Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until now, we have had one board (The Book Corner) for book discussions, and as a result this board has attracted both reader discussions and author promotional posts.

Our moderator team has decided it is time to try separating the "reader" book discussions from the author book promo posts - - and we plan to do it in a way that still gives a good audience to our authors and their works.

I know that this an issue that many of our members (including author members) feel strongly about. Thank you for bearing with me and the mods as we work through this. And thank you in advance for viewing this change for what it is: our best attempt to do what is best for the health and growth of this forum, and governed by our resolve to address this issue fairly for everyone involved.

Here's an outline of the changes that will go into place this weekend:

1 - We are creating a new board, called the Book Bazaar, at the same level as the Book Corner (i.e., directly accessible from the site's main index). The tagline for the board: "Share announcements of free and bargain books, and interact with our authors"

2 - In that new board, we have:
- a sticky for Free Books (we'll move the sticky that is now in the Book Corner)
- a sticky for Bargain Books (again moving the sticky that is now in Book Corner)
- a sticky for Authors Here at KindleBoards (this is the thread that Leslie maintains, basically an index of KindleBoards members who are authors)
- and, promo threads from authors.

The Book Bazaar is thus not just a place for author promo threads, it's also a place to find free and bargain books.

3 - The resulting board structure will look like this:

- Book Corner
- sticky: I want this book on Kindle
- sticky: Books recommended by our members
- sticky: Book lovers' links
- followed by reader discussion threads about books

- Book Bazaar - sticky: Free books May 2009
- sticky: Bargain books May 2009
- sticky: Authors here at KindleBoards
- followed by author promo threads

4 - We will apply the same guidelines (i.e. one thread per book, no gratuitous bumps, etc.) to author promotional posts as we do now. We will move or delete promotional threads and posts from other boards when people forget the above guideline. We will also move or delete posts that in our sole opinion are "sock puppet" posts - i.e. threads or posts made by an author under an assumed name or by someone else on behalf of the author. The preceding rules are here because we care about our authors, and we don't want any of them to be hurt or unfairly overshadowed by overzealous authors.

5 - We will showcase authors, by having a rotating series of blogs where we point people to specific authors/books in the new board. We're thinking that interviews with authors about themselves and their books would be a fun and interesting addition to our blog.

6 - We are thinking about having a scheduled author "tea" in the chat room. Details on that will be forthcoming, and we welcome your feedback on that idea.

7 - Naturally, authors are free to post non-promotional posts anywhere in the boards, just like any other member.

8 - Authors may have links to their books in their signatures. These appear, of course, throughout the board wherever the author posts.

Let's try this out. Thanks, everyone. With your support, these boards will continue to improve and to be the premiere online destination for anyone who owns or has an interest in Kindle.

- Your mod team

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Thank you. Even if I didn't agree with your decision, I would thank you. Running a board demands the wisdom of Solomon, and good luck with that!

I do agree with you though that it's worth trying. I believe it will be good for the authors as well as the readers. I think some of the more, um, insistent promoters will sell more books now that they're not inadvertently turning off the readership. The writers who're doing it right will still do it right and continue to gain readers through both their professionalism and value as board members/just-plain-old-folkiness!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Thanks Harvey and all of our mods.

I'll check into the Book Bazaar and keep watching the Book Korner

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Thank you Harvey and the Mods. This sound good. I think it will be good for the member of the KB, the readers and the authors.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I was against the idea of a separate author section before, but then we got flooded with new authors (LOL). I think the approach Harvey and the mods have taken with this is a great one. Putting the bargain and free threads over there too will guarantee traffic. It's a win-win for everyone involved.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Nicely done, everyone! As grating as I find the individuals who constantly over-promote, I wasn't too enthusiastic initially about the idea of separating the boards because I didn't want the authors to feel shoved aside, so I just stopped visiting the Book Corner... but I think this is a wonderful compromise. Great idea to include the bargain/freebies threads there! The author showcase and "tea" chat are also inspired decisions. I hope this is a change that everyone can be happy with.

...Maybe now I can start browsing the Book Corner again.  =)

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Thanks to all of YOU.  The initial response to the proposed changes is really gratifying as we've been working very hard to find a balance that serves our membership.

Betsy

·
Registered
250 Posts
IMO, moving the free and bargain threads to the BB is a stroke of sheer genius.

Well done, Harvey and mods.  Great job!

Thank you for all that you do.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I like Book Bazaar.  That covers everything you are likely to find in that board. 

Thanks for supporting the authors instead of shoving us aside.  I know it must have been difficult to come up with this solution and you and the mods are to be congratulated. 

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
A big thanks to Harvey & our Moderating staff--I think this will be a terrific solution.  Having the Free & Bargain threads will keep the traffic coming to the new section, so our authors don't have to fear that they're being isolated away from potential readers, and the generalized book discussions won't be lost any longer among all the author initiated threads.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Thanks again, Harvey and moderators, I am sure it was hard to come up with a solution that was fair to everyone.

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
I like the idea.
I didn't like some of the barrage from some new authors.
But I am concerned that we don't drive away some authors, especially our old friends.
But what's done is done.
Just sayin.....

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Geoff. . discussions of our member-authors' books, started by other members, are welcome in the book corner.  And, of course, all members, whether authors or not, can participate in any of the forums.  The book bazaar section is like Portobello Road:  you can find almost anything, and lots of it is on sale.  You may even come upon an unexpected gem!  And, be assured, this was discussed long and hard because we especially did NOT want to drive away 'old friends'.

Ann

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Geoff. . discussions of our member-authors' books, started by other members, are welcome in the book corner. And, of course, all members, whether authors or not, can participate in any of the forums. The book bazaar section is like Portobello Road: you can find almost anything, and lots of it is on sale. You may even come upon an unexpected gem! And, be assured, this was discussed long and hard because we especially did NOT want to drive away 'old friends'.

Ann
Ann, it shows that you worked long and hard. You came up with some very creative solutions.

Can I mention again how much I like the title of the new board? Book Bazaar. I suddenly have this urge to watch Bedknobs and Broomsticks. ;D

Thanks again.

Gertie

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
Can I mention again how much I like the title of the new board? Book Bazaar. I suddenly have this urge to watch Bedknobs and Broomsticks. ;D
See that's EXACTLY what I was thinking! But calling it Portobello Road might have been confusing to some. Besides Book Bazaar has nice alliteration. :D

Ann

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
See that's EXACTLY what I was thinking! But calling it Portobello Road might have been confusing to some. Besides Book Bazaar has nice alliteration. :D

Ann
Yes, it does. And everyone loves a bazaar.

I was clicking on "find new replies to your posts" and it kept going to threads with nothing new in them. Then I realized you were already switching over. Quick work.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Well, once the decision was made. . . .we wanted to be minimally disruptive. .  . .thank Harvey most. . . .he worked on things in the night. . . . .

Ann

1 - 20 of 35 Posts