Kindle Forum banner
161 - 180 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
I finally had to charge mine again this weekend. So for me it lasted a week of pretty darn heavy use - I'm impressed. It also seems to charge pretty quickly, but I am using my high-capacity charger that I use for my Dell laptop and my Nintendo Switch.
It definitely seems to be more of a fingerprint magnet than my other devices. I'm not sure whether it's annoying enough to put a screen protector on it (I don't like them on Kindles for some reason) or just clean it more frequently.

·
6,036 Posts
Looks like the kids version is on an early Black Friday sale for $115 in the US
The Kids edition of the 6" PW is also on sale in the UK - £59.99.

The new 6.8" PW is also on sale for £104.99 without ads (or £114.99 with ads) saving £25. The Kids edition is also £114.99. The new PW Sig is NOT on sale so far but does now have the option to pay over three months.

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
I'm not 100% sure any of the kindles are 'on sale' just now ... at least, I'm not seeing anything on the US site that makes me think the prices are anything but the regular prices. Still, it could happen.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Well apparently I got TWO different emails about the KU offer for my new Kindle. One was on October 28th and one on November 14th (the day I turned it on). I could not use the link in the second email to redeem the offer. But when I went back to the original email it let me add the 4 months to my existing subscription.
I ended up calling Amazon before I figured it out and got a person in KINDLE SUPPORT. So I also mentioned my frustration with the new software update. She was amazed at how many books are in my library (closing in on 7,000 now).

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
I'm not 100% sure any of the kindles are 'on sale' just now ... at least, I'm not seeing anything on the US site that makes me think the prices are anything but the regular prices. Still, it could happen.
Early Black Friday deals at Amazon include some of the Kindles:
Looks like the Basic, the kid's version of the Basic, and the kid's version of the new Paperwhite. I think I saw covers earlier today too., but I am happy with using a sleeve for now.

I also saw some of them listed at Best Buy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Early Black Friday deals at Amazon include some of the Kindles:
Looks like the Basic, the kid's version of the Basic, and the kid's version of the new Paperwhite. I think I saw covers earlier today too., but I am happy with using a sleeve for now.

I also saw some of them listed at Best Buy.
yep, the new kids version of the paperwhite is currently on sale for $115, usually $160. Same as the paperwhite, but is ad free, comes with a cover and has a two year warranty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok, so question for those of you with experience with the newer kindles with dark mode. I picked up one of the 2021 kids PW at Best Buy Sunday, but it had a “hot pixel” that showed up as a bright white dot all the time. No biggie, nothings perfect. Yesterday I exchanged it for another. Good news, no white dots.

Today I noticed in dark mode that the screen looks normal viewed straight on, but if I tilt it, I see hundreds of white dots all over. They aren’t brighter than the rest of the screen, it almost looks like pixels not turning on? It does not seem to be dependent upon brightness level, though it’s easier to see at full brightness. Even in normal mode, I can see white dots in the dark areas of things like the icons.

I’ve tried to show it in the pics, one straight on which is ok and the angle one (the specks aren’t dust, that’s the dots I’m talking about), but it’s really hard to photograph.

I doubt I’ll use dark mode, so I’m mainly asking to see if this is normal with the newer screens, or if this is a defect I should return. I basically don’t want to have an issue after the return window has closed. But I don’t want to waste time and kindles on a return if this is how they all are.

Font Screenshot Technology Electronic device Darkness

Gadget Communication Device Font Material property Display device

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
Have only rarely used dark mode and when I did I didn't notice any specks. I do see what you mean in the picture.

I just checked my PW. Can't say for sure I see the same thing on mine ... but also can't say for sure I don't. So ...... sorry. Not much help. :(

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Ok, I confess to not reading everything. I just ordered the new Kids PW trading in my PW4 so I'm going up from 6" to 6.8" screen. On sale for $115 with 20% trade in $23 and $30 Amazon gift card is $62 final cost and it is Amazon Smile eligible so my chosen organization gets 0.5%, a whopping 31 cents. But it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ok, so question for those of you with experience with the newer kindles with dark mode. I picked up one of the 2021 kids PW at Best Buy Sunday, but it had a “hot pixel” that showed up as a bright white dot all the time. No biggie, nothings perfect. Yesterday I exchanged it for another. Good news, no white dots.

Today I noticed in dark mode that the screen looks normal viewed straight on, but if I tilt it, I see hundreds of white dots all over. They aren’t brighter than the rest of the screen, it almost looks like pixels not turning on? It does not seem to be dependent upon brightness level, though it’s easier to see at full brightness. Even in normal mode, I can see white dots in the dark areas of things like the icons.

I’ve tried to show it in the pics, one straight on which is ok and the angle one (the specks aren’t dust, that’s the dots I’m talking about), but it’s really hard to photograph.

I doubt I’ll use dark mode, so I’m mainly asking to see if this is normal with the newer screens, or if this is a defect I should return. I basically don’t want to have an issue after the return window has closed. But I don’t want to waste time and kindles on a return if this is how they all are.

View attachment 18409
View attachment 18408
I see what you’re talking about in the picture… I tried dark mode on my PW and I think it does the same thing but it’s hard to tell because I’m in a semi-dark environment right now, but I think I see it…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
6,036 Posts

It's not something I use but I gave it a try on my PW Sig. If I move it around at different angles I can sort of see what you mean, though it doesn't seem as noticeable as on your pics. If I wasn't looking for it, I doubt I would notice anything.

But, as Andra said, the settings available with the light and warmth options mean that I can comfortably read in any light conditions anyway without using the dark mode, so it's unlikely I'll ever use it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The new 8gb PW is on sale for $105 for Black Friday.
Oasis is $175.
OTOH if you have a trade-in the PW Kids version is very little more & includes a cover & no-ads.
(still seeing if I can resist....)

edit-- now it looks like you don't get the discount until after they get the trade-in; and by then it'll be long after the sale is over. That changes the whole calculation!
Last time I did a trade-in, I got the discount+gift-card-values applied to the device I ordered at the same time.
Geez.

161 - 180 of 203 Posts