Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
It looks like you're using Wordpress.com as opposed to Wordpress.org, right? If so, you may not be able to change the font. Most of the themes are not customizable, or are only minimally so.

If you use Wordpress.org to host a Wordpress site through a third party hosting service, you can edit the CSS to your heart's content and fully customize pretty much everything. The downside is it may decrease your discoverability somewhat, as your posts won't automatically show up in the Wordpress reader.

Here's a nice post comparing the two pretty thoroughly.

Edit: I see from your post that Wordpress will let you pay them to customize as well. My 2 cents, if someone is going to shell out money either way, I'd say just go with Wordpress.org for complete control. Depending on budget of course and I don't know how much Wordpress.com is charging for premium services. But there are a lot of pretty affordable hosting services.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
If you're on Wordpress.com for now why not try changing your theme to one that lets you have smaller fonts? There are quite a lot to choose from. I used Pilcrow, for example, which is quite customisable compared to others.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
No problem. :) I agree with this:

Jen Rasmussen said:
Edit: I see from your post that Wordpress will let you pay them to customize as well. My 2 cents, if someone is going to shell out money either way, I'd say just go with Wordpress.org for complete control.
It can be a little bit of a faff to set up a hosted site, but once you're up and running on wordpress.org it's not really any more difficult to make changes than it is on wordpress.com, AND you can get lots of nice plugins to customise your site, which you can't with wordpress.com. And I say this as someone who can't even spell hltm.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
It's a really good way of setting up a website quickly if you're not an expert and don't want to think too hard about it. Then you can tinker with it afterwards to your own liking.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Sorry to steal your thunder carinasanfey
I have a WP query too I have my author site hosted by a third party (Go Daddy) the only anoying thing i've found is I can't seem to put pages underneath the catergory I want, for example in News I wrote a page about my upcoming new release. I dragged the page slightly to the right so it would appear in the News dropdown...arrrrggghhhh it showed up under the catergory tabs as a full heading and the words, it's happened a few times even when I've used a blogpost format, not sure what to do.
Anyway thanks for letting my trample on your space Carina, if you're looking to create your own logo header this is a fab site that lets you create in different fonts and styles (stone, metal etc) you just copy and paste the HTML into your theme header(or anywhere you want the font)
http://cooltext.com
Hope that makes up for the intrusion ;D

·
Registered
386 Posts
WARNING! Techie answer here....

Most themes will have a place where you can put in custom CSS. If you find this you can add:

p {
    font-size: 16px;
}

Change the '16px' to what ever size looks good. I've checked it on your site so it should work.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
If this will help, I show how you set up a wordpress on like Hostgator etc. how EASY it is with any host provider's quick install. I also show some plugins I use because I write in wordpress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88Yt_Y8SpxI

I can answer any quesitons you have :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
carinasanfey said:
Aaah jaysus howaya! I have to admit my first reaction when I saw that I had a visitor from Ireland on my website was, "Feck. Is that my Mam?"
Nice to meet another Dub! We get everywhere.

BTW, You just got another sale, Hotel Caruso, looking forward to reading it. ;D

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
CSS customisation is a paid for upgrade. I used to pay the premium all-in fee for WordPress.com, but now I'm using the Manchester-based Smart Host which gives unlimited space and domains for £2.99 per month. It also used C-Panel from which you can point and click to install wordpress.org or a host of other systems. I am transfering my sites over to Drupal to get better control. Text editing on Drupal is not wonderful, although I can switch to full html as opposed to the limited set. The reason that the html options are limited is that full access to html is a security risk and WordPress.com would not want that on their servers.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Michael J Elliott said:
I can't seem to put pages underneath the catergory I want, for example in News I wrote a page about my upcoming new release. I dragged the page slightly to the right so it would appear in the News dropdown...arrrrggghhhh it showed up under the catergory tabs as a full heading and the words, it's happened a few times even when I've used a blogpost format, not sure what to do.
You may have done all this already, but just in case--make sure your new release announcement is indeed a page, not a post. Then when you edit the page, there is a box called Page Attributes on the right hand side. There's a drop down menu in that box called Parent. Make sure that's set to your News page. As long as you have the parent set up correctly, the new release page should automatically show up as a subcategory of news on your navigation bar. But you can also make changes to the navigation bar by going to Appearance, Menus in your dashboard.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Jen Rasmussen said:
You may have done all this already, but just in case--make sure your new release announcement is indeed a page, not a post. Then when you edit the page, there is a box called Page Attributes on the right hand side. There's a drop down menu in that box called Parent. Make sure that's set to your News page. As long as you have the parent set up correctly, the new release page should automatically show up as a subcategory of news on your navigation bar. But you can also make changes to the navigation bar by going to Appearance, Menus in your dashboard.
Thank you Jen
You've saved me from pulling out what little hair I have left lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts