Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just stumbled across this article from an Australian source:

4.7-Inch Amazon Kindle Phablet at $US100 Reportedly in the Works?
By Erik Pineda

And the phablet explosion continues with Amazon likely to be the latest entrant. The online retail giant will soon release its phablet version that new reports said will begin selling by June 2013 at starting price of $US100.

The Amazon smartphone debut seeks to hit it big, at least on the screen size department, which according to DigiTimes will measure 4.7-inch, upgrading from the company's earlier plan of 4.3-inch.

"The company was previously considering a 4.3-inch screen but later scrapped the idea after witnessing increased demand for larger size screens among consumers," the DigiTimes report said, citing its usual unnamed sources.

Specs-wise, the new gadget from remains a mystery though the same report hinted that "Amazon has also reportedly been working on enhancing other specifications of the smartphone."

While no specific details were provided by Amazon, experts assumed that the new gadget features will largely replicate the Kindle Fire model, with a strong possibility that the Kindle brand will be carried over to the upcoming phablet.

As seen in previous Amazon devices, the Kindle smartphone will stand on a heavily-customised Android platform that hides the Google environment to push Amazon's own ecosystem.

One advantage with this is the unit's ready access with premium Amazon services like Amazon Instant Video, according to Gotta Be Mobile.

But the downsides are huge too. Users of this Kindle phablet will be forced to miss out on popular Google services like Google Maps, Google Now and Google Play, where hundreds of thousands of apps are downloadable for free.

However, advance users can always replace the Kindle's stock OS with custom ROMs in order to enjoy the best Android experience with the Amazon hardware, which is expected to rollout with the same premium specs found on the Kindle Fire HD.

Consumers can expect the Kindle phablet release to happen by Q2 2013, with June as the latest rollout target for Amazon.

Amazon is known to retail its devices with attractive price marks in order to lure more buyers and possibly higher after-sales revenues so BGR News expects the Kindle smartphone's price tag to hover between $US100 and $US250.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/451219/20130328/4-7-inch-amazon-kindle-phablet-us100.htm#.UVXE-hyfjmM

·
Super Moderator
67,442 Posts
My only question is: what network does it use?

Still, I'm not likely to switch phones. . . . . .

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
musclehead said:
What's a "phablet"? Is it simply phabulous?
From Wikipedia:

Phablet (/ˈfæblɪt/, a portmanteau of the words phone and tablet) also known as a "Gigantophone" and "PhoneTab" is a class of smartphones with screen sizes ranging between 5 and 7 inches and designed to combine or straddle the functionalities of a smartphone and tablet.

It was a new word to me, too.

L

·
5,974 Posts
Ooooh, shiny new Kindle toy ... *grabby hands*

No, wait. Stop right there. I don't need a new phone, or a new tablet.

Yeah, but, pretty and a big screen and all integratey with my other Kindle stuff ...

But. I. Don't. Need. It.

I know, but .... *whines*

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Shoot, my Iphone just died and I got the AT&t Pantech for 99 cents two weeks ago. Why couldn't the Iphone have held out for another three months? <sigh>

·
Registered
89 Posts
Very interesting....I'd consider it, depending on the pricepoints...how much for the phablet itself, how much for the talk/text/data usage, etc. Contract, no contract, what carrier.  My husband and I each had a smartphone & data plan through Verizon in the past but we downgraded to basic phones when our contract ended; it was simply costing us too much in the long run.  But for the right price, I'd love to have a smartphone again.

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
If it is $100 without a contract, they'll have to cut so many corners on the hardware that I won't want one. If that is a contract price, I'll consider it, but I doubt I'd want to shift to the strictly Amazon version of Android.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I would buy a device that was the Kindle equivalent of the iPod touch. I use my Kindle Keyboard to play Audio books, but that's a little clumsy. If we had the "KPod Touch" that could read books, do audio books, and MP3, that would be good. I could just get an iPod touch, of course, but I'd have to get my apps all over again. Then again, most of them were free apps. I could get an el-cheapo MP3 player, but that wouldn't read e-books, and couldn't play Audible books.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Interesting but most smartphones these days are 4.3-4.7 (not named iphone)... 5" readers are a hard sell (see Sony's attempts.. Though they nailed it viewing pdfs) . Kindle e-ink sizes seemed to hit it on the nail. Then again, there's a niche market for every size these days.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

1 - 13 of 13 Posts