Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a set of 5 books called The Earthbound Series. I downloaded them, but have not yet read them so I can't give you any idea if they're worth it or not. Just thought I'd list them for all of you, like me, who can't turn down a free book. They are available in Mobi format so they can be emailed and sent to your Kindle.

http://www.virtualimprint.com/earthbound/

·
Registered
273 Posts
I found this synopsis of the first book.

Nykkyo Kyhana is a native of a planet formed when a future Earth space mission fell into a black hole and emerged thousands of years in the past. He finds himself on present-day Earth, sent on a mission to gather plants for his people's food and fibre supplies. There he befriends Sukiko, a lecturer at the university where he is assigned. As their friendship blossoms into a deep love, Nyk learns she is his own distant ancestor, as well as an ancestor to the man who founded his world. He realizes his love for her risks disrupting future events and jeopardizes his own existence and that of his people.

Nyk blames himself for such a disruption when Sukiko attempts suicide. After intervening to save her life, he decides he must disengage from her, to prevent further interference. But, by now it is too late. Events have been set into motion and Nyk is compelled to intervene again on her behalf -- or face temporal annihilation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tc said:
I found this synopsis of the first book.

Nykkyo Kyhana is a native of a planet formed when a future Earth space mission fell into a black hole and emerged thousands of years in the past. He finds himself on present-day Earth, sent on a mission to gather plants for his people's food and fibre supplies. There he befriends Sukiko, a lecturer at the university where he is assigned. As their friendship blossoms into a deep love, Nyk learns she is his own distant ancestor, as well as an ancestor to the man who founded his world. He realizes his love for her risks disrupting future events and jeopardizes his own existence and that of his people.

Nyk blames himself for such a disruption when Sukiko attempts suicide. After intervening to save her life, he decides he must disengage from her, to prevent further interference. But, by now it is too late. Events have been set into motion and Nyk is compelled to intervene again on her behalf -- or face temporal annihilation.
I guess he was transported back to Novermber 5, 1955.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Angela said:
kindler, that link didn't work for me... message that appears says the site does not exist! :'(
Did you try a couple of times? Might just be site traffic or server problems between your ISP and the site; it's worked for me a couple of times now.

And thanks for the original post, kindler, I'll have to check it out in more detail later on when I have more time (and can download them at home :D).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Angela said:
kindler, that link didn't work for me... message that appears says the site does not exist! :'(
It should work. I just clicked on it in my original post and was taken there. I can't understand why it won't work for you.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Steph H said:
Did you try a couple of times? Might just be site traffic or server problems between your ISP and the site; it's worked for me a couple of times now.

And thanks for the original post, kindler, I'll have to check it out in more detail later on when I have more time (and can download them at home :D).
It is working for me now... the message was from suddenlink... I am not at home and am "borrowing" a wireless internet connection and don't know if that has anything to do with it, but regardless, it is working now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Hey, Charles! It's your cousin, Marvin. Marvin DARWIN! You know that new theory on the origin of the human species you were looking for? Well, listen to THIS!"

[From the scene where Nukkyo takes Sukiko to the "Enchantment Under the Primordial Sea" dance.]

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would like to get these books.  However I have a problem, I have never gotten a book that has not come from Amazon.  Therefore I do not know how to go from Mobi format to Kindle.  If there is a link on how to do this or if some one could explain this to me I really would appreciate it.
Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you have Whispernet, just email it to your "yourname"@kindle.com email address. Amazon will convert it for you and deliver it back to your Kindle in just a couple of minutes or so.

If you don't have Whispernet email it to "yourname"@free.kindle.com address and they will send you a link to download the file to your computer and you can transfer it to your Kindle via the USB cable.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
tc said:
I would like to get these books. However I have a problem, I have never gotten a book that has not come from Amazon. Therefore I do not know how to go from Mobi format to Kindle. If there is a link on how to do this or if some one could explain this to me I really would appreciate it.
Thanks
The Mobi format is prc which is readable on the Kindle. Just download to your computer...I usually put it on my desktop and then connect your Kindle to the computer. It'll show up as a separate drive (on my computer it'll actually say Kindle) and then you open up the Kindle's document folder....just drag and drop there. It's very easy to do :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
"Hey, Charles! It's your cousin, Marvin. Marvin DARWIN! You know that new theory on the origin of the human species you were looking for? Well, listen to THIS!"

[From the scene where Nukkyo takes Sukiko to the "Enchantment Under the Primordial Sea" dance.]
LOL!! Very funny, indeed. (Btw, I was also struck bythe similarity to BTTF when I read the synopsis.)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
kindler said:
If you have Whispernet, just email it to your "yourname"@kindle.com email address. Amazon will convert it for you and deliver it back to your Kindle in just a couple of minutes or so.

If you don't have Whispernet email it to "yourname"@free.kindle.com address and they will send you a link to download the file to your computer and you can transfer it to your Kindle via the USB cable.
But if a book is already formatted for the Kindle (either .prc, .mobi, or .azw extension) you don't want to email it to your Kindle. It won't show up. You need to transfer it with USB cable, as Chynared said.

L

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To be honest, I email myself .Mobi files from Manybooks and other places all the time because I'm too lazy to get the cable to transfer them and they always come out just fine. That may be true with the azw and prc files, but mobi's will work.

Just to be sure, I just downloaded 3 mobi's from Manybooks again and sent them to myself and they came out fine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts