
You are right. According to the Amazon website, only 1.4 GB is available for storage, the rest of the 2 GB in K2 is used up by firmware. And K1 seems to be able to use 16 GB cards with no problem. That is really a big plus for K1 in my opinion.
I was surprised with the 2 GB number. Seeing as Ipod nanos come in 8 GB and 16 GB models, it couldn't have been difficult to offer in one (or both) of those sizes. Must be a cost issue and they probably can't offer multiple memory options until demand is high enough to justify producing separate models.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Brian said:
I was surprised with the 2 GB number. Seeing as Ipod nanos come in 8 GB and 16 GB models, it couldn't have been difficult to offer in one (or both) of those sizes. Must be a cost issue and they probably can't offer multiple memory options until demand is high enough to justify producing separate models.
Considering that SD memory is so bloody cheap, it seems that they could have just stuck a bit more flash memory in there, 4-8gb, easily, without having to hike up the price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
In the unlikely event I ever own 1500 books, I don't see myself wanting to store all of them on my device. My measly four-page Content Manager makes me feel overwhelmed!

Those with huge libraries: Do you plan to store all of your books on your device?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
I think that 1.4 gigs of actual space is plenty for most people -- there's no real need to keep every single book you have on the Kindle all the time, after all (especially without folders!)  Between keeping them on Az and on a hard drive on a laptop or desktop, you can still fit plenty to take with you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Dangerosa said:
In the unlikely event I ever own 1500 books, I don't see myself wanting to store all of them on my device. My measly four-page Content Manager makes me feel overwhelmed!

Those with huge libraries: Do you plan to store all of your books on your device?
Oh yes.

Put it this way. I originally bought the a 80 gig iPod so I could hold my entire music collection. I wanted to have everything with me so I could listen to whatever I wanted at any point in time, instead of having to be at my PC and changing what was on my iPod frequently. I'm planning on upgrading to a 160gb soon, since I've outgrown the 80.

That's how I feel about my Kindle. If I had 1500 books, I'd want to be able to pick any of them up and read them without going onto my PC and mucking about with switching them out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
Dangerosa said:
In the unlikely event I ever own 1500 books, I don't see myself wanting to store all of them on my device. My measly four-page Content Manager makes me feel overwhelmed!

Those with huge libraries: Do you plan to store all of your books on your device?
Eventually. Most of them anyway. In another few years hubby and I are retiring and will be moving into a much smaller home. I ran a bookstore for many years so you can't even imagine how many books are crammed into our big house now! We will probably end up donating most of them to a library. The kindle is going to make it possible to still have access to a lot of books even though we will be downsizing our home. 1.4 GB just would not be enough for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
I have had my kindle for a year, I have a 2g card, I am using about a qaurter of it. I don't see my self using all of the 1.4g memory that is offer.  You got too remember that an e book take up very little space, I have 38 page on my home screen. Now audio files do take up a lot more space, I didn't buy the kindle to be another Ipod or cd player. Just my 2 cent. By the way I per order my kindle 2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,324 Posts
Couldn't you use the SD card to store Amazon and non-Amazon books? I know you would have to have a card reader for the computer but still it would be a way to store all the books in an easily transported manner. Pop it into a laptop, transfer to the Kindle via USB, done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
intinst said:
Couldn't you use the SD card to store Amazon and non-Amazon books? I know you would have to have a card reader for the computer but still it would be a way to store all the books in an easily transported manner. Pop it into a laptop, transfer to the Kindle via USB, done.
This is what I plan on doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,803 Posts
I have a 1GB card in my Kindle that is not even close to being filled, but I still like the idea of essentially limitless storage.  Maybe I'll suddenly develop a liking for listening to all sorts of classical music while I read.  Maybe I'll want to listen to lots of audiobooks someday.  I don't know.  Practically speaking at this point, the 2GB on K2 should be enough for me, but it's the possibility to adapting my Kindle to whatever needs might develop that I would miss.

That said, the K2 sure does look nice!  Still can't justify the upgrade at this point, though!

N :)

BTW, is Amazon discontinuing the SD card capability due to piracy concerns or is it something else?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
between the Kindle 2, Amazon's servers and my laptop I have unlimited space.  Without folders :(  I may want to limit what I keep on the Kindle anyway (but won't know 'til I use it).

At any rate I doubt that I will exceed 1500 books in my e-library before I'm ready to upgrade the e-reader anyway....

I think the memory will work for me - but only time will tell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Neekeebee said:
BTW, is Amazon discontinuing the SD card capability due to piracy concerns or is it something else?
It would make no sense to do so, considering they say you can back up your books on your computer. Whether they get there by SD card or USB cable, they're equally susceptible to piracy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts
Okay, I have a question. Let's pretend that I know nothing about SD cards, flash drives, etc. :)  Would I be able to send my library from Amazon to my computer and then store the library on a flash drive. And then would I be able to put the flash drive in my computer and download certain books to my Kindle?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Bluebell said:
Okay, I have a question. Let's pretend that I know nothing about SD cards, flash drives, etc. :) Would I be able to send my library from Amazon to my computer and then store the library on a flash drive. And then would I be able to put the flash drive in my computer and download to my Kindle?
Yes you would. from what I understand.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top