Kindle Forum banner

4th kindle works!!

5K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Bacardi Jim 
#1 ·
yep
I got one in Oct 08 and loved it, all of a sudden it stopped. So AZ sent another, and that one didn't work, no wireless connection, so AZ sent another one.
THIS SOB doesn't work, no wireless connection, I called at least 7 times to fix it, no luck
Finally I asked to speak to a supervisor so I can be sure the next one will work, his job, to be sure everyone talks nice on the phone.
So I have 3 Ks at my house that don't work and I am waiting on the 4th. One thing about AZ, they do send them fast, but it would be nice IF THEY WORKED!!g

ARGGGGGH

ps I asked if there was a customer service line which I called, I then asked if there was another number so I can find out why this was going on.
the girl GAVE ME HER CUSTOMER SERVICE NUMBER! GAD

#2 ·
First, Agilles, welcome to Kindleboards, and congratulations on your first post!

Wow, 3 bad ones, that's horrible!

The first one worked, Whispernet and everything?  Have you tried any of them in another location to make sure something didn't happen to the Whispernet coverage? 

Is there anyone else near you with a Kindle that works?  I'm still thinking that somehow something might have happened to the Whispernet coverage...

Betsy

G
#3 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
First, Agilles, welcome to Kindleboards, and congratulations on your first post!

Wow, 3 bad ones, that's horrible!

The first one worked, Whispernet and everything? Have you tried any of them in another location to make sure something didn't happen to the Whispernet coverage?

Is there anyone else near you with a Kindle that works? I'm still thinking that somehow something might have happened to the Whispernet coverage...

Betsy
That was my immediate thought too.

G
#4 ·
I don't know what to tell you.  Are they all charged up?  have you tried them in different parts of your town?  The cell towewr in your area could be down.  It's not much but it's all I got.  Good luck with the next one.  :)

#7 ·
thanks for the note
but, the locations I have tried worked just fine with the first K and I have 2 wireless computer.

I don't know what is wrong, had to go to 611, on number pad, and relay all that info so they can check to see if the internal guts are ok,
just crossing my fingers that this one will work
take care and next time I hope to have some good news

live in NW Ark.

#8 ·
A wireless computer and the Whispernet are two separate services...you can have wireless access without having Whispernet....at any rate, let us know what Amazon says!

Betsy

#9 ·
agilles9012 said:
thanks for the note
but, the locations I have tried worked just fine with the first K and I have 2 wireless computer.

I don't know what is wrong, had to go to 611, on number pad, and relay all that info so they can check to see if the internal guts are ok,
just crossing my fingers that this one will work
take care and next time I hope to have some good news

live in NW Ark.
Have you tried a soft reset? Are not getting any bars? Or are you getting bars and then does it tell you it can't connect? That happen to me once and
I just hit Alt-shift (up arrow about Alt) and "R" my Kindle restarted and was able to connected fine.

As Betsy said wireless and your whispernet are two different things. Just curious, why have you not sent the others back yet? It might help them figure out the problem, if it is the Kindles.

#10 ·
I have found at least one spot in my house where my whispernet doesn't work. I avoid that space!! Sounds like it is a signal problem, not a Kindle problem. Have you taken it anywhere else in town to see? Just seems kinda weird that none of them are working.

G
#11 ·
You need to check the coverage map on the Kindle product page to see if you have coverage. I suspect you don't. WiFi and Whispernet are two completely different things so your wireless computers don't mean a thing. Whispernet works over Sprint (the cell phone service provider)'s network. If you don't have Sprint coverage in your town you won't be able to use Whispernet.

#12 ·
hello again

yes I have taken the K to other locations around the town, just to see if anything would happen. Like now I did a reset with my pclip. It turns back on but no bars come on. Last night there were bars etc. Az did say "it is now registered" but like all of your, it doesn't say "alex's kindle" at the top, only "my kindle"

I understand the dif between the computer and the K, but again, my firsts K worked well no matter where I was. Az does say it cannot read my kindle. I also did a hard reset, holding down 3 buttons and restart data, no luck

the reason I have 3 at this time is because I had my first one and then the 2nd, so I wanted to be sure it worked before I sent anything back, same reason for the second. I am not gonna make numerous trips to the ups store until I can send all of
thanks again
ANother is comng tomorrow, so wait for the next episode
take care
alex g

az did tell me the wait now for a new K is 11 weeks!

#14 ·
NYC

that is one of the main issues, my first one did great, no issues
now,
when I also go to manage my account it says all the things which were purchased were d/l successfully, but they are no where to be seen
I live in Bentonville,AR  home of walmart so there is no problem with service
but again I appreciate the input
seeya

#15 ·
Okay, one more question, did you de-register the first two?

Your account maybe a little confused at this point, with now 4 kindles to deliver too. I would de-register all 3 before you fire up the new one.

You also might try calling Sprint and ask them about spotty coverage in your area.

I think that since you have had the same problem with multiple units, it leads us to believe that it is not the device itself. What are the odds that
so many would have the same fault? I have heard that just a hill in the wrong spot can cause a lot of problems. Or maybe there is a faulty tower, which might account for it working sometimes and then not. You do know, you can download your content to your computer and transfer it too your Kindle. You may just need to do that till Sprint gets better service in your area. If you ask enough around, I am sure you will find someone who has had or still has sprint
for the phone and can tell you if they have problems with it.

#17 ·
I drove down to Houston today to visit my hubby. He has an apt in SW Houston. I have no whispernet bars at his apartment. I took the kindle with me when we went out to eat dinner and still no bars are showing. It is a good thing I have plenty downloaded!! My kindle works great at home and it worked great when I visited my daughter in Kingwood (NE Houston) a couple of weeks ago. My guess is still a coverage issue like I am facing here right now.

#18 ·
I wrote and recd many good tips about the problems with my first 3. So I fired off an angry letter to AZ. So this 4th K, showed up in less than 12 hrs!!
It works just great so far. I am in a different location so I will watch that, but I have been able to d/l stuff from my account which I was not able to do with the last 2.
so I will enjoy this and keep my fingers crossed.
thanks to all for the helpful hints
ag ;D

#22 ·
agilles9012 said:
I wrote and recd many good tips about the problems with my first 3. So I fired off an angry letter to AZ. So this 4th K, showed up in less than 12 hrs!!
It works just great so far. I am in a different location so I will watch that, but I have been able to d/l stuff from my account which I was not able to do with the last 2.
so I will enjoy this and keep my fingers crossed.
thanks to all for the helpful hints
ag ;D
Wahoo! Great news!

Betsy

G
#23 ·
Very cool.  I am so happy for you. 

My Kindle started acting funny this evening.  It started when I turned WN on and it only showed 3 bars.  I always have a full set at my house.
I went to the Kindle store to buy a couple of books and after buying the first one, I lost my connection and the book didn't download.

After several attempts to get my book to download, my Kindle just locked up.  I turned it off and that didn't do any good.  It was frozen on the last page of the book I was reading.

Paper clip time. 

I tried to download again and it locked up again.

Paper clip time

This time I had no bars.  I let my Kindle charge a while even though it showed 75% full.  After a nearly full charge, everything worked again.  weee!

I was a little worried at first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.