Kindle Forum banner
141 - 160 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
My Signature Paperwhite is in the process of updating, finally. Got notice that my cork cover is due to show up tomorrow, much better than the Nov 30th date I had. We'll see how I like it with that cover, I've gotten used to reading it with just the back silicon cover, and liked it better than the cover I picked up when I found out the cork cover would be delayed.

·
6,036 Posts
So my cover has arrived and it looks quite nice - I'll find out tomorrow how good the fit is.

My PW Sig is showing delivery tomorrow by 10pm though in reality it has yet to be dispatched. Nor is it listed yet in MYC&D. The only sign of movement is a pending charge on my credit card. (Not that I'm obsessively checking all these things of course! :giggle:).

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Isn't it frustrating? Consider me being impatient on your behalf. :D

But what it means is that it's probably in a warehouse somewhere pretty near your city. And likely has been for a month. If they billed you, you KNOW it'll come. :) I don't think it showed up for me in MYC&D until it moved to 'shipped' and a tracking number was assigned.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Got my Merlot "leather" case yesterday but didn't get to the package till today. I don't know why the reviews were so negative though... I actually like it alot! Its very basic. Not a stand or anything, but seems like it will protect the kindle.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
6,036 Posts
My new PW Sig arrived about an hour ago and so far I am really pleased with it. :)

I had to wait till after 4.00pm for it to arrive and I practically snatched it out of the guy's hands as he almost dropped it while fumbling with his scanner trying to record the delivery. :eek:

I like the new size - it gives you a bigger screen without being too awkward to hold or too heavy - in fact it doesn't seem noticeably any heavier than my Voyage or PW4.

The text seems crisp enough - which was one thing I was worried about after my disappointment with the PW4 - though possibly still a tad less so than my Voyage. But the 'warmth' feature (which I didn't think I would like or use) on a lowish setting does somehow seem to improve the contrast to a point where I'm happy. I guess all our eyes are different and it's just about finding the right balance to suit yourself.

I plugged it in to charge while I was playing around with it and downloading books etc and as soon as I did, it updated to the latest software.

The cover I received the other day fits well and has a nice feel when handling it, but after some reflection I've decided I don't like the colour/design as much as I thought I did when viewing it on the website, so I'm going to return it. The new one should come tomorrow.

I'm off to play some more with my new toy!

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Got my Merlot "leather" case yesterday but didn't get to the package till today. I don't know why the reviews were so negative though... I actually like it alot! Its very basic. Not a stand or anything, but seems like it will protect the kindle.

That's good to know .... it looks nice. But are you saying you've decided to send this back and go with a different 3rd party one?

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
My new PW Sig arrived about an hour ago and so far I am really pleased with it. :)

I had to wait till after 4.00pm for it to arrive and I practically snatched it out of the guy's hands as he almost dropped it while fumbling with his scanner trying to record the delivery. :eek:

I like the new size - it gives you a bigger screen without being too awkward to hold or too heavy - in fact it doesn't seem noticeably any heavier than my Voyage or PW4.

The text seems crisp enough - which was one thing I was worried about after my disappointment with the PW4 - though possibly still a tad less so than my Voyage. But the 'warmth' feature (which I didn't think I would like or use) on a lowish setting does somehow seem to improve the contrast to a point where I'm happy. I guess all our eyes are different and it's just about finding the right balance to suit yourself.

I plugged it in to charge while I was playing around with it and downloading books etc and as soon as I did, it updated to the latest software.

The cover I received the other day fits well and has a nice feel when handling it, but after some reflection I've decided I don't like the colour/design as much as I thought I did when viewing it on the website, so I'm going to return it. The new one should come tomorrow.

I'm off to play some more with my new toy!

Glad you like it! I would agree it's not appreciably heavier -- I only notice it if I compare directly to my Voyage -- and it's a nicer form factor than the Oasis for me with the larger screen.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's good to know .... it looks nice. But are you saying you've decided to send this back and go with a different 3rd party one?
No, I think I will keep all three of the cases I got... but thats it. No more!

What I was saying was that the package was delivered Wednesday but I didn't get around to actually picking it up from my building's package room until Thursday...

I'm sufficiently pleased with all three cases though, and the third party ones were comparatively inexpensive. I have to admit though, I'm leaning toward the origami MoKo case as my main case that I use most often. The official Merlot one is nice but I kind of like the stand feature on the MoKo.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I bought the new Paperwhite as part of the kids' bundle, because I like the cover - the bundle costs $20 more than the standard new Paperwhite. But I just discovered today that the kindle in the kids' bundle does not have special offers, which is a $20 value. So basically you get the cover, a 2-year no-worried warranty (if it breaks for any reason, they'll replace it) and a year of Amazon Kids+ (which actually isn't of much interest to me) for free.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I bought the new Paperwhite as part of the kids' bundle, because I like the cover - the bundle costs $20 more than the standard new Paperwhite. But I just discovered today that the kindle in the kids' bundle does not have special offers, which is a $20 value. So basically you get the cover, a 2-year no-worried warranty (if it breaks for any reason, they'll replace it) and a year of Amazon Kids+ (which actually isn't of much interest to me) for free.
I seriously did not need to know all this! discount + gc value knocks a lot off the price.
Now I'm tempted to trade in my old PW -- I like the cover too! I like the green one, which did you choose?

You never know what kids' books you might like to look at, e.g. Harry Potter (which I never got into but still....).
Amusing that one of the Q/A's said you could also read adult books on it. :)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I seriously did not need to know all this! discount + gc value knocks a lot off the price.
Now I'm tempted to trade in my old PW -- I like the cover too! I like the green one, which did you choose?

You never know what kids' books you might like to look at, e.g. Harry Potter (which I never got into but still....).
Amusing that one of the Q/A's said you could also read adult books on it. :)
Yes, I got the green cover - I like that one, and the lime green edging while reading is cute, in my opinion.

You can totally remove the Kids Kindle experience, but I've read that you still have to go through the steps of setting it up, when you first turn it on, then later you can remove it, and the kid profile, etc.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Well despite my best efforts, my new Kindle arrived last week when we were at the beach.
We got home Sunday and I immediately plugged it in while we worked on unloading and unpacking. I had it set up before bedtime and read about an hour. I have used it an hour or two each day since then and I still have about half the battery. Light level varies from 2-12 and warmth is on 7.
I like the size. It is easy to hold and fits a good amount of text on the screen. The finish is very prone to picking up fingerprints - DecalGirl says they should have skins for it available shortly. Since I am reading without a case and just using a sleeve for transport, the back is a mess of fingerprints.
It was much nicer before it picked up the stupid interface update. Even on this screen the library view only shows 5 titles! That is ridiculous. I hate the "open the menu at the top and then open it again to change the lighting." I also want a Home option that takes me to the beginning or page 1 of my library. This returning to where you were before you opened a book is strange and it takes too much time to remember that I have to actually back up to get to the beginning. There was nothing wrong with how it worked - why mess with it? Sorry - rant over.
I would get one of these for my mom in a heartbeat if they offered a cellular version. She does not have wifi and is not interested in learning how to use her cell phone as a hot spot.
Unfortunately it also means that if they update the Oasis with USB-C, I will be buying another Kindle (shocked gasps!)...

·
6,036 Posts
I agree, not being able to hit the 'home' button to go to the beginning of your library list is irritating. It's one of those things that you might not have missed if you'd never had it but, as you say, why change something that worked perfectly well and everyone was used to.

Also, yes, having all that extra screen space and still only having 5 items to a page is pretty strange. I suppose it does mean that the collection and book titles are nice and large but accessibility obviously isn't the reason for it or else the menus wouldn't still be in that new sized, ridiculously small text.

141 - 160 of 203 Posts