Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted an e-reader for quite a while, but have been waiting for some features and a price (obviously didn't happen with k 2.0) drop.

Is there a way to take notes with the keyboard on the books you're reading?

last time a checked a year or so ago all the pdf converter out there supposedly weren't great (mangled pics and text?) Have things gotten better?

Was this .10 transfer fee for "your own" files ever hacked with 1.0?  Can you put files on 2.0 directly?

Can I load a few mp3's to listen to while reading onto the device?  thanks

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Is there a way to take notes with the keyboard on the books you're reading?
Yes.

last time a checked a year or so ago all the pdf converter out there supposedly weren't great (mangled pics and text?) Have things gotten better?
It does not appear that the file conversion process has changed, so it's likely that complex PDFs will still have conversion issues.

Was this .10 transfer fee for "your own" files ever hacked with 1.0? Can you put files on 2.0 directly?
Based on all of our users' comments, none of them have ever been charged a conversion fee. Yes, you can move files to the Kindle manually via USB.

Can I load a few mp3's to listen to while reading onto the device?
Yes, but there isn't memory for a lot of MP3s since the limit of the new Kindle is 2GB.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bacardi Jim said:
Also, any MP3's you load play randomly. You cannot set an order.
I can see how that would annoy some, but when I listen to music while reading it's really ambient or classical stuff, so it doesn't really need to be in order.

It has everything I want, but the PRICE is hard to justify in these times. I may just read my backlog of books for a year and wait for competition to catch up at a lower price point.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Also, any MP3's you load play randomly. You cannot set an order.
Very true. And with classical music with several movements, it IS a problem.

However, for what it's worth (not very much) you can put favorite mp3s under the documents folder instead and then you can choose those to play at any given time. However, you can't read a Kindle book at the same time, so it's not worth much. Maybe leaving the book do something else, you can choose a favorite piece of music. But then it's a bit of a battery-drainer so that's best if it's plugged in, I guess.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
This is a welcome change. Not just for MP3's, but for folks who have audiobooks (not Audible) that are split into several parts.
LSbookend, that is an excellent! change (for short lists).

Jim, I had read that Audible audiobooks, if put into Audible folder, will read internal segments in the right order. (Kindle1)... This was after I'd read they were in random order but that might have been confused with playing mp3's ? Maybe people meant audiobooks from other sources in straight mp3 format?

G

·
artsandhistoryfan said:
Maybe people meant audiobooks from other sources in straight mp3 format?
I never did find out exactly what format the person who came to me for help's audiobook was in--merely that it wasn't an Audible book and was in 80+ parts. The K1 offered no way to listen to it in order. Her only option was to edit the whole thing into one file... and then listen to the whole thing in one sitting. Not workable.

Audible is natively supported and will play in order.

·
Registered
65 Posts
debudebu said:
I can see how that would annoy some, but when I listen to music while reading it's really ambient or classical stuff, so it doesn't really need to be in order.

It has everything I want, but the PRICE is hard to justify in these times. I may just read my backlog of books for a year and wait for competition to catch up at a lower price point.
I'm actually not really spending anything on books. There are so many free titles you can get from various sites it's awesome. If you want current best sellers, though, you can spend alot on the books.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts