Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe that I heard/read that we are limited to having five kindles on one account.  However, I can't find anything in writing that indicates that.  Can someone please confirm for me whether or not that is true?

Thanks in advance.

Julia

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I have six on my account.  I don't think Amazon limits the number of Kindles on the account but the publishers can limit the number of Kindles/devices that can access a copy of a particular book.  So if one owns 6 devices and the publisher limits it to 5 devices once you download the book to 5 different devices, the 6th can't access it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, that's wonderful news.

Thanks for the advice to call Amazon and normally I would do so, but that is a little difficult from here in Afghanistan.  I guess I'll just go ahead and try to register a sixth on my account and see how it goes.

Take care and thanks again for the helpful advice.

Best wishes,

Julia

·
Registered
229 Posts
Forster has it correct, you are not limited to the number of kindles or apps registered to your account (I have 5 kindles and 2 iPhone apps)....but books are limited to how many devices came have the same book at the same time...once you reach that limit, you'd need to remove the book from one device to load it onto another.

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
As has been stated, you can register as many Kindle devices or Kindle apps to your account as you want.  But a given book may be limited in how many of those it can be on at one time.

If there is nothing in the book description that says how many, the default is 6 simultaneous devices.

Or the description might specify a different, usually lower, number.

Or it might say "unlimited" which means just that.  Books with unlimited simultaneous device usage may not even have DRM and so may be able to be legitimately converted for the purchaser's use on non-Kindle readers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
history_lover said:
What everyone else has explained is accurate - I just want to point out that it would be completely counter productive for Amazon to limit the amount of devices registered to one account. Why would they want to discourage you from buying more Kindles?
Thanks for your help. The only reason I can see for limiting the number registered to one account is to increase the sales of Kindle Books. With the amount of books that I have in my archives that I share with (now) 5 other users, if they were to buy even half of those books, it would be worth the purchase price of about five kindles (each).

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
I have 11 Kindles/Kindle-able devices on my account. I live in Tx, and I have both a K2 and a laptop registered to my account that are in Ca, and another in Az.

SOME books have a limit of simultaneous usage on them, which means the books can only be downloaded on X number of kindles at the same time, however, once you delete a book from a Kindle, it is then free to be downloaded again on another.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Forster said:
I have six on my account. I don't think Amazon limits the number of Kindles on the account but the publishers can limit the number of Kindles/devices that can access a copy of a particular book. So if one owns 6 devices and the publisher limits it to 5 devices once you download the book to 5 different devices, the 6th can't access it.
Yep. I have seven of them on one account for my classroom and it's no problem. But some of the books are only licensed to 5-6 devices at a time, so I only send them to a kindle when someone wants a book from the archives.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts