Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes we overlook all the great books that are being written for teenagers. I recently read two Y.A. books that adults will enjoy reading...

"The Grimm legacy" by Polly Shulman. This is about a library but they don't lend books, they lend objects and some of them are magical. Some of the magical items are disappearing and it's up to the teenage library page's to figure out what's going on. The plot is predictable... the "magic" is in the details the author writes about.

"The dead travel fast" by Deanna Raybourn. This is a classic example of Gothic literature. I'm not a fan of vampires and werewolves - at least in the current tradition. Here they are hinted at but never really proven one way or another. It's set in Scotland and Romania of the 1850's. Again, the details of Romania are dark and oppressive - very well done.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've heard that Polly Schulman's book was good; I'll have to pick that one up.

Franny Billingsley's CHIME -- available on Kindle -- is another YA novel that I think adult readers might enjoy. Anyone who liked Libba Bray's GREAT AND TERRIBLE BEAUTY would like this one, I think. Interesting combination of history, fantasy, and romance:

Chime

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I didn't think The Dead Travel Fast was a YA novel? I didn't think she wrote YA actually. The main character was an adult as far as I remember.

I loved Delirium by Lauren Oliver. Fantastic dystopian YA book.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Laura Ruby said:
I've heard that Polly Schulman's book was good; I'll have to pick that one up.

Franny Billingsley's CHIME -- available on Kindle -- is another YA novel that I think adult readers might enjoy. Anyone who liked Libba Bray's GREAT AND TERRIBLE BEAUTY would like this one, I think. Interesting combination of history, fantasy, and romance:

Chime
"Great and terrible beauty" has been a huge hit here in our library (high school & public) so I think we may have to get this one & I'll add it to my list. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation on The Grimm Legacy. The premise sounds right up my alley.

Graceling by Kristen Cashore is another YA I'd recommend to adults. I could go on about Harry Potter, but I think it's popular enough that you've read it or probably never will.

I also would recommend If I Stay by Gayle Foreman, and the Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr.

And oh, so many others. But I'll stop here. For now.  :D

·
Registered
604 Posts
I don't know for sure if it's billed as YA, but Tempest by Holly Hook is a fun book about a 16 year old
girl who also happens to be a hurricane.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts