Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Jonathan C. Gillespie said:
I'm not getting anywhere near a 5ft 8in tall ant. Unless I have a flamethrower. (Kids, you can thank "Them" for that valuable tidbit)
In the Capital Wasteland, a flamethrower won't save you. Those ants fire back...

·
Registered
473 Posts
Forgive, but I used to work with Microsoft on their search engines. :) They'll generally go with the most popular answers, because they can't figure out if you mean an actual ant, or Ant depending on how you word it. (Because how often do people look up how big an ant is vs. how tall Ant is? ... Society today....) They want to try to give the most likely answer at the top. How tall an ant is... It's too in line with "How tall is Ant" and the algorithm is looking at Ant and tall, as we ask how tall people are in general.

Ant and Dec are an English comedy duo. http://www.officialantanddec.com/home

It's like someone asking how much is an apple on the internet, and the most popular thing they're actually looking for would be an Apple computer, so the shopping prices for the latest Apple computers would be at the top, with probably a couple of articles buried way down for the prices of apples in different places.

How you word things in search engines will be important for research. :) Your question was answered better by looking up how *big* an ant is.

First answer: Ants are skinny insects. Like their relatives the wasps, they have a narrow connection between their abdomen and thorax. They have chewing mouthparts, and their antennae are bent in the middle. Some ant species are very tiny (1-2mm long), but some tropical species are very large (30 mm).

The follow up articles were about ants and nothing about Ant. :)

Although it is funny what Google, Bing, and Yahoo will come up with when doing research. The first TWO answers on Bing were actually about ants with your question, while a couple of follow ups were about Ant. So that made for a better result, actually, in case you were meaning either one. Google's answers to that query are... stranger. Even ones about ants are actually Yahoo Answers answering questions like: If an ant were five foot, how tall would I be compared to it?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I came here expecting to read a story about how you Googled for something dodgy, then MI5 showed up to haul you away, and now it's two years later and you managed to dig your way out of prison using a cunning tool made of turnips and toothbrushes.

But you threw in a cool plot twist. I did not see the ant thing coming at all.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Factoids: There are estimated to be 100 trillion ants on earth, with a total weight matching that of humanity.

I know I also read (somewhere) that the U.S. Army used to analyze them to try and gain new organizational and logistics principles.

·
Registered
294 Posts
SevenDays said:
I came here expecting to read a story about how you Googled for something dodgy, then MI5 showed up to haul you away, and now it's two years later and you managed to dig your way out of prison using a cunning tool made of turnips and toothbrushes.

But you threw in a cool plot twist. I did not see the ant thing coming at all.
funniest thing I've read all week. I swear, I come here for the laughs.

G

·
KelliWolfe said:
<3 Best game ever. *counting the days to E3 press event*
If they don't announce a new Fallout, I will cry.

I actually just started replaying 3 because I was missing Three Dog lol. My game is so heavily modded these days that it is practically a different game.

For the life of me, I can never finish the game evil. I tried once and even blew up Megaton, but then I found Moira as a perky ghoul and felt...horrible. Overwhelming guilt...despite the fact that I am convinced she was actually trying to kill me with her research.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Also 5'8" : Adam Ant.

I think Google got it right.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts