Kindle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here: http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2011/05/real-skinny-about-indie-publishing.html

This was the part that jumped out at me:

The first thing I've noticed is that there's still a mental division between the indie world and the traditional world, despite many authors having success on both sides of the line. The most astounding part of this to me is that most of the really successful indie authors, started by publishing their traditional backlist.

.. sometimes I think people miss the distinction between a successful indie that started with a traditional backlist and an indie that is starting from absolute, 100% scratch. Obviously, it can be done (see: Amanda Hocking, Victorine Lieski, David Dalglish), but it's a completely different animal, for sure...

One thing to note about Lieski and Dalglish though, and which I think is amazingly encouraging, is that you don't have to be Amanda Hocking to make a living as an indie. Lieski and Dalglish aren't millionaires (yet), but they're writing full time and supporting their families. That's amazing, and it says to me that indie authorship is actually more similar to traditional publishing than one might think.
I'm not sure I agree that most successful indies start with a backlist. Certainly some of the really bestselling ones do (Bella Andre, J.A. Konrath), but there are plenty that are starting from scratch, too (some of whom are mentioned above). At the most, I'd guess it splits fifty-fifty. Anyway, I thought I'd bring the link over here for discussion.

·
Registered
196 Posts
EllenFisher said:
Here: http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2011/05/real-skinny-about-indie-publishing.html

This was the part that jumped out at me:

I'm not sure I agree that most successful indies start with a backlist. Certainly some of the really bestselling ones do (Bella Andre, J.A. Konrath), but there are plenty that are starting from scratch, too (some of whom are mentioned above). At the most, I'd guess it splits fifty-fifty. Anyway, I thought I'd bring the link over here for discussion.
It certainly helps to have the name recognition of having previously been on a bookshelf somewhere.
And it helps to have been writing for a long time. But there are plenty of us who have been writing for
a long time (without traditionally publishing any of it). We have a backlist too. Watch out... here we come! :D

Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts