Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some 360o views of Kindle 2 - showing the various connectors. (If you find better photos, post them in this thread, and I'll replace the pix in this post.)

Top view - showing on/off switch and headphone jack. When headphones are plugged into the jack, the speakers turn off automatically.

Right-side view - showing volume up/down rocker control

Bottom view - showing micro-USB connector, and charge indicator light.

Back view - showing left and right speakers

Front view - showing 5-way controller

·
Registered
599 Posts
Sweet pics! Thanks for sharing :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Great pictures, Harvey, thank you.

Seeing those makes me even more convinced that the corners on the K2 Oberon cover are going to be less of an issue than they were on the K1 covers. There really is nothing on or near the corners to be covered up.

L

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
If you guys don't cut it out with the Kindle 2 stuff (pics, links, sound, video, etc.), I'm going to have to stop coming to KindleBoards.  I cannot take the constant barrage of temptation to buy the new device!  

Just kidding.  

I'll go back to my drooling now.  

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
crebel said:
Where is the Whispernet button? Is it done from the toggle switch?
My understanding is that there is no "button" for the Whispernet anymore. Now, you use the selection button to go to Menu and turn Whispernet on that way.

·
Registered
339 Posts
mwvickers said:
If you guys don't cut it out with the Kindle 2 stuff (pics, links, sound, video, etc.), I'm going to have to stop coming to KindleBoards. I cannot take the constant barrage of temptation to buy the new device!

Just kidding.

I'll go back to my drooling now.
Ha ha...I am in agreement with you. I have to tell myself that I just got my Kindle and that I love my Oberon!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey mwvickers! You have the Kindle Classic First Edition! Like other Classics, it does have its own features that us Kindle 2 owners will be drooling over:

1. You can take an extra battery with you, if you are on a long journey where you can't charge your Kindle. So, while us Kindle 2 ers are looking over your shoulder sitting next to you on the plane, you can be reading away happily! For those that say "but the Kindle 2 will hold a charge for 2 weeks, surely you are not taking a 3-week plane ride!", I say "Well, that is true on Day 1, but what about Month 18?" My experience with other LiIon devices says, maybe the charge won't last that long by then.

2. You can keep your favorite "secret" books on an SD card. As someone posted on the other board "I don't want my father-in-law to know what books I read, when I loan him my Kindle!".

So, just enjoy it, just like you used to! It will work just the same on Feb 25th, as it did on Day 1!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
astromusic said:
Hey mwvickers! You have the Kindle Classic First Edition! Like other Classics, it does have its own features that us Kindle 2 owners will be drooling over:
Don't get me wrong. I agree that they both have good features. I just happen to like some of the K2 features.

1. You can take an extra battery with you, if you are on a long journey where you can't charge your Kindle. So, while us Kindle 2 ers are looking over your shoulder sitting next to you on the plane, you can be reading away happily! For those that say "but the Kindle 2 will hold a charge for 2 weeks, surely you are not taking a 3-week plane ride!", I say "Well, that is true on Day 1, but what about Month 18?" My experience with other LiIon devices says, maybe the charge won't last that long by then.
This doesn't bother me as much. I rarely go on any trips, and when I do, it is usually no more than a day away at most. Then, I'm only gone for a few days usually, and I have constant access to wall plugs for recharging. But that's just me.

2. You can keep your favorite "secret" books on an SD card. As someone posted on the other board "I don't want my father-in-law to know what books I read, when I loan him my Kindle!".
Actually, my dad and I share an account, so there are no "secret" books for us, as we can see what the other person buys from Amazon. LOL

Besides, who actually lends out theire Kindle? Just kidding.

So, just enjoy it, just like you used to! It will work just the same on Feb 25th, as it did on Day 1!
Oh, I know. But that still doesn't change the fact that I am tempted to buy a new one. LOL

Thanks for the advice, though.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sweet pics Harvey!  Thanks!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Very nice, I can't wait for everyone to tell me about it.  I didn't order one, anxious to see if you all love it :)  I'm sure you all will enjoy your new Kindle.

·
Super Moderator
67,496 Posts
When one of you gets one of these newfangled things for real, can you post some pictures -- or a video -- showing how the 5-way works. . . .I'm not seeing it.  Maybe because I don't do iPod?  To me 5-Way is Cincinnati chili with cheese, onions, and beans. . . . .

Ann

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
When one of you gets one of these newfangled things for real, can you post some pictures -- or a video -- showing how the 5-way works. . . .I'm not seeing it. Maybe because I don't do iPod? To me 5-Way is Cincinnati chili with cheese, onions, and beans. . . . .

Ann
LOL I had to laugh at your comment, but I want to see those pics too. I don't have a Ipod, Iphone or any kind of device like that. I never even held one of those so I too don't know if those buttons are common. Its not that I don't like gadgets, I just don't have use for an mp3 player or a fancy phone. I am having problems imagining how that thingy will work or how durable it could be. I guess I wait until some of the board members get their unit and talk about it. I wonder how "crumb" proof it is :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts