Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

My novel Savant went permafree yesterday and has been downloaded over 300 times. I'm excited about this, but I also want to propel it into the stratosphere. Any suggestions? Where are the best places to promote this.

NOTE: I definitely applied to BookBub, but haven't heard back. Any other BB-like sites that you can recommend? Facebook/Twitter strategies?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Keep in mind that when new books or an older book goes free for the first time there is an artificial rush of downloads.  There are websites, bots, crawlers, scrapers, whatever term you want to use for a program that automatically scans and downloads free books.  None of these downloads will have a long term effect on your writing career and the visibility gained in rank is fleeting.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Also you probably got a cinisajoy download.   
All that means is here is a teeny tiny bump for you.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
With 23 reviews, you can perhaps get a slot on OHFB, Kindle Books and Tips, Freebooksy, etc, for a price. You can have BKnights tweet about it for you. There are a lot of sites that will bump your visibility for a few days.

·
Registered
283 Posts
RichardDenoncourt said:
Guys,

My novel Savant went permafree yesterday and has been downloaded over 300 times. I'm excited about this, but I also want to propel it into the stratosphere. Any suggestions? Where are the best places to promote this.

NOTE: I definitely applied to BookBub, but haven't heard back. Any other BB-like sites that you can recommend? Facebook/Twitter strategies?
There are several dozen sites that promote books of all kinds, but it's really hard to give a master list because each site has different requirements. I can't even suggest something right on top of my head that takes permafree books and does a good job. I know there are several for sure though.

For Facebook and social media, stuff is simpler. There are several dozen facebook groups, google+ groups, sub-reddits and twitter hashtags where you can get a bunch of free downloads from. However, with social media it's all about either:

A) getting really involved in a few select places with a lot of traffic and active members which then results in a large conversion %, meaning a lot of people are willing to download your book because they respect you and your efforts.

B) casting a wide net and promoting the book in as many places as you can. It's not feasible to become involved in a 100+ social media communities without going insane. So it's basically a grind work of posting links to your books.

Basically, the way you do it, is simple. On Facebook, go to the search bar and search for things like "e-book giveaways, free e-books, authors, writers etc" and select to see search results for "groups". Then you pick out the most relevant groups with good member counts and apply to join. It may take a day or more to be accepted, though sometimes you will get declined and sometimes the group is slow/dead and nobody accepts you. Once you've applied and joined, you have to note the guidelines of each group. Some allow self-promotions, others don't. Some only allow books with a certain price, only on Kindle and so forth. Some only allow promotions on certain days, or every so often. Break the rules and you might get banned and that's that.

It's a grind. Same applies for Google+ communities and sub-reddits as-well. Twitter is easiest to use technically (just apply the right hashtags to your messages), but getting your message noticed might require spamming, which is not only time-consuming but might put off legitimate followers of your twitter account.

For the social media stuff I can help. http://www.jameshmayfield.com/book-promotions/

But for the promotion sites I'm afraid I don't have any suggestion off the top of my head. Try to look around in this forum, it's been talked about a lot, try to use the search feature to find the right topics. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SBJones said:
Keep in mind that when new books or an older book goes free for the first time there is an artificial rush of downloads. There are websites, bots, crawlers, scrapers, whatever term you want to use for a program that automatically scans and downloads free books. None of these downloads will have a long term effect on your writing career and the visibility gained in rank is fleeting.
Good point. I'm hoping BookBub will come through and I'll get more "real" downloads. Thanks for the tip. I'm using this as a strategy to build my mailing list.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shawn Inmon said:
With 23 reviews, you can perhaps get a slot on OHFB, Kindle Books and Tips, Freebooksy, etc, for a price. You can have BKnights tweet about it for you. There are a lot of sites that will bump your visibility for a few days.
Nice. Thanks Shawn.

I

·
0 Posts
No, no. This isn't right:

Keep in mind that when new books or an older book goes free for the first time there is an artificial rush of downloads.  There are websites, bots, crawlers, scrapers, whatever term you want to use for a program that automatically scans and downloads free books.  None of these downloads will have a long term effect on your writing career and the visibility gained in rank is fleeting.

There is a REAL rush of downloads. There are hundreds of sites that mention free books.

There are also forums like the official Kindle forums where readers pool together and share the day's best books.

If you have good reviews and a good cover then you'll get found and shared. SciFi is a smaller genre. However, there'll still be lots of people who find you.

Ideally, what you should have done is done a promotion with a site that's very good for free books like FreeBooksy or eReader News Today the FIRST day you went permafree.

You can still do very well by getting a promotion as soon as possible with 1 or more of these sites and GETTING IT FOR THE SAME DAY.

My rough list of Top 10 for free book promotion (not ordered by effectiveness or anything)
eReader News Today
Free Booksy
BookSends
The MidList
BKnights
One Hundred Free Books (OHFB)
Free Kindle Books & Tips (FKBT)

I'm excluding Bookbub. They're #1 by a wide margin.

Also, I don't know which are best for SciFi.

Your cover is good. If you have good reviews you'll do well. Just remember to stack them all on same day so you can get a high sales rank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts