Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering what people forsee their budget will be spent on kindle books. Ive loaded a few gift cards just to be used for kindle, I'm at $150....not counting k2 ;D but if i have 2 kindles my budget may double, but reading with family is so fun it'd be worth it!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Elijsha said:
just wondering what people forsee their budget will be spent on kindle books. Ive loaded a few gift cards just to be used for kindle, I'm at $150....not counting k2 ;D but if i have 2 kindles my budget may double, but reading with family is so fun it'd be worth it!
For my wife and myself (we usually read entirely different things so it costs twice as much) I would say AT LEAST $500 for the year for K books. However, if they come up with more of my old favorites, I will spend more.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't have a Kindle budget, per se, but other than the 5 books I downloaded right away, I'm not buying any until I'm ready to read them, so I'm saving a TON of money on books.

The UPS guy is going to be so glad!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
My budget is 50.00 a month but I ran out the first week of January. I had enough to tide me over though and I haven't went over budget so I'm pretty proud of myself.

Melissa

·
Registered
788 Posts
I don't have a set budget for books, but it's safe to say that if I did, I'd go over it.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Mikuto said:
I don't have a set budget for books, but it's safe to say that if I did, I'd go over it.
Hm....maybe we should start a club.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Right now I am finishing off Christmas Gift Cards. I bought a couple of movies with those gift cards so it has not all gone to books. Once the gift cards are gone I am probably going to be wait until I have finished what I have on my Kindle before buying anything new.

That will last about a week or so. (sigh)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I did a little cost/benefit analysis before I ordered a Kindle, so now's a good time to take a look at how I'm doing compared to my estimates/assumptions. We've never really had a budget for books. We're avid readers and, by choice, no longer have television. Buying books in the past involved either a long drive (20 miles to the nearest bookstore of anykind, 90 miles to the nearest large bookstore) or waiting days for delivery. I often bought used books on eBay as well as from online sellers of new and used books (through Amazon maybe 50% of the time). We've also read a lot of free books this past month. Our small, local volunteer library never seemed to have many titles that interested us and the waiting list through the bookmobile was definitely a deterent.

We're definitely saving money, a little under 50% (not including shipping). Unfortunately we're not spreading the spending around as much in the local economy. BK (Before Kindle) I would not have subscribed to the daily NY Times, but used to purchase the Sunday edition locally several times a month. I live in a small village in Northern California where a mail subscription to the daily NY Times costs $27/ month - I'm paying $14 to get it on my Kindle.

We've spent $70 on Kindle books this month. DTB versions (mostly paperbacks) would have cost $130, not including shipping costs. There's only been one book that cost more in Kindle version than the DTB (paperback) - but being able to bookmark pages and highlight text was worth the additional cost to me (it's a reference book for some research I'm doing).

My husband and I are sharing our Kindle, so there are times when I'd be reading that I now have to find something else while I wait for "my turn". LOL. MDH was very skeptical about the Kindle, but he's thoroughly hooked.

Since I've done such a good job on saving money, and there are still a few days left in the month, I think I'll just take a peek in the book corner and see what looks appealing :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Still waiting on my Kindle but just had the same thought this morning I can see me getting into trouble with ordering books ;D.

I will have to set a limit myself because its so easy to go overboard.  Luckily we have a half price books so I go there at least once a week and check out what they have and my mom has a local bookstore that I frequent when I visit because she has tons of credit.

I've already got a huge list ready for my Kindle.  I've sent several sample books in already.  I may need to be put on an allowance. :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
Jesslyn said:
Hm....maybe we should start a club.
I thought that what KB was for...kinda a support group and club for those of us that spend every last penny we have on K books and stuff!!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Scrappergirl - get you an Amazon gift card for a certain amount each month and only use that amount for your kindle books - suggested by Vampyre, and others besides myself have tried it - it is working for me!  ;)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Anju said:
Scrappergirl - get you an Amazon gift card for a certain amount each month and only use that amount for your kindle books - suggested by Vampyre, and others besides myself have tried it - it is working for me! ;)
If you buy something non-Kindle, be sure to change your payment method before placing your order, otherwise every purchase will be deducted from your GC.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Well....my K is connected to my parent's card so I have to keep my book purchases reasonable. What reasonable means...I don't know. It just depends on her mood when she opens the bill, but Daddy is there to save me. Daddy's line: "I'd rather her spend money on books than be out dating some guy, right now."

1 - 20 of 29 Posts