Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Entries are now being taken for the Best Indie Book Award. Giving out award trophies. Seven categories accepted. Like other contests there is an entry fee. It's one of the lowest I've seen though. $30.

Romance
Science-Fiction
Action/Adventure
Mystery/Suspense/Thriller
Young Adult
Mainstream/General Fiction
Non-Fiction

http://bestindiebookstore.com/best-indie-book-award/

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I don't intend to enter, but maybe to be fair we should remember that most such contests up to and including the Pulitzer require an entrance fee.  That leaves in doubt that most of them are worth the fee involved.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, they do charge. Of course they are giving out award trophies. I am surprised at the negativity, many authors have paid $75 for award contests. The Romance Writers of America offers two awards each year. The entry fee is $50 per book entered. The Rita and the Golden Heart are among the most coveted awards for romance authors. Entry fees are common in writing contests and do not detract from the seriousness of the contest nor does it detract from the veracity of the contest. Hey, if you want to enter Amazon's contest, why not? But you could still enter others.

Thanks, JRTomlin, for that note.
we should remember that most such contests up to and including the Pulitzer require an entrance fee.
Very few noteworthy awards are free to enter.

Winning awards is good for book sales from what I've seen.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Yep, most award contests charge an entry fee. I don't know anything about bestindiebookstore.com, so I can't say if it's worth it or not. It's true RWA does charge for their contest, but RWA is a non profit professional organization, and this is a fundraiser for them. Plus the Rita and the Golden Heart come with a lot of prestige and recognition. I'm not at all sure what you get out of this award, other than the trophy and the right to say Award Winning Author. For some people that might be enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.