Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
67,354 Posts
Ah! So ... do read the article. It's not because Amazon is changing anything but, rather, because the various cell networks will be shutting down their purely 3G versions to focus on 5G. Which probably means some older phones will stop working, too. :(

The question becomes: will there be new kindles that have 5G technology? The article does say that Kindles made since 2017 are already 4G -- and it sounds like it's only the 2G/3G networks that will stop working.

Overall, the tone of the article is a bit alarmist -- I think there are probably more people with recent model kindles than he seems to think. I doubt there are many cellular only devices left -- as I recall they added WiFi with the Keyboard model which is from 2010. So all models since then DO have WiFi which for many people (me, for example) is sufficient. I haven't paid extra for a cellular connection for years. But I acknowledge that people in places with less ready WiFi access will be more strongly impacted.

One hopes Amazon will be be alerting users with the older models and continuing their policy of offering discounts with trade ins.

Reactions: Linjeakel

·
5,933 Posts
I have several generations of Kindles going right back to the K2 and the DX, BUT I don't use those on a day-to-day basis and rarely, if ever, take them out of the house. I can load books from my PC to those.

On the other hand, I do use my Voyage most of the time rather than the later PW4 I bought in 2019 but which I'm not so keen on. Luckily the 3G isn't something I need very often any more - I only bought Kindles with that option while I was still at work and didn't have access to wi-fi while travelling.

I suppose the answer is that on the odd occasion I might need it I'll have to use my phone to create a wi-fi hotspot instead. That will work for the Voyage, if not for the earlier none wi-fi models.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The decision by the cellular carriers is impacting many cars as well as they also use 3G.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Alarmist-tone subject-line.
It's not that the actual Kindles won't work anymore -- just that they won't be able to phone-home other than on wi-fi, or by side-loading books (which of course may require some amount of thinking-ahead before leaving home, about what you might want to have on it).

The comments make interesting reading too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts