Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my story (and review for the Kindle 2) Which I gave 5-Stars for over at Amazon.com... I wonder why my review hasn't been published yet? (sarcasm)

Anyways, this is for all the people who have gone through Kindle after Kindle, please don't give up!

(Oh, and I'm glad to be a new member of Kindleboards!)

5 Kindle 2's Later: Out of Persistence, Dedication, and a Love of Books, May 3, 2009

I would like to dedicate this to the 5 Kindle 2's that perished so that it all might be possible.

It took six Kindle 2's, but I finally got one.

One that didn't have the vampire syndrome (meaning that the words started to fade on the screen almost to nothingness when in any amount of sunlight) or horrible contrast.

Here's the story of my Kindle 2 Life; I'll keep it short.

Kindle 2 (Number 1)- Had difficulty holding a charge and suffered from the vampire syndrome.

Kindle 2 (Number 2, The First Replacement Kindle) ALSO had the vampire syndrome.

** I would, however like to note at this point that Vampire syndrome aside, both devices worked perfectly in all other aspects, and had no dark grey background or too-light fonts that others have complained about.

Kindle 2 (Number 3, The Second Replacement Kindle) Thankfully DID NOT have the vampire syndrome, but the background was dark grey, the font, a dark grey as well as opposed to black. The Previous Page button, also did not want to "click" as the other buttons minus the ones on the keyboard did; it just sort of sank into the device without giving me much confirmation that the action was being carried out or not.

** UPS, a few of the Kindle Support People and myself have at this point, become quite familiar with each other now.

Kindle 2 (Number 4, The Third Replacement Kindle) Also did not have the vampire syndrome or buttons that refused to click, but like it's predecessor, it too had poor contrast between the background of the screen and the words on it. To confirm it, I still had two of the previous Kindle's to compare it to.

Kindle 2 (Number 5, The Fourth Replacement Kindle) See "Kindle 2 (Number 4, The Third Replacement Kindle)"

Some might wonder why I had gone through so much for this device. But all those superficial issues aside, I love the Kindle 2 and have never once regretted my parting of $360.00 (plus warranty and a case). I won't go into all the things I love about it because I believe the three thousand or so other 5-Star reviews are more than adequate enough to explain all the things I love about this device. But rest assured, it was everything I had expected it to be, and more. It is definitely a five-star product, worth every penny and works exactly as advertised.

Kindle 2 (Number 6, The Fifth Replacement Kindle) Came about an hour ago. "Again?" The UPS guy asked as he handed me the box. "Again," I had nodded, and with a sheepish smile, I turned away and went into the house. I opened up the package ( I think I could do it in my sleep at this point) peeled off the clear adhesive sheet, slid the button to the right and waited. And prayed; I was running out of duct tape to close the boxes. But it was clear; one I had the home menu up and several of my books had downloaded, I could tell immediately that there was a huge difference between Kindle Number 6 and Kindle's 5,4, and 3 (If you remember, Kindle's 1&2 were fine in the contrast department, just not in the vampire syndrome department) I was elated, ecstatic. All the button worked fine, the font was nice and black, the background just as close to white as it is in the pictures up at the top of the page. I danced around for a good while before realizing there was one more test yet to be done; I must expose my Kindle, my Miracle Kindle, to the sunlight. Was my beloved a vampire? I am happy to tell you that no, she is not.

So here I am. It took a few weeks, several telephone calls and e-mails, but I finally have the kindle 2 I had envisioned when I first clicked Place Your Order, and sent Amazon $360.00. Amazon's Kindle Support people were really, really nice, understanding and helpful (and very baffled/horrified each time I told them my story) The Kindle Support People definitely get 5 stars from me!

Please if you're having difficulty with your device, do not hesitate to contact Kindle's Customer Support, and if you have yet to order a Kindle and are on the fence suddenly feeling wary after this review, please don't misunderstand. I have terribly bad luck, or the god's have something against me, for me to have had so many less-than satisfactory Kindle's in my possession. Most people have not had any problems like mine with their Kindle's so please treat my story like the freak series of unfortunate events that it is, and not a typical experience.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Congratulations - first for finally getting a K2 that works as it should (and almost all of us know it can), and second for being sensible in your handling of the situation. 

Now ..... READ!  ENJOY!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LibbyD said:
Congratulations - first for finally getting a K2 that works as it should (and almost all of us know it can), and second for being sensible in your handling of the situation.

Now ..... READ! ENJOY!
Thank you very much ^_^ And yes, I'm reading and enjoying it right now.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Congrats on your new working properly Kindle! May it ever be so.... :D

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Congrats!!

I am so glad your 6th Kindle works well :)

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Wow, that's  crazy that it took so many before you found the "one".  :p

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kind said:
Wow, that's crazy that it took so many before you found the "one". :p
Lol, it's strange, though, on these forums my story doesn't seem all that uncommon... I've seen a few threads where people have gone through four or five kindles... at least I'm glad not to be the only one.

^_^ But yes, Ashterah is the "one" ^_^

Thanks everyone on your congratulations on my victory!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yay, smiley! ^_^ :D

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Crodley said:
Now just DON'T drop it. ;)
Lol, not a chance!

*drops*

x_X

*just joking!*

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Here, here!!!  I share your experience but I did not give up either.  I just knew the right one would come.  The 5th Kindle (replacement #4) was perfection for me.  I've bought a new Noreve orange cover to celebrate!

Congratulations on your success.  I love the Kindle also and Amazon CS is amazing.  They never made me feel "nuts" for all the calls.  They were actually pretty sympathetic.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Anarel said:
This is my story (and review for the Kindle 2) Which I gave 5-Stars for over at Amazon.com... I wonder why my review hasn't been published yet? (sarcasm)

Anyways, this is for all the people who have gone through Kindle after Kindle, please don't give up!
. . .
I was elated, ecstatic. All the button worked fine, the font was nice and black, the background just as close to white as it is in the pictures up at the top of the page. I danced around for a good while before realizing there was one more test yet to be done; I must expose my Kindle, my Miracle Kindle, to the sunlight. Was my beloved a vampire? I am happy to tell you that no, she is not.

So here I am. It took a few weeks, several telephone calls and e-mails, but I finally have the kindle 2 I had envisioned when I first clicked Place Your Order, and sent Amazon $360.00. Amazon's Kindle Support people were really, really nice, understanding and helpful (and very baffled/horrified each time I told them my story) The Kindle Support People definitely get 5 stars from me!
Wow, first, glad to see you here too. What a horrific series of replacements. Smart to keep that record of it all and to finally get a FINE one. Shows they can do better on the ink darkness -and- the screen lightness.

But, have you done the ultra-final test? Have you listened to Tom bounce across the syllables? :)
Just kidding from the other thread.

Vampire syndrome. That is so perfect a description too.

DD,
I didn't catch you finally got a really good Kindle finally! Congratulations also! I think though that maybe I read that you did get a good one and that Ted's fonts only improved that one too?

At any rate, good to hear some good endings here.

Anarel, don't forget your cover! :)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
artsandhistoryfan said:
Wow, first, glad to see you here too. What a horrific series of replacements. Smart to keep that record of it all and to finally get a FINE one. Shows they can do better on the ink darkness -and- the screen lightness.

But, have you done the ultra-final test? Have you listened to Tom bounce across the syllables? :)
Just kidding from the other thread.

Vampire syndrome. That is so perfect a description too.

DD,
I didn't catch you finally got a really good Kindle finally! Congratulations also! I think though that maybe I read that you did get a good one and that Ted's fonts only improved that one too?

At any rate, good to hear some good endings here.

Anarel, don't forget your cover! :)
Yes, thanks very much. And Ted-san's fonts just made decent font even better (my eyesight isn't the greatest) ^_^;;

Yup, I've got myself a M-edge prodigy cover and a skin from decalgirl, so I am definitely set to journey into this kindle life ^_^ Thanks for the congrats!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts