Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
timskorn said:
Yup. Every book seems to be 4 or 5 stars, so I don't even pay attention the star rating anymore.
Seriously, though. If you were looking at a list of books that popped up in your search results, would you spend time looking into those displaying a 3-star average?

G

·
Quiss said:
Seriously, though. If you were looking at a list of books that popped up in your search results, would you spend time looking into those displaying a 3-star average?
I do all the time. If I am looking for a specific type of book, I don't stop at the star rating. I read the reviews. Particularly because I read a lot of political and religion books that tend to attract negative reviews from people who just disagree with the position.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Don't quote me (because I'm not gonna go back and try to find it again) but recently I read an article that claimed the reason heaps of paid reviews work is because most people look at the total number of reviews. They don't seem to care about the star ranking or what the individual reviews said. Many people who read reviews only read the first one or two.

The discriminating, often prolific, bookworm who carefully researches their next read is an anomaly.

So if you're someone like John Locke, then yes, paying for a lot of reviews is a good strategy. Certainly better than waiting 12 months to get a dozen 5 stars from your friends and fans.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm new, so please forgive me if this is off-topic, but I've searched for over an hour (1 hour 23 minutes) and this is the closest topic to my question. I have a friend who bought my book on Amazon Kindle and wanted to write a review. It was disallowed. Has anyone else run into this? people wanting to review your book, but not able to?

Thanks.

<and now I'm trying to think of 5 despicable things I can do so this comment will sort of belong here. Nope. Can't do it>

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Wag-a-muffin said:
I'm new, so please forgive me if this is off-topic, but I've searched for over an hour (1 hour 23 minutes) and this is the closest topic to my question. I have a friend who bought my book on Amazon Kindle and wanted to write a review. It was disallowed. Has anyone else run into this? people wanting to review your book, but not able to?

Thanks.

<and now I'm trying to think of 5 despicable things I can do so this comment will sort of belong here. Nope. Can't do it>
Welcome to KB, Wag-a-muffin. :)

Was your friend using your wireless network when they submitted the review? Are you linked to this friend by anything in your Amazon account (gifts sent, mailing address, last name)? Is there anything in the friend's account that might link them to you? Based on what people have reported here, we suspect that any of these things may cause Amazon to delete a review. They've been pretty aggressive about it.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Wag-a-muffin said:

Thanks.

Your friend will have to buy something from Amazon before their account will be able to review anything.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for all the possible reasons (and the handle compliment. I do cartoons under this name and it's my twitter name too.)
One of my "rejected" comment-ers did use her computer from my house (network) so that might be the reason for rejection.
The other "rejected" commet-er is a grandmotherly type who (I suspect) doesn't understand what she's doing. (I too, am technologically challenged, I know just enough about my computer to infect it on a regular basis.)

Again, thanks. I hesitated to post because I thought I might get, "what? That doesn't belong on THIS topic" type replies.

G

·
Wag-a-muffin said:
"what? That doesn't belong on THIS topic" type replies.
I don't believe this has EVER stopped one of us before! :eek: ;D Usually by the third page, we're talking about something completely unrelated to the original post.

We all have mild A.D.D. that way. :p ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
ShaunaG said:
Thank you SO much! These were so informative--and a bit scary. One of my reviews is from an on-line fan of my cartoons. He wrote, "Have 'known' Barbara Black Fox for several years on the internet. Have always found her view of our often confused world to be wise and crystal clear! Highly recommend this tome to her fans, and for the price, legions of soon to be new fans. " When I first read it I thought NOOOOOOO!!!!!! Don't write that you "know" me! But it's still on there today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts