Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Kindle has been around for a while now and most people are now familiar with Ebooks and the Kindle readers, but just how has this impacted on authors?

Have any authors on here seen an increase in sales this year and is this due to lower price points or just plain public awareness of the Kindle reader due to Amazons heavy marketing?

So has 2011 been a success for Kindle authors?

Or is there still room for improvement?

I'll be interested to see what our authors and readers think on this topic.

I personally think it has been a good year but I can see the potential for growth to be huge.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I had an enormous increase in sales at the beginning of 2011.  It's fallen off quite a bit now, but I'm still steadily selling a lot more than I was in 2010.  I don't know if this is due to the overall market for ebooks, or because my name has become more familiar to readers.  But either way, I'm happy about it. :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
I had a great month in January after the holidays and February was good also, but then sales slacked off in March. I experimented with some short-term 99 cents sales, and my books got featured on big sites like Daily Cheap Reads and Pixel of Ink. I've sold over 4000 ebooks on Kindle in the past 6 weeks, about 600 of them since I went back to my $2.99 price, so I'm happy with that. One of the novels is selling at a much faster pace than the other, so I'd like to do more promo for the slower-paced book to help it perform at a higher level. 

B&N sales, however, have dropped every month. I'm not sure why that is.  It makes me think that Amazon just does a much better job of giving visibility to books that are getting bought (such as customers who bought this, also bought XXX.)  I'm doing tons of promotions all over the Internet, but I think Amazon recommending your book is the best possible promotion.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I sat on the sidelines for a long time, but in late 2010 I started getting the sense that ebooks were really taking off.  I finally took the plunge, putting my first book up in December.  So far it has sold far better than I ever expected, so personally I would say 2011 has been quite successful! 

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
I just started selling in November, but since then sales have been a consistent curve upward, increasing each month.  Still not anywhere near the heavyweights here, but I'm satisfied with the progress.

G

·
Amazon sales have been great and the huge explosion of people with Kindles has been amazing.

BN has been a constant fight to garner a decent amount of income, and for all the books I've put out and how well they used to do there it's staggering how emaciated and atrophied it's become.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
B&N sales, however, have dropped every month.
This has been my problem. My enormous increase at the beginning of the year was due to B&N-- some of my erotic romance titles really took off over there. Unfortunately, when they did the infamous +1000 shuffle, my sales got hit pretty hard, and I've never recovered from it. I am putting up a couple new books this month, so maybe that'll help... or maybe not. The problem with B&N is that it seems to be so darn random what does well over there and what doesn't.

My sales on Amazon, OTOH, have increased nicely and remained pretty steady.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I am with you on the "B&N sales get worse and worse" side. I've stopped checking my sales there simply because the activity is getting so sad.

Amazon remains strong and constant, which makes me happy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm glad everyone is having a successful year so far by the sounds of it.

I only have one ebook so far and sales have been, well, low lol, but I guess that is due to less than solid promotion by myself.

I am planning to maybe put out a few fiction titles but my problem is I maintain a group of websites, so my time is spread thin.

I guess it really is a case of selecting the stronger producers and focusing on them.

But I aim to put some serious focus into my ebooks from here on in.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
modwitch said:
I think it's been a very good year. However, I think that the market for most indie authors is not growing as fast as the market for ebooks in general, or ereaders.

I read something recently that said 61% of ebooks are bought by 18% of ebook readers. That's probably similar to paper books - there are avid readers who consume a lot of books, and then a lot of less frequent readers.

My guess - most avid readers were the early adopters of ereaders, and owned them before this year. So I'd guess that who we're adding now, especially as ereaders get cheaper, are a lot of people buying them who read <2 books a month. I'd argue that someone who reads only a couple of books a month is less likely to beyond a) the bestseller lists, and b) authors they already know, for their next book to read.

Most indie authors are mid-list at best and unknown names, so I'm guessing our best audience is the avid readers - people who owned ereaders before this year. The current growth is coming from readers less likely to gravitate to our books (so it would be boosting sales of bestselling ebooks, and total ebook sales volume, but not mid-list and down authors). I might well be completely wrong, however :). And owning an ereader might create more avid readers, which can only be good for all of us.
Modwitch, you always have a clear and sensible insight into these things. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
140 Posts
modwitch said:
My guess - most avid readers were the early adopters of ereaders, and owned them before this year.
I'm obviously a more recent addition to these boards and I have zero data to back this up, but:

I think there are a number of avid readers who have been slow to adopt an ereader. I, for one, have already read 15 books this year. That's not as many as a number of you, I'm sure, but it's still a lot. I didn't get a Kindle until this past Christmas as a gift. If I hadn't received it as a gift, I still wouldn't have bought one. Why? Because I love books and (although I like gadgets, too) I have a To Be Read pile of physical books that I decided I would finish before I got an ereader. It's going to take me the better part of a year or two to make it through my current TBR pile.

Here's the thing, though: when I got a Kindle and read a book on it in January (because you have to make sure it works, right?), I told my family and friends how much I loved reading on it. Now my mom has one. Two members of my critique group, after playing with mine, have one. They're all avid readers.

Although many of you will probably understand when I say that I've purchased a few books on my Kindle that I already had in paperback (after all, my eyesight is important, and the paperback words are kind of small, right? Right?), the Kindle really hasn't reached a saturation point where even avid readers have all been exposed personally to them. You also will have a few people that will be slow to adopt because they love the weight of books and the feel of the paper. They can't imagine reading out of a gadget, yet. Eventually they'll learn, I think.

Getting back on topic, I wonder if the slowdown that some of you are seeing isn't perhaps one of two things, or a combination of both: 1. It's summer and perhaps fewer books are sold during the summer, and 2. a number of Kindle readers have built up a sizeable To Be Read pile on their Kindle's already, and they may be waiting until they've gone through those until they make more impulse purchases. That wouldn't be me, though. No, sir. I don't already have over a dozen more books to read on my Kindle, despite still not having made it through my physical To Be Read piles.

(And if I do, I can honestly say I blame all of you, since I've added many of the new titles since I joined this board.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fair comments, I think that the Kindle market is no where near its peak yet, in fact I think its still in its infancy at best.

Everyone falls over themselves to have the latest cellphone or gaming console, because its the norm.

Kindle, despite its great success, is still not considered the normal way to read books by a vast percentage of the population.

Even an increase of a percent or two of the reading population would equal millions of potential readers, and therefore buyers of Kindle books.

I personally think that we are only just starting to climb the mountain of potential with regards to Kindle ebooks.

I would safely bet that the future is going to be in our favor as Kindle authors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts