Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever thought about what it would be like to travel back to Jane Austen's time in England? Obviously, I have -- to the extent that I wrote a book about it! ;D

As You Wish was originally released as part of Berkley/Jove's Time Passages romance line. Now, it's available on Kindle as an indie: link in my signature below. Here's a blurb:

While touring an English estate, American Leah Cantrell finds an antique coin in a spring and tosses it back, casually wishing she knew who originally made a wish with it. The next thing she knows, she slips into the water and finds herself drowning in an abyss. In 1815, David Traymore, illegitimate son of the Marquess of Solebury, saves Leah from drowning on his father's property. In his view, she's dressed scantily, speaks with a strange accent and talks a lot of nonsense. Is this mysterious woman a madwoman, a French spy, the victim of a crime … or the answer to his wish?

You can read the first two chapters on my blog, also linked in my signature below -- just click on the "As You Wish" tab at the top of the Home page and scroll down to the web reader.

Thanks so much for considering my book!

If anyone has questions or comments, please do post! (Anyone have thoughts on why Regency-era heroes appeal to modern women? I think part of it is because we want to break down their reserve, but I'm curious about what you think.)

Jen

·
Super Moderator
67,453 Posts
Welcome to KindleBoards, Jennifer, and congratulations on your book!

Please note that KindleBoards is a Readers and Kindle Fan forum. Authors are always welcome but self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed here in the Book Bazaar.

A brief recap of our rules follows: (Note that this doesn't mean you've done anything wrong; we just want you to have a ready reference. :) )

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information. You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days. Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link. Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows. This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles! Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post. For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum. Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Oh, and one more thing: be sure to check out the index threads at the top of the Book Bazaar. . . follow the directions there to be listed. :)

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards! Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thought I'd post a brief excerpt from As You Wish, since snippets are usually more fun to read than descriptions (I think!):

David took her elbow and steered her across the dusty drive toward the manor. When she recognized the door as the main entrance, she gulped down another rush of misgivings. "I could have sworn this driveway was paved." She tried to shake off the eerie feeling, telling herself she must have been mistaken.

He ignored her comment and led her up three polished marble steps, which Leah knew had been cracked and stained earlier. Another costumed man opened the double doors for them, and they stepped inside the house...only the shabby interior she'd seen an hour or so ago had somehow transformed into a beautifully maintained decor.

She slapped her hands over her eyes, then uncovered them again, but the dreamlike grandeur was still there. Instead of the faded wallpaper she'd seen before, intricately carved panels lined the hall. While the walls had been practically bare earlier, they now displayed a stunning selection of paintings. And the ragged, garish red rug she remembered had been replaced by an elaborate paisley carpet in rich, dark tones.

"Oh, my God." She closed her eyes again. "What is wrong with me?"

A feminine voice broke into her thoughts. "What has happened, David? Who is this young lady?"

"You will hardly credit the story when I tell you, Phoebe. It seems I have rescued a helpless maiden from drowning."
You can also read the first two chapters on my blog, linked in my signature. Just click on the As You Wish tab at the top of the home page and scroll down to the reader.

Thanks for reading!
Jen

·
Registered
150 Posts
jennifermalin said:
If anyone has questions or comments, please do post! (Anyone have thoughts on why Regency-era heroes appeal to modern women? I think part of it is because we want to break down their reserve, but I'm curious about what you think.)

Jen
My half-serious answer is that we're all rather enamoured with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy in what is (in my opinion) the best tv/film adaptation of Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice.

But perhaps I speak only for myself. :)

I read the first two chapters of As You Wish at your blog and promptly purchased it. I look forward to finishing it. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Asphodel, I'm sure you're not the only one attracted to the Regency because of Colin Firth's Mr Darcy. I read Pride and Prejudice before I saw the adaption with him in it, and when I first saw him, I thought, "He doesn't look like I pictured Mr. Darcy" -- but he soon won me over! :D I agree with you that it's the best adaptation of the book.

Thanks so much for checking out As You Wish. I hope it lives up to your expectations!

Jen

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ever tossed a coin in a well and made a wish (the way my character Leah does -- accidentally -- in As You Wish)? The custom originates in pagan beliefs about appeasing water deities. That's why achaeologists often find hordes of treasures on riverbeds under the sites of bridges near ancient settlements. The finds from under the old Roman bridge at Trier in Germany are a good example.

Our ancestors also believed that springs had healing powers, and their ancient sacred springs evolved into the holy wells of today. In fact, wells are so closely connected with healing in our historic psyche that the words hole, holy and heal all derive from the same etymological root.

More on sacred waters on my blog this week (link in my sig), if you're into that kinda thing. :D

Jen

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What could be cooler that being mentioned on Nerdist.com? I'm so excited that As You Wish was featured in this "More Writers You Might Like" post: http://www.nerdist.com/2011/07/more-writers-you-might-like/

There are also books from several other "nerdy" authors in sub-genres ranging from paranormal to how-to, to … well, back to paranormal. : ) So, if that's your type of thing, please check it out!

Jen

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Over the last few months, I finally got around to joining the party and binging on "Downton Abbey." At the same time, I happened to be editing my time-travel As You Wish for a new print version, so I spent a weird couple of weeks immersed in two period dramas set in England, and it struck me how much the houses in both of them dominate the storylines. Of course, there's also an estate/inheritance theme in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, but the house isn't really important in that work.

Anyway, a few thoughts on the topic on my blog here: http://www.jenmalin.com/archives/1352

Please stop by and comment if you have a moment!

Jen

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Part of the romance of the English Regency lies in the elegant manners. People of the era seem more civil than we do today - at first glance, anyway. But think about all the slurs that Lizzie Bennett has to endure in Pride and Prejudice and how satisfying it is that she stands up for herself when expected to bow down to aristocratic snobs. Maybe the real fun comes in smashing up the formalities of the Regency.

I explore a little more on this topic and how it comes to play in As You Wish in a blog post from last summer here: http://www.jenmalin.com/archives/1196

For the As You Wish page on Amazon, click the cover image here:

Happy Mother's Day to those of you who are moms, and an awesome weekend to all!
Jen

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When did authors start writing time-travel stories (like my romance As You Wish)? Surprisingly, not long ago at all. Although some earlier stories feature people finding themselves in the future after sleeping a long time or visiting a strange place, Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol was one of the first to have a character travel back in time. Even then, only Scrooge's soul traveled back, not his body.

What 19th-century author wrote the next popular story that took a character back in time, body and all? Find out in my blog post here: http://www.jenmalin.com/archives/1056

Happy reading!
Jen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts