Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Reviews are opinions.. We all know some people are bothered by homosexuality. So just put that review down to bias, realize we will never completely get rid of it, and move on.
Just consider the source.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I really don't think you have anything to worry about 3/5 stars is fine. it could have been worse, it could have been 1/5 with a dreadful write up. it is possible the reader did not understand the story and that i would also not be upset about. i have read many books by my favorite authors and loved them, but every now and again i come across one i just cant get in to straight away. it doesnt mean the writing is bad or the story is terrible, he may pick it up again in a months time and think it was a fantastic read. I have done this also.
and hey, you are making sales and getting your works known, thats just as important (imho) as any 5/5 star review

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Pick up a mirror and repeat the following:

I am creative.
I am talented.
I wrote a book.
They may like it, they may not and that's ok
I wrote a book.  Did They?
I am lovable.  I am capable and. . .
Gosh darnit, people like.

Fell better?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
healeyb said:
Surprise to me - it seems my ego, unlike the steel I imagined it to be, is more fragile than a faberge egg...

"Shattered Wings" got it's first so-so review (3/5 stars) and it bothers me, even though such things normally don't.

I suspect there may have been some dislike of the fact that the story centers around a gay couple. The reviewer called John's husband, Charlie, his "roommate," and he called the story an "unusual" read... Or maybe I'm just projecting my own rationalization, which is far more likely.

Quick, tell me I'm being petty and stupid! :(
Don't be so hard on yourself. Get away from your PC for a nice long walk. You'll feel better.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Writing is so subjective. One day I received an e-mail from a reader telling me how much he loved the detail I went into describing the city of Chattanooga. The next day I got an e-mail from a lady who said all the time I spent describing the city of Chattanooga was wasted. You can't please everybody.
:)
Larry Buttram
www.larrybuttram.com

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
tell me I'm being petty and stupid!  

You said it. A three star is fab, gosh hate to think how you're gonna feel when you get your first one star, 'cos you will!  ;)

Hey, I had all 'genuine' 5 stars on my second book then a one star that said it was the worst book they'd ever read. This was just after I managed to hook a top agent!

Reviews are subjective!

My firend has been distraught for a whole week becasue someone told her her writing was great and still gave her a one star! Now that sucks. ;-(

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
You are being stupid.

But don't worry, everyone goes a bit stupid after a bad review.

My first bad review was my first one of any kind on Amazon UK, so that really stung. I thought it would kill sales. Boy, was I wrong. Sales shot up. Then I got a five star review. I didn't sell another copy for three days.

Go figure.

·
Registered
624 Posts
A 3 star isn't a bad review.  3 out of 5 is basically average.  It means it was a fine read, but it wasn't great, it wasn't fab.  They didn't LOVE it.  But they didn't hate it.  Reviews are about taste and preference.  Not everyone is going to love every book you write.

Also, from a reader perspective, a book that has only 5 stars reviews makes me suspicious.  An honest 3 star among the 4s and 5s makes me more likely to believe that it's a good read.

Now I'm printing this off and hanging it on my wall to remind myself of it when I get a "bad" or "average" review.  ;D

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
May I pirate copy it as well? ;)

It may well be that the reviewer simply couldn't get their head around a gay couple. It happens. A three-star review isn't bad, so have some chocolate/wine/a dram of whisky or your comfort of choice and let it go.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Shea makes a very good point.

There's nothing like a bad or mixed review amidst all the glittering ones to add about of authenticity to ALL your reviews.

So many authors have only one or two reviews and they are glowing. A lot of people actively mistrust those kind of reviews (whether they are genuine or not) and click on to the next book.

This is just my gut speaking, I have no real evidence for this, but I think that reviews don't have a huge effect on sales until you have lots of them - say 20 or more. That's what you should be aiming for (and a good average).

I think when readers see something with 20 or 40 reviews that has a good average, it really helps with that potential sale.

Dave

P.S. Anyone may pirate copy my avatar. After all I pirated copied it myself!

At least it does when I'm shopping.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Fragile egoes are common among artists. It's a well known occurrence :)
If it makes you feel better, as a reader I rarely check the five stars reviews. I first read the bad reviews, and normally I buy a book depending on what I find between the lines. The generic "loved it" doesn't help me to make a decision. On the other hand, someone who didn't like the book I am checking, but took the time to write about it, can be more specific, and helpful. If, for example, someone wrote that a novel is terrible because it challenges certain preset society rules, I will be intrigued enough to give that book a try.
And, finally, although as a writer I wish everybody tons of genuine five stars reviews, because we all gave birth to our babies without epidural, a three stars review isn't bad at all :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts