Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure, they're not PAID readers exactly, LOL, but I completed my first LibraryThing! giveaway today and got a list of 78 folks who signed up for a copy of MOST LIKELY (eBook).

There's a rational part of me that says, "This is great! Word of mouth will spread! More sales will come out of this!"

Then there's the less-rational part of me that fears, "These are the only people left who ever were gonna buy this book... and you just gave it away to them for free, sucka!"

;)

LOL

Anyway, that's at least four times as many readers as had bought it to date, so... yeah. :) Hopefully I get some reviews and word-of-mouth sales out of it. :)

G

·
Definitely no reason to think they would have bought the book and beat yourself up over it. These are not lost sales. I hope it helps. And if worse comes to worse, bad reviews on librarything aren't going to do any damage.

·
Registered
119 Posts
78 is a great number.  I hope you receive lots of great reviews. I think any reader is great, paid or not.  If they like your book they will tell someone about it which equals a sale.  ;)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
This is a very good thing. Those are 78 possible reviews. Don't get your hopes up that they all will review, but it's going to result in at least ten or so reviews.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Neat! I haven't tried this yet. I would totally be afraid no one would sign up! So don't worry, if 78 people are interested, your book is interesting to a LOT more people...

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
That is wonderful, Craig!!!  Now you know that there is an audience out there who are interested.  This is good knowledge to have.  Now you just need to find others like them and promote.  :)

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sybil Nelson said:
This is a very good thing. Those are 78 possible reviews. Don't get your hopes up that they all will review, but it's going to result in at least ten or so reviews.
That'd be great.

Also, of the 78, I noticed at least one from Germany, 3-4 from the UK, and a couple from "the land down under..."

So maybe in the future, my UK and DE BBOS's might actually go away. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Good luck! I've got a Giveaway there that ends tomorrow, so I've been watching your numbers climb, too. Please let us know what the results are!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Woo hoo! Those are great numbers. I know the fearful feeling, but it is wrong, I tell you--giving away to that number of people is a great thing. No more second guessing! ;)

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PJJones said:
Awesome! But what is a LibraryThing?
http://www.librarything.com/

It's a site a little bit like GoodReads and Shelfari.

The difference is that authors can do eBook giveaways, not just print (as GoodReads asks for).

Plus, there seem to be a fair number of book clubbers, book bloggers and even librarians there, so if you have a print version via CreateSpace and chose ProPlan, it can give you a shot in the arm (possibly) to your potential print and library sales. :)

Very reader-oriented site, but welcomes indie authors and eBooks just a bit more than similar sites.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
VKScott said:
Good luck! I've got a Giveaway there that ends tomorrow, so I've been watching your numbers climb, too. Please let us know what the results are!
Will do!

Thanks, also, to Jeanne and Cidney and all others posting messages of encouragement. :)

(Also, calling all horror writers to this nostalgia thread: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,76827.0.html)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Congratulations, Craig! 78 new readers who are interested in and specifically signed up to get your book is nothing to sneeze at. I think it's awesome and hope this is the start/continuation of great things for you.

~Heidi

·
Registered
991 Posts
Excellent! Thanks for sharing. I will definitely have to join! I think 78 readers is awesome. Don't think of the sales you lose now, but the sales you will gain later.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
It was a really smart move in my opinion, Craig.  You released at such a tough time that I'm not surprised that the book needs a jump start, no matter how good it is.  If a third of those people like it, they'll tell a friend, and they'll tell a friend (I'll bet you remember that Prell commercial from long long ago.)

Snodgrass Vacation was selling about 50 copies a month pre-June, when it went free for two weeks.  Now it's going at a 500/month pace (although I have some nasty reviews who thought a stupid Disney spoof was going to be a deep, mind-expanding tome)...

·
Registered
667 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, Craig, because you might well encounter wild success with your recent development. However, I'm done with LibraryThing. I gave away 25 copies of my latest novel, and got NO reviews. No noticeable sales bump, either. They're just looking for freebies over there.

In addition, it's a huge, unwieldy site. Very difficult to find your way around. They're way strict about not promoting your books anywhere but one forum, which is totally made up of authors promoting books. Not easy to stand out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mike Dennis said:
Not to rain on your parade, Craig, because you might well encounter wild success with your recent development. However, I'm done with LibraryThing. I gave away 25 copies of my latest novel, and got NO reviews. No noticeable sales bump, either. They're just looking for freebies over there.

In addition, it's a huge, unwieldy site. Very difficult to find your way around. They're way strict about not promoting your books anywhere but one forum, which is totally made up of authors promoting books. Not easy to stand out.
Mike,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I don't blame you for not wanting to continue with LibraryThing. I'll have to see what my own results are from my Giveaway, but I think that in this "Wild West" era of self-publishing, we're all just trying to throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. Every bit of data helps, so, again, thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts