Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Sith With bowed to Betsy, and assured her that she could forsee no reason why this thread would require the use of the cattle prod.

The Sith Witch has a question about serials.

She has completed the sequel to The Doom Guardian and it is currently percolating (i.e. she tends to put aside work upon completion and let it sit for a few months before beginning edits. Like the original, the book is written in five parts. It has occurred to her that the format of the novel actually might lend itself to serialization.

She wonders if it would be a good idea to re-release The Doom Guardian in serial format. She doesn't want to pull the original book off the market. But it would be simple enough to break the novel into five parts and release a new episode once a week or once every two weeks.

The ebook doesn't have a lot of traction on Amazon. ***** knows why. It's priced at $5.99 and ***** doesn't market on Amazon-centric promotional sites. Dropping the price is not an option, because doing so would require dropping the price across all channels due to various distribution agreements ***** has. Further, the book sells well at that price OFF of Amazon. And because the book sells well off Amazon, Select is not an option because ***** won't alienate her primary market to chase after the Amazon market. It's also sold around 2,000 print copies, mostly through expanded distribution on Createspace and direct sales to her pre-existing readership using coupon codes.

*****'s thinking is that serializing the novel would allow her to capture some of the Amazon demographic by offering each part at 99 cents each. And putting herself on a firm release schedule would force her to get the final editing done of the next book so that it can be serialized once the The Doom Guardian's run is done.

Anyone with experience with serial care to chime in with advice, recommendations, and/or warnings before Her Sithiness moves forward with this plan? Opinions are welcomed and appreciated (and should be offered in the 3rd person)
:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lynn McNamee said:
Lynn doesn't really like the idea of serial novels and would never purchase one herself.

However, she does concede that many readers seem to enjoy the concept, so it's definitely a viable option if a novel were to lend itself to the format.
***** concurs. She doesn't real serials, either. But since the book is already available as a complete novel, there would be no risk of alienating folks who want the full story in one shot. She's considering this as a way of getting better footing with Amazon customers.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Nathalie came in while Julie was exposing her problem, and sat on the sofa. She pondered for a moment at the question.

Because she was very partial to the serials, she almost said yes without thinking, but acting without thinking was a big no-no in company of the Sith witch--a very lethal and perilous no-no.

After her while, she searched her courage and said: "I think you should do it. Not just because serials are great, but also because there is a public for them, just like me."

She got up, lifting a pondering finger. "Though there should be an incentive to buy the serial version--better price, or some added content exclusive to those versions."

Nathalie sat back down, a bit nervous, as the eye of the Witch stared at her.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Jonathan is currently working on the Beacon Saga, having released parts I and II, and believes the Sith Witch should go ahead with her plans to serialize the novel. It sounds like a solid idea, and Julie's customers likely won't take issue with more options to purchase existing content.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nathalie Hamidi said:
She got up, lifting a pondering finger. "Though there should be an incentive to buy the serial version--better price, or some added content exclusive to those versions."
The Sith Witch leaned against her desk, contemplating Nathalie's suggestions. She nodded in agreement.

"The novel sells for $5.99," she said. "So at 99 cents an episode, serial readers would get the whole story for only $4.95. That's over a $1 off."

The Sith nodded and the corner of her mouth curled into a smirk. "Over a $1 off," she said quietly. "Yes. Yes, that would work."

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Nathalie Hamidi said:
Julie was exposing her problem
Betsy raises an eyebrow at Julie exposing her problem on a public forum. :eek: And tries to avoid Nathalie's pondering finger.

Betsy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Betsy raises an eyebrow at ***** exposing her problem on a public forum.
***** suddenly realized she felt a draft, and adjusted her Sith robes to avoid further undue exposure. :eek:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Micki thinks Julie should serialize her novel. She is of the opinion a lot of readers who commute, be it on buses or the tube (she is referring to UK) prefer to read short serials to pass the time. (Also a good excuse not to give up their seat if you know what Micki means!) Once the reader gets into the office, he/she will switch on the computer and download the rest of the series. Conclusion: mega sales - go for it - Julie has nothing to lose.  ;D

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
The Sith Witch leaned against her desk, contemplating Nathalie's suggestions. She nodded in agreement.

"The novel sells for $5.99," she said. "So at 99 cents an episode, serial readers would get the whole story for only $4.95. That's over a $1 off."

The Sith nodded and the corner of her mouth curled into a smirk. "Over a $1 off," she said quietly. "Yes. Yes, that would work."
Nathalie sighed, relieved, a bit nervous still, but bolder now that her suggestion had been received positively. "Also, that would allow you to have more books, which could lead to greater discovery. Instead of one book lost in the billions of books on Amazon, you would have six... books... lost in the billions of--"

Nathalie decided to shut up and turned to Jonathan, as if he had talked. Shifting the attention. Avoiding the wrath.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I have deleted this post as I do not consent to the new Terms of Service that Vertical Scope are attempting to retrospectively apply to our content.  I am forced to manually replace my content as, at time of editing, their representative has instructed moderators not to delete posts or accounts when users request it, and Vertical Scope have implied that they will deal with account deletion requests by anonymising accounts, which would leave personally identifying information in my posts.

I joined under the previous ownership and have posted over the years under different Terms of Service.  I do not consent to my name, content, or intellectual properties being used by Vertical Scope or any other entity that they sell or licence my data to.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Betsy raises an eyebrow at Julie exposing her problem on a public forum. :eek: And tries to avoid Nathalie's pondering finger.

Betsy
Nathalie frowned one eyebrow at Betsy for making fun of her English. "If you mock me, I shall write in French everywhere on this forum!" :p

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Nathalie Hamidi said:
Nathalie frowned one eyebrow at Betsy for making fun of her English. "If you mock me, I shall write in French everywhere on this forum!" :p
Betsy grovels.
:(

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Betsy grovels.
:(
Nathalie licks Betsy's nose. :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
***** grabs her fourth cup of coffee, much to Betsy's dismay (as it is NOT decaf). She holds the warm cup in both hands and reflects on Zelah and Meg's concerns before allowing herself to take a sip.

***** tends to agree with both of them in theory. ***** herself dislikes the idea of recycling the same content over and over in ten different ways and usually would not consider such a presentation. She flips through her print copy of the book. It is already set up in clearly defined parts, with each of the five parts having a clear beginning and end. The table of contents even reflects the breakdown of the book. So unlike a normal stand-alone novel, this one lends itself to breaking up by virtue of it's current design.

Part One: Alliances
Chapter One: The Doom Guardian
Chapter Two: Carnaton
Chapter Three: The Rogue Actor
Chapter Four: The Felsworn

Part Two: Blood Ties
Chapter Five: Ghosts of the Past
Chapte Six: The Tinker Kinge
Chapter Seven: The Familiar Stranger
Chapter Eight: His Sister's Keeper

Part Three: The Principled Assassin
Chapter Nine: Warden's Gift
Chapter Ten: In Plain Sight
Chapter Eleven: Tongues Like Razors
Chapter Twelve: Sanctuary

Part Four: The Sleeping Marsh
Chapter Thirteen: The Vargran
Chapter Fourteen: Trial by Fire
Chapter Fifteen: Blood and Fire
Chapter Sixteen: Heretics and Monsters

Part Five: The Mouth of Chaos
Chapter Seventeen: The Inconvenient Opportunist
Chapter Eighteen: Sacrifices
Chapter Nineteen: Legacies and Farewells
Chapter Twenty: Things Left Undone

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
*slow clap* Judi grins, "Best stuff I've read in ages."  Runs off feeling completely fulfilled hoping no one knew she was in the room.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Kent nodded sagely, thereby offering his mute encouragement toward the pursuit of the serial route.  He thought it was a good move.  Besides, nodding sagely was an efficient, passive and well-regarded gesture which could be performed in a minimal amount of time.  This abbreviated effort was a good thing, for it maximized the amount of time in which he could pursue coffee and pastries.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts