Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Oh, yeah. Love it, love it, love it. What I really love is that it's so easy to use. It's idiot proof. I originally only bought it because I needed something to make epubs easier create, but I love it for so many other reasons.

And, fwiw, I've hit upon a way to make things even easier. Originally, when I saved the Vellum file, I thought that I could only save it in one incarnation - say "Google." So, the Vellum file would have all the Google links, but none of the others. I've fixed that problem, and now I duplicate each Vellum file and name them "Amazon," "Kobo," etc. That will save a ton of time when I have to update the links for each of my books in the future.

Another tip - if you upload to iTunes, then they won't accept a file that has untitled chapters. That becomes an issue if you have some chapters which are named and some which aren't. Which I had, because I my books tend to be in alternating POVs, so some chapters had the name of the POV, others had no name at all. iTunes kicked it out for that reason. So, I had to manually put in "chapter 2, chapter 3, etc." That was a bit of a pain, and the one thing that I wish they would work on, but it's an easy enough fix for me. But, if you don't label any chapter, then Vellum automatically populates the list for you, so no problem.

But, yeah, best.investment.of.my.life. Well, second best, after my Mac. Once you go Mac, you never go back. :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
I just used it for my new release and am completely in love. I think it would be nice to be able to customise things a little more, but it's a quick and easy solution to import my final word doc, select the styles and add in the scene separators.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I looked it up and it was going on my Christmas list, so to speak, until I saw that it was Mac only. ;.; Heart broken. Torn asunder. Is there a Windows version anywhere?

·
Registered
454 Posts
How does the page count work for their ePub edition? Is it set in stone as Amazon always seem to underestimate mine by about 20%

·
Registered
190 Posts
carinasanfey said:
Sadly, no. :( And I think I remember reading somewhere that the creators had no plans to release a Windows version.
Apple ruins everything I love. D:

·
Registered
669 Posts
KaiW said:
How does the page count work for their ePub edition? Is it set in stone as Amazon always seem to underestimate mine by about 20%
I think Amazon underestimate everything! Mine are never right until I put the paperback up and they're linked.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It was this board that got me into Vellum. I've said it before but I love it to bits. Can't imagine how or why I lived without it. And last I checked it's price was $100 less than I paid. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
What exactly can you do with Vellum? There's just not a lot of info on the site describing what all you can do. Do you just purchase the $199.99 unlimited version?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Adam Croft said:
Is it worth it if I already use Scrivener? Will it give me anything more? Will it even work with books I've written using Scrivener?

It looks good, but it's a LOT of money to spend. Convince me ;)
There's an official Vellum thread around here somewhere. Ask on there, and the Vellum team will answer. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
LadyStarlight said:
What exactly can you do with Vellum? There's just not a lot of info on the site describing what all you can do. Do you just purchase the $199.99 unlimited version?
I wondered that as well. I haven't bought it but I did download it and they have a sample book you can play around with to see what it can do. I think it was, "The Invisible Man". I agree they should make it clear that you CAN see what it does before you buy it.
Download it and see for yourself!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts