Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
I had the opposite idea and decided to raise the price of my book to 4.99 for the month of June or until I finish its impending sequel, whichever comes first. I don't really expect it to be a very successful experiment, I'm just toying around and seeing what price might work best for my promotionless strategy.

G

·
You should skip the $1.99 price. It's kind of no man's land...too much for those looking for books that are as cheap as possible, and not enough to get the 70%.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
I'm also experimenting with $1.99 for the month of June, but I want the slash through my price on Amazon to show it's a sale, so I've lowered it at Smashwords and have had several people report the lower price, so I'm waiting for them to price match. So unfortunately I can't begin my experiment quite yet.

But Amazon really ought to price match when you think about it. At $2.99 (what I'm currently at), they're only making 97 cents per book sold. If they price match to $1.99, even though they're technically selling it for less, they actually make more. They'd be keeping $1.29 per book sold.

You hear that, Amazon? It's to your advantage to lower my price, damnit!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I tried an experiment myself.  I've got one book out right now.  I had set the price to 99 cents on both E-Pub and ADP.  Smashwords isn't doing a thing, so I'm not counting those numbers anymore.

On the Kindle version, I changed the price to $2.99 to get the 70% royalty.  I left the B&N priced at 99 cents.

The very next day, Amazon discounted the book back down to 99 cents.  I still get the 70%.  I changed this two days prior to my Kindle Nation Daily ad.  As far as I know, B&N does not do price matching.  Can anybody confirm this?

·
Registered
692 Posts
I plan to start an experiment in July when I release the third book in my series. I plan to raise all my books to $4.99, except for the new release, which will be at .99 for two weeks only. Then I'll raise it. I want to see how it goes. The books have some momentum, which I don't want to kill, but I'm also a little tired of hearing "this was better than I expected for a .99 book." So that's my plan.

I reserve the right to change the plan at any time.  :)

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
foreverjuly said:
You should skip the $1.99 price. It's kind of no man's land...too much for those looking for books that are as cheap as possible, and not enough to get the 70%.
I just bought a book at $1.99 (sorry, not one of healeyb's); probably wouldn't have made an impulse buy at $2.99, my virtual TBR pile is to high.

Betsy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts