Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20 Books to 50K Facebook Group...Has anyone not got accepted? I tried multiple times...answered all the correct facebook questions and they still wont accept me in the group...anyone else have this experience? It seems like so many say great things about this group but I cannot join for some reason...anyone else have this experience?

·
Registered
237 Posts
When I joined it took almost a week for them to approve. I had to cancel and apply a couple of times. So the mods may be busy or facebook is glitching. How long have you been waiting?

Also worth noting is that the mods really don't mod much on Wednesdays and Sundays. Those are their 'days off'.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The mods have Wednesdays and Sundays off, so if you applied either of those days, you might have been lost in the shuffle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just applied yesterday, and got accepted today.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Yes, likely just the mods not caught up from being "off" yesterday. They work really hard keeping the group inline with the rules. I'd give them a day or two, see if they get around to you.

I've been a member for a couple of years now, it's a very helpful group. But -- BUT -- you need to read the linked units and then search for help before you ask questions. It's very much an enforced rule that newbie questions aren't answered, the information is out there, handily collected in the units, for the most part. Also, it's not for cover discussion, nor craft discussion. Other than those few rules, it's a great group.

·
Registered
17 Posts
unkownwriter said:
I've been a member for a couple of years now, it's a very helpful group. But -- BUT -- you need to read the linked units and then search for help before you ask questions. It's very much an enforced rule that newbie questions aren't answered, the information is out there, handily collected in the units, for the most part. Also, it's not for cover discussion, nor craft discussion. Other than those few rules, it's a great group.
Truth be told, most of my questions were rejected by the mods even though there were NO answers in history of the group neither in the units. They're a bit trigger-happy but with a group this size it's understandable. Also, with its rich history and taboos (you can't post anything about reviews, for example) it can make you feel you're a stranger in a very close-knit community. Still worth it to join IMO.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i got accepted and yes, they didn't approve a question i posted about publishing. that's why i like kboards - i can post a lot of questions and faster answers and most of the time, your questions are allowed. good to see i'm not the only one with that experience. still seems like a great group because the good thing is they have a lot of success stories which can be motivating and eye opening.

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
I never heard of this group before. What does the group's title mean, exactly?

unkownwriter said:
Yes, likely just the mods not caught up from being "off" yesterday. They work really hard keeping the group inline with the rules. I'd give them a day or two, see if they get around to you.

No cover advice or writing discussion. So what is it for-- marketing only??

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was accepted over a year ago and didn't notice any lag time. I've only had one or two posts, but none rejected. Since I have both self-published and trad published books, I can only use about half of what they say, but that half is dynamite. Keep trying!

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Jena H said:
I never heard of this group before. What does the group's title mean, exactly?

No cover advice or writing discussion. So what is it for-- marketing only??
The concept is that you can make $50,000 a year if you write 20 books and market them effectively.

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
ShayneRutherford said:
The concept is that you can make $50,000 a year if you write 20 books and market them effectively.
So yeah, sounds like marketing advice. 20 books in a year... to me that sounds like a more-than-full-time job. I wonder if quality suffers at that rate.

(Just personal thoughts... YMMV.)

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Jena H said:
So yeah, sounds like marketing advice. 20 books in a year... to me that sounds like a more-than-full-time job. I wonder if quality suffers at that rate.

No, it's not 20 books a year, it's just 20 books. Like, once you get to 20 books you're supposed to be able to earn $50k a year. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to get that many written.

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
ShayneRutherford said:
No, it's not 20 books a year, it's just 20 books. Like, once you get to 20 books you're supposed to be able to earn $50k a year. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to get that many written.

Ah, I see, thanks for clarifying that particular point, which wasn't obvious.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Jena H said:

There's a lot of different topics in it--some motivational posts, number sharing, a lot of marketing advice, etc.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
So what is it for-- marketing only??
Basically yes. There's a focus on finding your way to making money, which means knowing how to effectively market. There are plenty of places to discuss craft, covers (there's an offshoot group) and other things related to writing.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
The name comes from the founder's idea that he could write 20 books (not in a year, total) and make $50K in a year. He has done some math to figure this out. The concept won't work for everyone, of course, nothing does, but it's a basic plan to write and market effectively to bring a certain level of income.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You're not the only one. My request didn't go through, but I sent it in on a Saturday night which might as well be Sunday and I just signed up for Facebook and have nothing on my profile but a picture of my cat. In my defense, no one I know is on Facebook but my mom.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts