Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was May 2002, when my father complained of an uneasiness in his stomach, he was experiencing slight pain in generally the lower abdomen. My father was a healthy person otherwise, with no major complaints apart from aches in the leg which we normally attributed to his walking long distances, as that was his hobby and he was very environment conscious in the times when people were not talking about environment or it had not become a fad to talk about.

We gave him the usual home therapy for uneasiness, but the complaint persisted hence we took him to our family physician who was also like a family member. She immediately suspected something fishy and asked us to get a sonography done. The result was shocking for our family. My father was suffering from a unique syndrome atleast at the time we thought it was unique, his stomach was getting filled with fluid, and there was literally water slushing around, the only difference being water was not inside his stomach it was in the outer membrane of the lining of the abdomen.

One thing led to another and within a week we came to know that he was in an advanced stage of cancer and the prognosis was he had 6 months or less time. This was even a bigger shock. Our entire family went into a hyper mode, no expense was spared no doctor worth his salt was left unconsulted, cousins sprang into action, with one motto how do we save this man.

Doctors said there was only one last recourse "Chemotherapy" and the chances were about 2% of survival in hindsight we now know that when doctors said 2% they were saying look this person is certain to die 98%, but we hung on to that 2% and convinced, cajoled and pushed our father into accepting "Chemotherapy" or "Chemo".

The rest is history, our father who looked and was health till 15th of May 2002, died in exactly 95 days of starting the treatment, but the death was very painful because "Chemo" and other treatments took its toll on his body. He lost 60% of his weight, he was 75 Kilos and 6 feet tall, a personality to reckon for at his death bed he was 35 kilos, had lost all his body hair, not only on the head but every where on the body including his eyebrows.

We have never seen anyone Nauseating so much, Vomiting Somuch, he could not eat nor drink water, he could not withstand any smells be it of a perfume, cooking, incense, he became silent, he had hiccups all the time.

The medicines we gave on doctors advise to stop abdominal cramps attacked his Kidneys, his bile was now green in color, he could not pass stools, the last 3 days we had to drain fluids in his stomach twice, and the way to drain fluids is similar to puncturing a rubber balloon. Yes, a qualified MD would stick a needle attached to a IV tube in his abdomen and drain out fluids from his stomach, little did we know the fluid being drained was precious nutrients and his organs which were dissolving rapidly in a soup.

The effect could have been combined and enhanced by the Chemotherapy treatment given to him. This is not a blame game I am writing about, what I am trying to do here is that people who are ignorant should know what is Chemotherapy and how to deal with the side effects.

It is now 8 years since my father has passed away but the spectre is still fresh in my mind, its an experience which I hope no one should undergo but I know for a fact that many cancer patients will personally go through it and their family members will have to be on the side and see her/him slowly wither away.

Note: This book is not intended to slander any treatment, Physicians, Doctors, Drug Companies, I am not naming any Doctors, Drug Companies, Physicians, or anyone connected with the treatment of Cancer Patients, as they are fighting a losing battle, they are doing their best, but sometimes they forget that they are treating a human being and not a subject.

This book is written to serve as a guide to the unknown who will tread on the path of Chemotherapy and hope that they get well and give hope. The book is available here http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HFRJ1W

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Kulin-

Welcome to KindleBoards and congratulations on your book!

A brief recap of our rules follows:

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information. You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days. Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link. Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows. This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles! Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post. For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,36.0.html. Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Oh, and one more thing: be sure to check out the index threads at the top of the Book Bazaar. . . .there are details there about how you can be listed so that our readers can find you.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards! Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators

·
Registered
61 Posts
My heart goes out to you, but not everyone goes through what your father went through.  It's been a while since your father passed away and a lot of new advances have been made since then.  I started chemo the first week of February, 2011.  I was concerned about all the side effects.  I too lost my hair and eyelashes and mustache and goatee.  I was also more tired than usual.  Food didn't have much taste either. But that was it.  They give you benedryl before the chemo now and I was never nauseous.  I also gained weight on the chemo.  I don't presume to know your situation or what point they found your father in but all of us react differently to the chemo.  I too only have 6-12 to live.  In fact, the chemo didn't work for me.  They just started me on a new drug that was recently approved by the FDA called Yervoy.  It's side effects are supposed to be worse than chemo and even after my first treatment I haven't had any of them.  Again, I'm very sorry for your loss but not all patients go through what your father went through.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scott Doornbosch said:
My heart goes out to you, but not everyone goes through what your father went through. It's been a while since your father passed away and a lot of new advances have been made since then. I started chemo the first week of February, 2011. I was concerned about all the side effects. I too lost my hair and eyelashes and mustache and goatee. I was also more tired than usual. Food didn't have much taste either. But that was it. They give you benedryl before the chemo now and I was never nauseous. I also gained weight on the chemo. I don't presume to know your situation or what point they found your father in but all of us react differently to the chemo. I too only have 6-12 to live. In fact, the chemo didn't work for me. They just started me on a new drug that was recently approved by the FDA called Yervoy. It's side effects are supposed to be worse than chemo and even after my first treatment I haven't had any of them. Again, I'm very sorry for your loss but not all patients go through what your father went through.
Dear Scott,

Thank you for your compassion. I can only offer you peace and pray to God to give you the strength and will power to fight against the terrible disease you are fighting. As you rightly said Chemo works differently for different people but mostly it doesn't work, as in my father's case and your case.

My book is on how to deal with the side effects of Chemotherapy as it is a known devil. There will constantly be new drugs which come out but Chemotherapy is here to stay for a long time before it is substituted by other nano technology drugs which act specifically on cancer cells and not on all body cells.

In third world countries the scenario is even worse since patients look upon doctors as God and blindly follow what they recommend which is good in most cases, but I found out that in the case of cancer one has to take the advise with a pinch of salt. Unfortunately in most cases the patients do not have much time left with them to do any research and also lack resources to do so.

In your case try a herbal therapy of Honey and Cinnamon which is found to work wonders, take both in moderation such as a pinch of cinnamon powder with a tablespoon of Honey every morning.

Regards

Kulin Shah

1 - 5 of 5 Posts