Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Art Epstein said:
It would be interesting to know which price inspires more gravitas.
In my opinion, the only thing which improves or destroys credibility is the quality of the writing. If someone downloads a free sample and isn't impressed, they won't spend 0.99 let alone 2.99.

John

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
John M. Dow said:
In my opinion, the only thing which improves or destroys credibility is the quality of the writing. If someone downloads a free sample and isn't impressed, they won't spend 0.99 let alone 2.99.

John
I agree. I sample almost everything for that reason.

G

·
Price is overrated as any sort of meaningful factor. The fact that so many writers seem concerned with price, pour angst and blood all over .99 or free or 2.99 blah blah blah, tells me they need a sharp whack and a chair-to-ass solution.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I agree with the others who have replied. Start with the quality of the book. Then, I think anything under $5 will sell. To me (and I believe to many others), $3.99 or less for a book is an impulse purchase.

Sure, many people trawl the Amazon lists for ONLY free or 99-cent books. But you can't make a living on those people. They aren't really solid customers; they're just an audience wanting you to entertain them for free. Anybody can attract an audience if he or she is willing to give stuff away.

Instead, I want people who love what I write, enough to pay me something reasonable for my efforts.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Robert Bidinotto said:
I agree with the others who have replied. Start with the quality of the book. Then, I think anything under $5 will sell. To me (and I believe to many others), $3.99 or less for a book is an impulse purchase.

Sure, many people trawl the Amazon lists for ONLY free or 99-cent books. But you can't make a living on those people. They aren't really solid customers; they're just an audience wanting you to entertain them for free. Anybody can attract an audience if he or she is willing to give stuff away.

Instead, I want people who love what I write, enough to pay me something reasonable for my efforts.
Thanks Robert. Times are tough at the moment. Even regular work is hard to come by.
But, the writing must go on.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I, too, will impulse buy anything under $5. I'll pay a little more--but not more than the paperback version--for e-books from authors I've read and enjoyed before.

As a reader, I want e-books priced at least 30% less than print. So if the paperback is $10, I'd start to look cross-eyed at e-books over $7. I do realize that not all authors have control of this pricing, so no slight against authors who can't change excess e-book pricing.

I do love that with e-books it's instant reading gratification. You don't get that with print books online (have to wait for the shipping, even if it's overnight). This is a good selling point for e-books.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Robert Bidinotto said:
Sure, many people trawl the Amazon lists for ONLY free or 99-cent books.
I find it interesting that in the also boughts for my .99 Novella, all the other books are free or .99. Rarely do I see anything higher.

In the also boughts for my 2.99 collection of short stories, everything else is in that price range or higher. (The only .99 book in my also boughts at the 2.99 price point is my novella.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts