Kindle Forum banner
121 - 140 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
PU leather: A faux leather, manufactured from waste leather core, glued and coated with a poly leather look. I've had it on office chairs - it does NOT last. It wears easily and eventually peels.

HAHA - just as as aside, if you never touch it, it lasts forever.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
My comments regarding PU "leather" are in the context of this case which I understood to be under discussion.

As far as the Amazon branded case, it is likely bonded leather (ground up bits, mixed with a binder) and stamped with a texture to look like leather. This is typical of automobile "leather" dashes.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My comments regarding PU "leather" are in the context of this case which I understood to be under discussion.

As far as the Amazon branded case, it is likely bonded leather (ground up bits, mixed with a binder) and stamped with a texture to look like leather. This is typical of automobile "leather" dashes.
Yes, pretty much as I stated with different words ... it's almost like composite leather, with a smoother cover - none of these items that say leather today are really split cowhide, like the old days. Even much of our exterior wood, decking etc, is ground up wood and polymers, glue, bonding agent and manufactured to look like wood. In some cases, like decks and covers, it might last forever - in others, like office chairs, it won't - even though it's called the same product. :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Still sitting here hoping for an updated delivery, which is remainind at Dec 14. I am beginning to think a shipmend is on a container on a ship sitting somewhere off the west coast, waiting to be unloaded. Amazon is still showing the 8gb model in stock.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Still sitting here hoping for an updated delivery, which is remainind at Dec 14. I am beginning to think a shipmend is on a container on a ship sitting somewhere off the west coast, waiting to be unloaded. Amazon is still showing the 8gb model in stock.
I caved, cancelled the 32 gb PW that wasn’t going to arrive until the end of December and ordered the 8 gb instead. It’ll arrive this Tuesday.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I caved, cancelled the 32 gb PW that wasn’t going to arrive until the end of December and ordered the 8 gb instead. It’ll arrive this Tuesday.
Good luck, I still have my older paperwhite. I seem to have better luck with a device that has more memory or storage so I'm holding out. I still wonder why they announce a release date then just have limited quantities available.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Finally got the update to the new interface on my PW 2021... also got my MoKo case delivered the other day. This is the indigo origami one, not the black one that I had cancelled. My Merlot case is still scheduled to arrive later this month. Hasn't shipped yet so maybe I can cancel it if I hurry.... haven't decided yet though. It was part of the discounted bundle though so may not be able to cancel anyway but we'll see.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
Finally got the update to the new interface on my PW 2021... also got my MoKo case delivered the other day. This is the indigo origami one, not the black one that I had cancelled. My Merlot case is still scheduled to arrive later this month. Hasn't shipped yet so maybe I can cancel it if I hurry.... haven't decided yet though. It was part of the discounted bundle though so may not be able to cancel anyway but we'll see.

I suspect if it was part of a bundle you will not be able to cancel unless you cancel the entire bundle. Good luck!

·
6,036 Posts
I decided I couldn't wait any longer and ordered a cover - the brand is 'Dadanism' which I've not come across before, but it has good reviews and at half the cost of the official "leather" cover I figured it was worth a risk.

Still no sign of any pending charges on my credit card or anything in MYC&D.

TWO days to go!

(Is it just me or does time get slower the closer you get to delivery?)

·
Registered
257 Posts
I agree, regarding the leather cover. It’s thin and the edges are pressed together rather than stitched like my eight year old cover that still looks like brand new. I’ve ordered a cork cover, hoping it’s more substantial.
Who knows what, all of the real(genuine) leather cases have what is basically a painted on finish and nothing wrong with that. My dad bought me a pair of two tone shoes probably over 60 years ago, and a young teenager could or would not keep the white part clean so he got a bottle of leather finish, which was basically a paint and refinished them. It held up and I wore the shoes a year or so until I either wore them out or outgrew them. There is also a producted called reclaimed leather, where used leather or scraps is ground up and then bonded together and painted. We had some furniture redone with it, the underlying bonded leather held up very well, painted finish as soon as it got a scratch would start peeling.

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·

I'd ask. All they can do is say, 'no'. I mean, you bought it expecting to get the case around the same time as the kindle and now it's way delayed.

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
I decided I couldn't wait any longer and ordered a cover - the brand is 'Dadanism' which I've not come across before, but it has good reviews and at half the cost of the official "leather" cover I figured it was worth a risk.

Still no sign of any pending charges on my credit card or anything in MYC&D.

TWO days to go!

(Is it just me or does time get slower the closer you get to delivery?)

Yes. It definitely does seem to drag as delivery day gets closer.

I've not heard of that brand of case either; let us know how you like it. :)

121 - 140 of 203 Posts